VOGONS

First post, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm running a Voodoo2 SLI setup (both same brand, both 12mb) with FastVoodoo2 4.6 drivers following to-the-"t" Phil's driver video to install the drivers and the Tweaker tool. Right after booting into Windows 98 mymonitor will loose sync for a split second, two times in a row. This is a CRT monitor, so experience tells me this most likely won't happen on a LCD monitor (and I have no LCD's with VGA input to test). Here's a quick-yet-boring video showing it happen:

https://youtu.be/bs2UDimYnXw

I have two SSD's I've been switching between, and have installed Windows FOUR times (trying to get all my drivers and tweaks to work in a perfect setup, learning along the way, and so far failing with things like the above happening). Two installs were fine - NO blanking whatsoever. Two other installs had the blanking on boot-up, 2x times in a row. ALL FOUR installs will blank for a split second when I enter the Display Properties "3dfx V2-1000" tab – this is how I know it's most likely something to do with the drivers and how my CRT monitor and/or Voodoo2 cards are probably perfectly fine. The process I'm using to install the drivers is 100% identical so this literally makes no sense... I've watched every video on YouTube (most with LCD monitors but a few with CRT's) and I haven't seen another one do this. Can anybody shed any light on it? It's driving me nuts.

This may be related, but something else weird. I'm unable to set the Voodoo2's into 1024x768 mode in Display Properties like Phil has done in multiple videos. Not all games have an in-game menu where you can choose the Glide resolution, so I'm assuming when you're running a SLI setup you have to choose the higher 1024 resolution in the Display Properties... but the problem is my screen will NOT let me put it into 1024. Here's my info screen showing the card info and driver versions, followed by Phil's (p.s., they're IDENTICAL):

OfeXNuQ.png

YaiKcw5.jpg

BUT, for some reason my settings screen looks different:

ZiDVlRs.jpg

Where Phil's (again, on multiple different setups he's filmed videos of) lets him choose 1024x768:

FWMMDtR.png

When I manually set my slider to 1024, you'll see that "Apply" is grayed out so I can't make this setting stick:

aVgTJqk.jpg

In-game, when there's an internal game menu to set resolution I can play games in 1024 and my monitor confirms that, but just can't set it in the display properties. Why in the world would these be different with the same exact Voodoo2's, and the same exact drivers?

Reply 1 of 2, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think you set resolution for any games in the display properties. It is up to the game what resolution it uses. You can just set refresh rates for each resolution in that menu as far as I know. You can't apply if you don't change the refresh rate for any of the display modes because you are just choosing which video mode you are changing when you use the slider.

Edit: I just checked my display properties and I also get a short black screen when I go to that V2-1000 tab. I assume it tests the voodoo 2 cards in some way when you go to that tab but I don't get those when I just open the display properties.

Last edited by Baoran on 2020-02-15, 11:46. Edited 1 time in total.