VOGONS

First post, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm very new to benchmarking, but I've always had fun being surprised by how much tweaking affected performance.

I somehow came to test how well Project 64 (N64) would run on my old PC after upgrading to a PIII. I was absolutely blown away since the game I tested not only ran at full speed, but also without any graphical glitches! The last time I tried the same thing was on an HP Vectra with a 500MHz Katmai and a Matrox G200, which simply didn't cut it; got stuttery gameplay, missing textures and terrible audio.

The real surprise came when I tried it with a TNT2 M64 - there was absolutely no performance loss, despite the system requirements stating the GeForce256 was the oldest card that would still run it! I must say, though, those developers may have been a bit off , since this is a 600E running the game with one of the lowest end cards of 1999, and 100MHz below their recommendation of at least a 700MHz PIII. I'm just wondering if the 133MHz FSB is really that powerful now.

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 1 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

N64 emulation is all graphical glitches unless you go the Angrylion / SoftGraphic route...

Also a lot of system requirements from hobbyist projects such as emulators are just rough estimates and the line they'll draw for acknowledging bugs/technical support than a technical requirement. Jabo's Direct3D6 by design isn't Geforce256 demanding...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 9, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm currently being surprised by how awful some later nVidia drivers (21.81, 21.83, and 45.23) perform on my K6 MVP3 system. It's particularly bad in Unreal and Unreal Tournament for some reason (half the fps, sometimes worse). It's so severe a dropoff that I need to go back and reinstall one of the older drivers to verify that they still perform as before, and that something else didn't go wrong.

Less utterly surprising, but interesting, is that I think the K6-3 and K6-3+ don't actually perform exactly the same. They're so close that it's not worth worrying about, but after switching CPUs recently, in a minority of tests I saw some miniscule but consistent differences between them. I'm talking less than 0.5%. In most tests they do measure identically, but not all.
All attached hardware is the same and it's the same motherboard with same BIOS, so they should be running exactly the same clock frequency down to the decimal points.
"Speedsys" implies the difference might be the L2 cache. It appears that the original K6-3 has a slightly faster L2. Maybe AMD tweaked the timings a bit on the "+" chips (or it's just a side effect of the redesign). Maybe it helped them to scale the clock higher, and the effect is tiny.
So tiny that I'm not going to treat them as separate CPUs, but technically I think a difference exists.
I suppose the same thing would be found with alternate core steppings of Pentium 3s and such, so perhaps it's not that remarkable.

Reply 4 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My most surprising result when benchmarking is how much the video card matters even in old 386 and 486 PCs and dos games and how much you can cripple the system if you put a basic slow isa vga card to the system. You can turn a 486 into a 386 in games by doing so.

Reply 5 of 9, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My most surprising result was to get a Socket 7 board, using an AMD K6-III+ CPU, slowed down using hardware de-Turbo to speeds around 1/4 of an IBM XT 8088 CPU:

Re: The IBM XT challenge: How slow can you go with i386+ (IA-32) CPUs?

This resulted in a Topbench score of 1. The benchmark score doesn't go slower than 1, which means it's the slowest computer in its database.

Reply 6 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My own surprised benchmarks come from trying newer games in 320x240 on the PCX2 and seeing them shockingly handle them playably well compared to the better hardware of the period I played them on. UT at 60fps+ etc

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 9, by timb.us

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote:

My most surprising result when benchmarking is how much the video card matters even in old 386 and 486 PCs and dos games and how much you can cripple the system if you put a basic slow isa vga card to the system. You can turn a 486 into a 386 in games by doing so.

Actully, I’ve recently been messing around with HyperWare Speed Kit, which is best know for the fantastic disk cache it provides. It also comes with a device driver to speed up video access and it’s pretty fantastic too! Basically, it speeds up drawing operations in applications that call the video BIOS( so it won’t help games that directly access VGA registers) by trapping and replacing said video BIOS with its own much more efficient code.

In benchmarks on my system, HyperScreen sped up video BIOS drawing by 10x, which is pretty impressive! It makes TUI apps feel a lot snappier.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. (E.g., Cheez Whiz, RF, Hot Dogs)

Reply 8 of 9, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most surprising benchmark...

PGA 478 SM961A mini.png
Filename
PGA 478 SM961A mini.png
File size
367.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I would say 900MB/s read and 720MB/s writes for any hard/solidstate drive on PGA 478 won as my most suprising one 😎
Here's GPU benchmark for this setup :

Fire Strike Ultra OC2b mini.png
Filename
Fire Strike Ultra OC2b mini.png
File size
702.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I switched NVMe drive with GPU (since board only has one x16 slot).

However, Native Hex Booting from DOS on CF, up to Windows Server 2016 on NVMe drive within single system wasn't far behind (it lost, due to not exactly something that can be called "benchmarking" and being more ridiculous or "Mad" to Me) : LINK 😉

157143230295.png

Reply 9 of 9, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I downloaded TrackMania Nations, the free to play (before f2p became a warning sign!) from 2006 and it runs flawlessly on my Nvidida MX440 at 1080p! In TMN's bechmark it scores 39fps but is slightly higher in game. Didn't think I'd be doing 1080p gaming on a MX card 😜

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC