VOGONS

First post, by Synaps3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I am building a socket 7 system and I got to the part where I am looking at graphics cards. I already have three old cards in a drawer:
ATI Rage 128 Pro
ATI Rage 128 Ultra
Nvidia TNT2 64

I'd guess that these would do pretty good with most dos games, but I am not sure about the more modern ones.

Now here is the main part of my question: I can get a Radeon 9800 Pro or a GeForce FX5600 AGP (that should be compatible with my AGP 2x slot from what I can tell) on eBay for cheap. Is there any reason to not just go with the newest card in this case? Will I loose some DOS compatibility by doing this? I see the voodoo cards are regarded very highly, but is it really just a nostalgia thing for people or does using these newer cards really not work any better in DOS?

Systems:
BOARD | RAM | CPU | GPU
ASUS CUV4X-D | 2GB | 2 x PIII Tualatin ~1.5 GHz | Radeon HD 4650
DELL DIMENSION XPS 466V | 64MB | AMD 5x86 133MHz | Number Nine Ticket to Ride
Sergey Kiselev's Micro8088 10MHz | 640KB | Trident VGA

Reply 1 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Generally nvidia cards have better dos compatibility than ATI cards. If you get FX5600, you most likely won't lose any compatibility, but you will probably lose some upper memory area to load dos drivers into because newer cards generally have bigger video bios rom. If you just use pure dos though you should probably stay with TNT2 M64, but if you use windows on same PC you can get advantage from having bit newer card.

Reply 2 of 6, by Synaps3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote:

Generally nvidia cards have better dos compatibility than ATI cards. If you get FX5600, you most likely won't lose any compatibility, but you will probably lose some upper memory area to load dos drivers into because newer cards generally have bigger video bios rom. If you just use pure dos though you should probably stay with TNT2 M64, but if you use windows on same PC you can get advantage from having bit newer card.

Thanks for the response. I think I'll go with the FX5600. This 'should' work on a socket 7 mobo with Award BIOS, right?

Systems:
BOARD | RAM | CPU | GPU
ASUS CUV4X-D | 2GB | 2 x PIII Tualatin ~1.5 GHz | Radeon HD 4650
DELL DIMENSION XPS 466V | 64MB | AMD 5x86 133MHz | Number Nine Ticket to Ride
Sergey Kiselev's Micro8088 10MHz | 640KB | Trident VGA

Reply 3 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Above sums it up perfectly.
Voodoo come into their own for 3d games that support 3dfx glide (Quake & Tomb Raider to name 2 of the big ones)
But if your not playing games that require Glide they don't offer any benefit then the TNT2 (In a pure dos PC)

Reply 4 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Synaps3 wrote:

Thanks for the response. I think I'll go with the FX5600. This 'should' work on a socket 7 mobo with Award BIOS, right?

Socket 7 and AGP is troublesome. Socket 7 has the earliest and most limited AGP implementation. You are lucky if the Nvidia TNT2 64 works without problems. I expect the FX5600 to cause trouble either with power draw or windows instability.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:
Synaps3 wrote:

Socket 7 and AGP is troublesome. Socket 7 has the earliest and most limited AGP implementation. You are lucky if the Nvidia TNT2 64 works without problems. I expect the FX5600 to cause trouble either with power draw or windows instability.

You are right, I wasn't thinking of super socket 7 motherboard and agp. I didn't notice any problems in my soyo motherboard though, so I think if you have problems depends on the motherboard and luck a bit.

Reply 6 of 6, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think there'd be any point in going with anything faster than the TNT2 M64 for a Socket 7 system. In fact, that'd be a great match... great compatibility for DOS games and plenty of speed for early 3D accelerated games. If you were going to torture your Socket 7 system (and yourself) with games made after 1998, then a faster card would help you increase resolutions in 3d accelerated titles, but any CPU you could put in there will hold back performance considerably. To put it in perspective, the FX5600 was from the time of Athlon XPs CPUs which ran in the 1.5Ghz+ range. A 200Mhz Pentium or 500Mhz K6-2 might eek out a quarter of that performance in games, at best.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.