VOGONS

First post, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello VOGONS members!

I would like to know what this retro gaming community uses for their retro PC activities. Therefore, I have created a Straw Poll to quickly find out what you guys (and gals) like to use. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give your time to answer a silly little question like this. Thanks!

Here's the link to the Straw Poll:
https://www.strawpoll.me/15132777

Enjoy! (Can you enjoy something like this? *shrugs* 😀 )

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 1 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting poll, but very heavy on specifics for non-period monitors and completely lacking for period CRTs.

What about:
- 4:3 or widescreen (yes, widescreen CRTs were a thing, look up the Sony GDM-FW900 for a prime example)
- curved CRT screen or flat CRT screen
- shadow mask or trinitron/diamondtron tube

Screen diagonal and horizontal scan rate also spring to mind - back in the day most people had <=15" things with less than 50kHz horizontal scan (so you could suffer with 1024x768@60Hz, but really 800x600@75Hz was about the best usable setting). I'm 'period' enough to use a CRT for retro stuff, but not that much of a masochist, so I have a nice 17" Iiyama HM704UTC from 2001 with flat Diamondtron tube and horizontal scan up to 96kHz. Somewhat anachronistic when paired with a 486, but we all have our choices & concessions. Others would choose to go with a 14" aquarium tube and fuzzy wobbly picture, but I had enough of that from 1987-1999 and don't want to go back - but I'd be interested to see how many choose what when it comes to their CRT.

Reply 2 of 6, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please forgive my very generalized and more-modern-monitors biased Straw Poll. I'm a youngling, so a lot of the points you brought up never even occured to me, nor did I know such things existed. 😀

You know, after I let this Straw Poll, maybe I should do a Straw Poll focused specifically on CRTs, no?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 3 of 6, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This modern bias worked too well for me as I use my everyday monitor for my actual retro build too. My main rig is connected via DVI, D-SUB goes into whatever VGA is in the pile of parts next to my right elbow. I have a few canned monitors (like my previous widescreen one but that's even worse as it can't detect anything as 4:3 or a big Samsung 214T which is 4:3 and would be perfect if it wasn't yellowed out and in a run-down shape to the point I'm considering taking it back to the scrapyard) but it's the most convenient option.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 4 of 6, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The "junk" CRTs I use for testing old computers actually have (apart from size) a better image than my main LCD screen, because the LCD is capped at 60 fps but the CRTs can go up to 80+. Games run noticeably smoother on them.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 6, by Ltsyrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Personally, I like LCD monitors with built-in TV tuners, that is giving a lot of flexibility. Actually I have 4 computers connected to one monitor ("modern" PC via HDMI, retro PC via VGA, Amiga via SCART and C64 via antennae cable). Though CRTs have indeed better image quality when used with older systems.
I also have one IBM 5151 for Hercules Graphic Cards.

Reply 6 of 6, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1988 NEC MultiSync II JC-1402-HMA - I pulled it out of a trash pile at a computer repair shop for free over a year ago. Just needed it's 9 pin connector in back touched up, and it had the VGA converter on it so I couild use it with my 286 and 486 too. I did do my usual mod to it by drilling 2 holes in the side so I can do Focus and Voltage on the flyback with the cover on - I've been doing that with my CRT monitors since 2005 - helps me get more life out of them.

Once I move I plan to look for some more monitors, toying with looking around for one of those old Zenith Data Systems ZCM-1490 VGA monitors for my 286 and maybe a nicer SVGA for my 486. The main reason I love using the MultiSync is because it works on the Tandy 1000 as well as my other two VGA machines, and I even ran it on my Win10 box once for giggles - it worked.

Attachments

• IMG_20170113_160104602.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170113_160104602.jpg
    File size
    50.71 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Date Tag on the back.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20170117_213353173.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170117_213353173.jpg
    File size
    200.61 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Shot running Dazzle in DOS on my 286 (when my 486 was borrowing it's case)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/