VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In another thread I have been trying to figure out how to change the character set for a Tseng ET4000AX which is displaying a different set other then your standard english (U.S) symbols, letters, and numbers. Does anyone know of a way to modify the dumped bios to make these changes?

Reply 1 of 7, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the characters were encoded into the tsengs bios, you could view it in a program like DirectEd. If it selects a character set from the system bios, that would be a more complicated thing; to find where it selects the system bios character set and change it to standard us. Is this a translation problem or is it that the character set isn't displaying properly on a monitor type of thing?

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 2 of 7, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nekurahoka wrote:

If the characters were encoded into the tsengs bios, you could view it in a program like DirectEd. If it selects a character set from the system bios, that would be a more complicated thing; to find where it selects the system bios character set and change it to standard us. Is this a translation problem or is it that the character set isn't displaying properly on a monitor type of thing?

Where would I find DirectED?

The issue is that there are several keys that output different characters than they typically would. For example, where it would typically show "C:\" this card displays it as "C:Ð"

Reply 3 of 7, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/93/
That'll get you a copy of DirectEd. There are other utilities available for this, but I've used this in the past and found it to be easy. Load the bios and scroll through. The program basically graphically displays hex information. You should see the graphical information for the font tiles at some point and you'll be able to see if there are anomalies in the font map. Like having a second "D" in the map in an area where symbols like the slash should be.

Based on what you're describing, it seems more like corruption of some kind. I could totally be wrong though.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 4 of 7, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That’s a cool program but it seems to make the bios unbootable whenever I make any changes. Changing just one pixel then pressing s to save then reburning just causes a blank screen on the computer.

Reply 6 of 7, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fsmith2003 wrote:

That’s a cool program but it seems to make the bios unbootable whenever I make any changes. Changing just one pixel then pressing s to save then reburning just causes a blank screen on the computer.

You likely need to recalculate/fix the checksum on the modified image before burning. Some editors do this automatically for you, but others don't.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 7 of 7, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
133MHz wrote:
fsmith2003 wrote:

You likely need to recalculate/fix the checksum on the modified image before burning. Some editors do this automatically for you, but others don't.

Do you know how I do that on the TL866 software?

Edit: I did actually figure out how to do that with a little googling. Thanks for the advice. It worked! So now I have a couple different options for a workaround.