VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So ona whim I snagged an x1 to replace my dead 5900 ultra, but what does it take to turn the x1 back into a 9700 pro

Reply 1 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most likely you will be the explorer here, because practically nobody cared about that before.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 15, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is the point of "turning X1 into 9700Pro"? It works well enough with FireGL drivers.... in windows XP at least. Not sure about win98.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 4 of 15, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can't force install radeon drivers with a firegl card like you can force install geforce drivers with quadro cards at least with some models I have tried?

Reply 5 of 15, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

Because I'm assuming the fire drivers like the Quadro ones aren't optimised

Well, as far as I know both Quadro and FireGL work exactly the same like GeForce / Radeon of similar GPU / VRAM configuration. Maybe not in some less popular games but AAA games definitely work perfectly fine. To name a few:

Quadro FX 1100 (NV36) - no SW problems, performance more or less in line with ~ GF FX 5700
Quadro FX 4500 (G70) - just like GF 7800 GT / GTX
Quadro FX 4600 (G80) - on par with GF 8800 GTS 640

FireGL X1 (R300) - just like R9700 Pro
FireGL V7200 (R520) - similar to X1800 XT
FireGL V8650 (R600) - like HD 2900 XT but bigger memory

The one think I remember was missing HQ AF option in Quadro FX control panel. Not sure if it is always HQ or not... but no big deal anyway.
Also once I tried to force regular catalyst driver on FireGL X1. D3D worked no problem and also identical performance compared to FireGL drivers. OpenGL on the other hand didn't work at all with Catalyst.

I think the missing optimalisation is just one of popular Internet myths. The most recent example was AMD Vega FE launch. Month and half of endless discussion (mostly by AMD fanboys 🤣 ) how RX Vega will have completely different and better game-optimized driver... and then boom RX Vega was exactly the same as FE in games.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 6 of 15, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wasn't stable as it would crash in 3dmark03, Halo, and battlefield Vietnam. I opened rabit and changed the device I'd on the bios to the 9700pro however and reinstalled drivers and it now works flawlessly.

Tried with 3 sets of FireGL driver's forcing it to use 9700pro cat 5.9, 6.2 and 10.2 and Omega 2007 drivers

This is a good option for a cheap 9700 pro if you can find one, mine was 19.99 us on fleabay

Reply 7 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Months ago I was looking at various old FireGL cards and thinking about the drivers. I found this Anandtech look at it.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1575/12

Possibly a different OpenGL ICD in play for the pro apps.

Reply 9 of 15, by repaxan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

Maybe but it works now with the bios device I'd modified

I've done this (edited the PCI device ID in Rabit) to my FireGL X2-256T that's now a 9800 XT. The Radeon drivers install fine and everything does work, but in Catalyst, where there should be a Radeon logo is a FireGL logo, and I suspect that several options are missing/grayed out.

Wondering if you're seeing anything like this?

Reply 10 of 15, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

Wasn't stable as it would crash in 3dmark03, Halo, and battlefield Vietnam. I opened rabit and changed the device I'd on the bios to the 9700pro however and reinstalled drivers and it now works flawlessly.

Tried with 3 sets of FireGL driver's forcing it to use 9700pro cat 5.9, 6.2 and 10.2 and Omega 2007 drivers

This is a good option for a cheap 9700 pro if you can find one, mine was 19.99 us on fleabay

I picked up one of these cards for cheap, thinking it was a 9700pro. What device ID did you use? did you use atiflash to flash the edited BIOS?

Reply 11 of 15, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
repaxan wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

Maybe but it works now with the bios device I'd modified

I've done this (edited the PCI device ID in Rabit) to my FireGL X2-256T that's now a 9800 XT. The Radeon drivers install fine and everything does work, but in Catalyst, where there should be a Radeon logo is a FireGL logo, and I suspect that several options are missing/grayed out.

Wondering if you're seeing anything like this?

Not sure I'll take a look

Reply 12 of 15, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so I used rabit to edit the bios and atiflash to flash it (used a device id from the techpowerup database). I was able to install the cat 5.8 drivers but it didn't install an opengl driver. In cat control center under information center -> graphics software -> opengl version it says not available. The 3D preview shows ati firegl. I noticed the cat ai was also greyed out.

I might just try flashing the 9700pro bios to the card and see if that works.

Reply 14 of 15, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

D3D games did seem to run fine with the drivers for the Radeon installed. I might give the omega drivers a go, I used them back in the day on my Radeon 9700pro. Btw, I did find a hardware mod online to change the FireGL into a Radeon or a Radeon into a FireGL. You just need to move a resistor and flash the bios. http://www.tweak.dk/article/ATI_Radeon_9700_P … L_X1_mod/17/1/1