VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently got this Diamond Monster3D Vooodoo 1 card that had one missing and a couple leaking SMD electrolytic capacitors. I've since had all these replaced (though I did not fully recap the board, I left the ones that seemed fine as is).

Diamond-Monster3-D-Voodoo-1-B.jpg

I recently had the chance to test it out. I slipped it into a P133 DOS PC, and tried to launch Tomb Raider and Screamer 2; they both locked up at the 3dfx splash screen with alternating vertical Color/Black/Color/Black stripes (sometimes purple, sometimes blue). I did not think to take a photo, but it looked something like this:

Voodoo 1 Artifact.jpg
Filename
Voodoo 1 Artifact.jpg
File size
49.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The system works fine with my other Monster3D, so it's 100% certainly an issue with the card.

Is this most likely a memory or chipset error? I've had a thorough look at the board and can see no cracked or missing SMD components, the memory modules seem to be fine. I did find two legs on the TMU making contact and carefully seperated them prior to testing it, but this is what it does. I've had cards die on me that could be revived by BIOS flashes, is this possible with Voodoo 1 cards? Are there any diagnostic utilities to test Voodoo 1 cards and see where the error is? Preferrably in MS-DOS?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Try to underclock it.

Can this be done in DOS?

Reply 3 of 8, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, you can set the variable SST_GRXCLK to 50 in order to set it to it's default 50MHz. You could try setting it to 40MHz or something like that. The correct syntax is:

SET SST_GRXCLK=50

My guess is that at least one memory module or a trace between the 3Dfx-processors and the memory chips is defective.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 4 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thandor wrote:

Yes, you can set the variable SST_GRXCLK to 50 in order to set it to it's default 50MHz. You could try setting it to 40MHz or something like that. The correct syntax is:

SET SST_GRXCLK=50

My guess is that at least one memory module or a trace between the 3Dfx-processors and the memory chips is defective.

Any way to check which? Is there a RAM Check tool or something of the kind for 3dfx cards? I could easily replace the faulty RAM chip.

Reply 6 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have problem with FBI memory. Problems with TMU memory will corrupt textures and geometry directly, without affecting frame buffer.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

You have problem with FBI memory. Problems with TMU memory will corrupt textures and geometry directly, without affecting frame buffer.

Where on the card is that located? To the right of the FBI chip? (lower four chips?)

There was some minor corrosion on the memory chip legs so I rubbed them with white vinegar and a q-tip, then alcohol.. Then did a bit of solder reflow.. Maybe that will help, I'll try the card out again this weekend.

Reply 8 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To the right of the FBI chip? (lower four chips?)

Yes.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.