VOGONS

First post, by seanneko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Voodoo 5 5500 Mac PCI flashed with PC BIOS.

The card was working fine, could play games with no issues, etc. Recently I went to open a game, and upon launching, the graphics had fairly bad artifacting and the entire computer locked up shortly after.

After rebooting, this is what the video output looks like. Once Windows boots, everything locks up and it needs to be hard reset.

php_Zfvu_B2_PM.jpg

The fans work fine so I don't think it overheated.

Has anyone seen this sort of issue before? Is it fixable or is the card just dead now?

Reply 3 of 12, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check for leaking or bulging capacitors on the board. I have a similar problem with my Geforce FX5500 and I'm 99% certain it's the bulging caps on the board. Doesn't take long to replace them. The machine I'm on right now needed all of the VRM caps replaced. I think I spent maybe 30-40 minutes doing them all.

Reply 5 of 12, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks the same as on my x800pro, but the x800 only did this in windows. It was damage caused when it was in a bin with other cards and some components were torn off the card by another cards heatsink. Maybe you could post some pics of the card? Do you see anything burned or did you smell anything when this happened? I had an old vga wonder card that was working fine and when I was playing a game I could smell something burning. So I shut the system down and I could see a part was burned.

Reply 6 of 12, by seanneko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any way that I could identify the specific RAM chip that's failed, so that one day I could potentially have it replaced? Or maybe it's better to just replace them all, because if one died, maybe the others aren't far behind...

What about flashing it with a BIOS to disable one of the GPUs, and only use the GPU that has good RAM. Does such a BIOS exist?

Reply 7 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there any way that I could identify the specific RAM chip that's failed

Sometimes they emit increased heat.

What about flashing it with a BIOS to disable one of the GPUs

Only primary GPU and memory are responsible for 2D image.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

Bake the entire graphics card in the oven at 390 degrees F for 9 minutes. That'll fix it.

Including the fans? 😵

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 10 of 12, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

Bake the entire graphics card in the oven at 390 degrees F for 9 minutes. That'll fix it.

Including the fans? 😵

On newer cards with big plastic heatsink assemblies, those should come off. On old vintage cards, most of the materials can take the heat. If the fans are made of PE or PP they should come off.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer