VOGONS

First post, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking through my collection, I've noticed that later video cards (1999-that have the VESA feature connector disabled or not-working seem to be missing a 4-resistor array (33 ohm) from a set of 8 SMD pads close to the feature connector. What adds to this hypothesis is that the same pads are populated on other cards that do have the capability. I have not tested this yet, but I figure that it's not too far off, and that they may be pulling-resistors (whether pull-down or pull-up in this case, I am not familiar with).

Reply 1 of 1, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I have it figured out. It seems to be available only on ATI video cards, at the moment.

The feature connector uses a few pull-up resistors at 4.7 KOhms to allow color output (Z4), and drive the SYNC and BLANK pins to output (z5, which I'm guessing a secondary decoder card would use to lock onto the video signal), and I just found a similar 4-resistor array (marked 473) sitting next to the connector on the All-in-Wonder Turbo that I currently use in my system.

On early Rage 128's, the resistor array is missing, but the pads for them are there.

I will try looking through old broken boards in my possession to find an array that will fit on the solder pads.

hzPc2cs.png