Reply 20 of 24, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Okay, then how would you do that?

Nibitor and nvflash.

Oh, yeah, okay, that's going to be a no for me. I mean, I could always just flash the original BIOS back, but... eh.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 21 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Undervolting also removes some stress from the VRM though.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 22 of 24, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Undervolting also removes some stress from the VRM though.

True, true. My real concern, though, is what effect will that have on performance. If there is a performance drop, how much are we looking at? Or, are there actually performance gains to be had, perhaps?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 23 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If there is a performance drop, how much are we looking at? Or, are there actually performance gains to be had, perhaps?

None.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 24 of 24, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, quick update that was like 15 days due. I

cyclone3d wrote:
the_ultra_code wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II […]
Show full quote

Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II

https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/accelero-twin-turbo-ii.html

Even an Accelero S1 rev 2 is enough to keep an 8800 Ultra cool with just a fan pointed in the direction of the cooler. ( I retrofitted one to one of my 8800 Ultra cards along with a Zalman RAM/VRM cooler).

This one with the dual fans is going to keep a 6800 icy cold and yoou wont have to modify the mounting hardware since it already supports the 6800 series.

Awesome. It does officially state it supports the 6800 series, unlike the one I linked above, and when compared to that one above it is obviously a lot bigger. Yeah, I think this would do the job. 🤣

I'm curious, though: Have you noticed any concerning GPU sag with your 8800 Ultra? I know modern card can handle a massive cooler without breaking a sweat, but I am a little concerned with a single slot card from the mid-2000s like my 6800GT. Hence why I was thinking about that cheaper model, the Accelero L2 Plus.

The S1 rev 2 is very light (268g) , so no worries about sagging at all. The one I linked is heavier (479g) due to it having fans and more fins. You can always use a string or something else to support the back corner if you are worried about sagging though.

Not sure I would trust the L2 to cool well enough. It is just a heatsink with a fan. Probably keep it within specs.. but I like to keep everything nice a really cool.

So, cyclone3d, I got that Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II you shared, and I installed it on the card. It's a big cooler, that's for damn sure. 🤣

FDc1tW1l.jpg

What is bigger is the insane cooling performance it provides. At idle on the XP desktop, it'll sit around 40C, and after a good gaming session playing Hot Wheels: Stunt Track Challenge, the most graphically demanding game I have under XP, the card never went above 45C! I'd say compared to the near 70C I was experiencing before, that's a major improvement. 🤣

Only sad thing about this cooler is that it doesn't come with a 2-pin GPU fan header, so I have to run the fans at max over Molex, but thankfully the fans are relatively quiet, so no gripes there. 😀

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png