VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Installed Windows 98SE on a Compaq Deskpro EN-SFF last night; decided to drop in a Matrox G450 PCI because I like those cards. I hooked the monitor up via DVI and everything was crisp and clear after the driver install.

However, there is one strange issue. When I start a COMMAND prompt, and go fullscreen, I get no video signal on the monitor.

What could be the issue here?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 4, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it’s likely that the G450 is trying to use a refresh rate your monitor doesn’t support at whatever resolution a full screen command prompt is. (720x400?). You will probably need to use regedit or a 3rd party utilitly like powerstrip to customize the refresh rate at that resolution.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 2 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BinaryDemon wrote:

I think it’s likely that the G450 is trying to use a refresh rate your monitor doesn’t support at whatever resolution a full screen command prompt is. (720x400?). You will probably need to use regedit or a 3rd party utilitly like powerstrip to customize the refresh rate at that resolution.

Ahh.. I will look into Powerstrip.

Reply 3 of 4, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you boot straight into DOS, can you see then?

YouTube

Reply 4 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rawit wrote:

If you boot straight into DOS, can you see then?

I can see text mode just fine during POST, BIOS and bootup, only fater Windows and Matrox drivers are loaded that it messes up. I can (IIRC) actually use DOS full screen fine with regular VGA drivers.

Fun fact: When I tried to load the Matrox drivers through Device Manager, Update Driver -> Browse resulted in no valid drivers, so I manually pointed to G450.inf and selected Matrox Millennium G450 Dualhead DVI (PCI). Everything seems to work, but fullscreen DOS..