VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So the more I think about it, the more tempted I am to not use my newly bought Geforce 256 SDR and instead use an unused Radeon 7500 instead, then place the 256 on display.

The system is

Compaq Presario
Athlon 700
512mb PC100
80GB HDD
Soundblaster Live
Windows 98SE

I know the 256 is era correct which is why i bought it, but now i've been reading and realize they are rare cards.

Reply 1 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

512mb PC100
80GB HDD

Not period correct =P

Just stick GeForce 2 MX in there (almost identical performance).

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 6, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

but now i've been reading and realize they are rare cards.

Why is that a reason not to use it?

I assume exactly that: the fact that the card is rare, so it's valuable. Using it means that there's a risk for the card to fail, losing value.

Reply 4 of 6, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use it. IF it dies, then you can take it out & put it on display. A dead one sitting on a display shelf is exactly the same as a live one sitting on a display shelf. Unless you're planning to flip it and put something less 'valuable' (*) in, there is literally no point in keeping it 'live' if you're not going to use it.

(* although judging from personal experience, the prices people SAY things are worth on forums is way more than the prices people will actually pay for the stuff when it goes on the auction sites.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 6, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good point, as for the ram and HDD it came to me that way running XP home sp2

I mean good point of see it till it breaks then display.

I already know my daughter wants none of the computers, she has already asked to not get it left to her and she's only 10 🤣.