VOGONS

First post, by GoXoD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not really sure where to put this question or if I should post on another forum as 90% of the posts here are pc related.

I recently picked up a power Macintosh 7300 missing its cpu, bought a 200mhz one, replaced the battery and found a ati radeon 7000 mac 32m pci put it all together this morning and no video.

I get the apple chime, and if i hold the command+option+P+R keys it will reset the pram as you can hear it reboot.
at this point i realized i did not have vram in the computer, So that makes sense that it will not display video from the motherboard, but I thought the radeon card would display video...

Any one can confirm my suspicion that you need vram no matter what?

thanks for any input.

Reply 4 of 4, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

The onboard video is still decent. the radeon 7000 is quite a bit overkill.

If it's anything like the Power Mac 6500's integrated graphics, it's probably good for nothing but 2D and would warrant a Voodoo2 or flashed Voodoo3 PCI to complement it.

Normally, I wouldn't say that the Radeon 7000 is overkill, but if it's not getting anything beyond a 200 MHz 604e, then that won't cut it for games like Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex where you really do want a Radeon-era GPU... and a CPU that's at least in the 1 GHz range, x86 and PowerPC alike.

UT chokes on my Power Mac 9600 with a 400 MHz G3, as if the Rage 128 and Voodoo2 (I tested on both) are also inadequate, but I didn't slip in the Radeon 9250 PCI from my MDD G4 yet.

That said, the Power Mac 7300 seems like a decent machine for early software-rendered games. Absolute Zero, A-10 Attack!/Cuba!, stuff like that. MechWarrior 2 may be cutting it close without the Radeon (it uses QuickDraw 3D RAVE and thus benefits noticeably from better GPUs).