VOGONS

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey everyone. I bought something called a Matrox MED2mp-DVI that looks like an AGP Parhelia 8X 256MB. I got it up and running Parhelia drivers by force installing them in device manager. Otherwise I'd need some special driver package from another company. The clock speeds are interesting - 2 different programs say core is only 162 MHz but the RAM is at 325 MHz. I think that core clock reading is incorrect though, because 3DMark2001 shows fillrate well above the original 220MHz Parhelia. I suspect it's actually 250MHz.

HZUHYrZW_t.jpeg s9Lw8kuF_t.jpeg
lywVls6r_t.png7QntiBLS_t.png

I'd like to get my hands on the pins info from a Parhelia 8X 256 and see if I can convert it to that card. The pin info is what Matrox used to define various parameters of all their cards. I've attached mine below. If anyone has said Parhelia card, can you run the following command and dump your pins info?

pbioswin /d c:\pinsfile.txt

pbioswin is a flash utility that Matrox includes with their BIOS updates.
Find here - https://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/dr … /previous/bios/

Attachments

• Filename
    pinsfile.txt
    File size
    2.24 KiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ran everest and 3Dmark on my Parhelia 8x 256MB and I added the pins file as an attachment. Seems like performance is close to my card.

par8x256.PNG
Filename
par8x256.PNG
File size
186.28 KiB
Views
File license
3dm.PNG
Filename
3dm.PNG
File size
19.05 KiB
Views
File license

Attachments

• Filename
    pinsfile.txt
    File size
    2.24 KiB
    Downloads
    63 downloads
    File license

Reply 2 of 3, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the pin info. Yeah it looks like the cards are operating at the same speeds. I tried flashing your pins file but that didn't seem to work. It looks like pbioswin works in slightly mysterious ways and won't allow changes to some parameters.

Reply 3 of 3, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm disappointed that Parhelia doesn't even have full DirectX 8.1 support. No pixel shader 1.4.

The 16X fragment AA is something to behold though. It looks great and has less speed hit than even MSAA. I think the quality is similar to ATI's gamma corrected 4X or 6X MSAA on the DirectX 9 and later cards.

Unfortunately performance seems to be noticeably below Radeon 8500 in some cases even if 3DMark2001 says otherwise.