VOGONS

First post, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So far I've used NVidia Detonator 8.05 in all my Win98 installs. It seems to be very stable and performant at the same time.

For some reason, though, it scores really low in 3DMark99 MAX. While Detonator 6.31 gets 5700 3DMarks, 8.05 only achieves around 4400. 3DMark2000 on the other hand yields the same result for both drivers, but is very unstable on version 6.31 as the "High Polygon Count (4 lights)" test almost always results in the program crashing to the desktop. No system hang, just a software crash with usually garbled green static or nothing at all. I can get rid of the glitch by starting a DirectDraw program in full screen and exiting it.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'd rather stick to the older drivers over the newer ones and I'm planning on replacing the capacitors on this P2B I use with polymer ones. So far the only dangerous sign I've seen has been the hardware monitor reporting 3.6V-3.7V (also 12.5 and -12.3 on their respective rails, are these OK?) on the 3.3V rail and odd horizontal artifacts during Windows Setup and in Win2K and XP fully configured.

Note: The garbled graphics glitch also happens on 8.05 sometimes, when exiting certain full screen DOS games. Have had this happen on other motherboards as well.

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 1 of 2, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Assuming the hardware monitoring is somewhat accurate the 3.3v line is 12% out of spec. That is pretty far from the allowed 5%. Did you test your PSU with a multimeter and found similar readings?

Reply 2 of 2, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well apparently my dumb ass typed the reply in the "report" section... Can't be more embarrassed right now.

Anyway, I don't have a multimeter yet, though Ive been thinking of picking one up at the hardware store along with a soldering kit. I don't entirely trust the board itself either because it has caused my old PSU to make sparks on the P2B's power on pins upon contact. It also doesn't power on consistently (or at all anymore) despite the fact that it has worked in my other motherboards.

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04