VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have read some stuff that video cards like Geforce 4 ti 4600 that have high power usage but do not have external power connector can even fry motherboards agp slot in some situations.
Would it help with that problem if you would use such card with motherboard that has agp pro slot or does the extra power that can be drawn from agp pro slot only matter if the video card you use is actual agp pro card and not just normal agp card with a high power usage?

Reply 1 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It really comes down to the quality of the motherboard manufacturer.

If the board is a name-brand, it's highly likely to be fine. Any board that conforms to agp-pro should definitely qualify as being good enough.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I understand the quality aspect but still I would like to know the main thing if the fact that you can draw more power from agp pro slot would also apply to normal agp cards that the circuit they use also might be able to handle more power or if they are totally different circuits and the strict 25W limit of AGP still applies.

These motherboards are old and the components might not be in as good shape as they were when motherboard was new and I don't want to break anything.

Reply 3 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce 4 Ti does not have additional gold fingers for increased power draw. But if the board is in bad shape, it won't help you anyway.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

GeForce 4 Ti does not have additional gold fingers for increased power draw. But if the board is in bad shape, it won't help you anyway.

Unfortunately, you kind of missed the point of the question. I think I made the question bit confusing myself.
My question was about the motherboard power delivery. If the fact that agp pro probably needs bit more beefy components on the motherboard to deliver the extra power would also help with the power delivery for standard agp cards put in the slot or if the power delivery circuit on the motherboard for agp pro cards and normal agp cards are just completely separate?

Reply 5 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

and you missed my answer.

The motherboard will supply whatever the card will want. It doesn't get to decide. A well made motherboard will fully support the full AGP power spec with a bit to spare. Cheap boards will fold under the stress. A board with agp-pro will be designed with high power cards in mind, so are much more likely to deliver full power properly.

also, agp-pro is only a set of extra pins for extra power. Where does the motherboard get this power? Well every agp-pro board i've seen uses a 4-pin power connector right next to the agp slot.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

and you missed my answer.

The motherboard will supply whatever the card will want. It doesn't get to decide. A well made motherboard will fully support the full AGP power spec with a bit to spare. Cheap boards will fold under the stress. A board with agp-pro will be designed with high power cards in mind, so are much more likely to deliver full power properly.

also, agp-pro is only a set of extra pins for extra power. Where does the motherboard get this power? Well every agp-pro board i've seen uses a 4-pin power connector right next to the agp slot.

No 4 pin connector next to the agp alot but the 20 pin atx power connector is located next to the agp slot as you can see: http://hw-museum.cz/mb/46/asus-cuv4x

Reply 8 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. I hope it will work. I also hope the card I am going to be getting isn't going to be the factory overclocked one because that would mean even more power draw.