VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know GLQuake is for 3DFx VooDoo cards, but can I use my Diamond Viper V500 (16MB) like a VooDoo card for smoother textures and higher resolutions?

I used the driver, posted on VOGONS for my Win98SE, but I guess I need additional 3D Accelerator drivers for Quake1 (and other 3D Games such as Unreal, Descent, Tomb Raider 1, Quake II) to work.

I appreciate your help!

Best!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 10, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1)install quake
2)instal glquake patch, dont select 3dfx minigl patch
3)if you already selected minigl, then just delete opengl32.dll file from quake directory
4)create bat file inside quake directory and enter into it this glquake.exe -width 1024 -height 768 -bpp 16 -heapsize 36000 +viewsize 120
5)run bat file from windows
If you want change resolution, just change parameters width and height. -bpp is bit depth (16bit/32bit)

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 2 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vlask wrote:
1)install quake 2)instal glquake patch, dont select 3dfx minigl patch 3)if you already selected minigl, then just delete opengl3 […]
Show full quote

1)install quake
3)if you already selected minigl, then just delete opengl32.dll file from quake directory
4)create bat file inside quake directory and enter into it this glquake.exe -width 1024 -height 768 -bpp 16 -heapsize 36000 +viewsize 120
If you want change resolution, just change parameters width and height. -bpp is bit depth (16bit/32bit)

Where is the download for glquake patch? Is it hosted here?

Thx

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 3 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you already have GLQuake then there's nothing you need to do (except delete opengl32.dll in the quake folder as that's likely a 3dfx minigl you can't use).

But if you don't, ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/idgames/idstuff/unsup/ is there for all the official glquake releases (all starting with GLQ).

The immediate difference you'll see in that card vs. a Voodoo is the lack of gamma correction so it'll be all dark 😜 3dfx forced a high default gamma of 1.7 as a "standard" and that's due to coming from an arcade hardware lineage.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow! Thanks! I just re-installed Windows Quake, and when it asked for 3Dfx, I declined, so it not created the .dll file!

And its running!

Now, is Riva TNT considered a better card than Voodoo cards? I have a 16MB version, is it good enough to play Unreal, Quake II, and III?

Also, is there a command line to change the gamma value? Its TOO dark!

Last edited by C0deHunter on 2018-10-15, 01:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They're technically better (32-bit color, higher texture sizes, more mature OpenGL ICD and more vram), but the "looks better on voodoo" is just subjective if one prefers the gamma'd up 16bppfiltervision over the as-intended 3D.

Later GLQuakes, particularly the elusive 0.98 build, do have a -gamma parameter but IT IS NOT REAL GAMMA CORRECTION and it will wash out textures. Instead, bump up your video card's gamma prior to starting GLQuake for the most optimal image quality.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

bump up your video card's gamma prior to starting GLQuake for the most optimal image quality.

Will do!
Thanks!

Reply 7 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

If you already have GLQuake then there's nothing you need to do (except delete opengl32.dll in the quake folder as that's likely a 3dfx minigl you can't use).

But if you don't, ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/idgames/idstuff/unsup/ is there for all the official glquake releases (all starting with GLQ).

The immediate difference you'll see in that card vs. a Voodoo is the lack of gamma correction so it'll be all dark 😜 3dfx forced a high default gamma of 1.7 as a "standard" and that's due to coming from an arcade hardware lineage.

OK, I had to a fresh re-install of Win98SE using original CD-ROM, and now the GL version does not work! I get a blank, dark screen and I have to reset the computer to exit! How do I apply these GLQuake files, do I download the latest version and copy of the if folder?
Thanks!

Reply 8 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vlask wrote:
1)install quake 2)instal glquake patch, dont select 3dfx minigl patch 3)if you already selected minigl, then just delete opengl3 […]
Show full quote

1)install quake

Thanks, I did that, it seem to work (with 640x480 resolution at least, I have to bump up the res and see if it works) but it seems kind of choppy. What is the +viewsize option?

Reply 9 of 10, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:

Now, is Riva TNT considered a better card than Voodoo cards? I have a 16MB version, is it good enough to play Unreal, Quake II, and III?

Riva TNT is the direct competitor to the Voodoo2. Each card has pros and cons, I'll write pros for each card

Riva TNT
-newer, has some features that Voodoo2 is missing (some of the listed bellow)
-can play some games that Voodoo2 can't (but it's too slow in those games)
-32 bit support (usable only in earlier 3d games, where textures were anyway 8 bit or max 16 bit)
-1024x1024 texture support (V2 can do max 256x256)
-high resolution support (1920x1200, V2 can do max 1024x768, but almost any game is not playable at anything above 1024x768)
-faster in some D3D games

Voodoo2:
-faster in most games
-*much* faster in some glide games (Unreal is the best example)
-works with some old games patched only for glide (NFS2 SE, Carmageddon 1, etc)
-better image quality in 16 bit (V2 is 24 bit dithered)

TNT is technically superior, but it doesn't have the horsepower to run games with the features enabled. It will play QuakeII fine, QuakeIII will also run, not great, but ok. Unreal, not so much. If all you want is those three games go for Voodoo3 3000 if you can. If you want a build that can play a lot of games (newer and older) try to go for something like Geforce3 or Geforce4 Ti paired with 2 V2s in SLI. It should play almost any game from 1996 to 2003.

Reply 10 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Non-Glide Gamma in GLQuake is a deal breaker for me, I have the same issue with my GeForce cards.. 🙁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.