VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Gateway OEM Voodoo 3 1000 8MB AGP card (143Mhz) and last year when I tested it I found that it displayed image corruption in a couple games I used for testing. For example, in Need for Speed: High Stakes parts of the HUD are just large blank white or colored rectangles (like the green light at the start of the race). Also, in Descent 3 there would be a crazy yellow image corruption issue whenever you could see the outside terrain (either out a window or through a doorway)... all the walls\floors on the screen have yellow and orange bands on them (object models are normal). Leaving the area where you can see the outdoors make the corruption go away instantly.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I know these are unusual cards, since they are 8MB, and I have to force drivers to install on these (tried three different packages, none are listed as compatible). There may be something wrong with the card's memory, but I'm not sure. Choosing the "limit texture memory to 2MB" in the 3dfx Glide options fixes the HUD corruption in NFS:HS, but has no effect on the corruption in D3.

Any suggestions are welcome. I can post pics if it would help.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 3, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use the latest AmigaMerlin drivers for your operating system. It should fix your issues.
Congratulations on the Voodoo 3 1000, I really like this card and it is a great piece of OEM VGA history!

Reply 3 of 3, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:

Use the latest AmigaMerlin drivers for your operating system. It should fix your issues.
Congratulations on the Voodoo 3 1000, I really like this card and it is a great piece of OEM VGA history!

That's the strange thing. I've tried the amigamerlin drivers and they aren't meant for this card either... I have to force them to install and have the same issues.

I even found a driver somewhere that said it was for a V3 1k and it also made no difference. I know there are 16MB 125Mhz 1k cards with no heatsinks out there (I have one of those too), so it's possible the driver is meant for these.

I'll get some pics of the card and a picture of the information it's BIOS displays at startup.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.