VOGONS

First post, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As per my post in the "what did you buy" thread, I managed to spend $5 on a RIVA TNT 2 earlier, and while it doesn't appear to be internally damaged, it definitely has a problem. The signal being received by the monitor is dull, and improperly aligned on my CRT, and when I actually get past the BIOS and in to an OS, it has some terrible horizontal blur.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
789.57 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The card doesn't seem to have any physical damage on either side, and the VGA connector is free of debris, so I am at a loss as to why it is having problems. Have any of you encountered a problem like this before? Is there a solution beyond the trashbin?

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2020-08-22, 01:28:

As per my post in the "what did you buy" thread, I managed to spend $5 on a RIVA TNT 2 earlier, and while it doesn't appear to be internally damaged, it definitely has a problem. The signal being received by the monitor is dull, and improperly aligned on my CRT, and when I actually get past the BIOS and in to an OS, it has some terrible horizontal blur.
image0.jpg
The card doesn't seem to have any physical damage on either side, and the VGA connector is free of debris, so I am at a loss as to why it is having problems. Have any of you encountered a problem like this before? Is there a solution beyond the trashbin?

Older Nvidia based cards had a reputation for VGA output quality being very hit-or-miss (usually miss) depending on actual card manufacturer implementation . Apparently Nvidia design specs may have been partly to blame too .

See https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=342621

Reply 2 of 12, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-08-22, 03:36:

image0.jpg

Older Nvidia based cards had a reputation for VGA output quality being very hit-or-miss (usually miss) depending on actual card manufacturer implementation . Apparently Nvidia design specs may have been partly to blame too .

I haven't found anything online that would make it seem like this was a normal problem with Diamond Viper 770s, but thanks.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 3 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2020-08-22, 03:51:
darry wrote on 2020-08-22, 03:36:

image0.jpg

I haven't found anything online that would make it seem like this was a normal problem with Diamond Viper 770s, but thanks.

Sorry, I somehow missed the fact that it was a V770 and I never had one of those, but the V550 I did own at some point had great VGA, AFAICR .

Reply 4 of 12, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-08-22, 03:57:

Sorry, I somehow missed the fact that it was a V770 and I never had one of those, but the V550 I did own at some point had great VGA, AFAICR .

That's fine, thanks for trying to help, regardless.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 5 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This looks like a faulty main chip when you're unable to find any broken components etc. Only thing that would make me think of such an effect is when ground is poor, but that is pretty much impossible to achieve on a VGA connector...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 12, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bizarre - I posted the same thing recently here Smeared output on ELSA Synergy II PCI (RIVA TNT2).

It's very disconcerting that your card is exhibiting the same issues too. Maybe bad caps? Or worse, failing GPU?

Reply 7 of 12, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Geforce2 with a similar problem - light/dark banding, white color is grey, RGB colors are overly saturated. After checking the analog output path components against an identical working card, using a multimeter, I couldn't find anything that would indicate a broken discrete component. So the defect is probably inside the chip, and unfortunately not much I can do about it.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 11 of 12, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Didn't some NVIDIA cards have some circuitry that they were forced to add to comply with FCC EM interference rules? I believe I remember reading about certain desoldering hacks you could perform to remove some SMD components around the RAMDAC or the VGA port that would considerably improve video output quality.

Perhaps you can Google for that?

Reply 12 of 12, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digger wrote on 2020-08-27, 19:11:

Didn't some NVIDIA cards have some circuitry that they were forced to add to comply with FCC EM interference rules? I believe I remember reading about certain desoldering hacks you could perform to remove some SMD components around the RAMDAC or the VGA port that would considerably improve video output quality.

Perhaps you can Google for that?

Yeah they did - filtering caps. I removed them on my ELSA Synergy II which has the same issue but sadly it didn't help at all.