VOGONS

VGA custom resolution

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look at DOS Quake and the resolution that are available if no VESA 2 driver is installed. Those resolutions all play nice with standard VGA and have standard VGA timings, so no problem with LCDs and so on. Max is 360x480 and even original IBM PS/2 VGA can do that resolution.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 21 of 22, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Benedikt wrote on 2020-09-30, 10:02:

320x400 is indeed possible on every VGA, but the original question was about square pixels and pixels that are 2/3 wider than tall are quite far away from that.

You're right. Sorry, I missed that part. 😅
Just checked my DOS programs and "2SHOW" graphics viewer supports this 360x480 @256c mode also.

2show_001.png

Edit: Also added a sample picture viewed in different modes for resolutions comparison.
Hope that's okay. I know it's not everyones taste, but it's harmless, at least. Don't mean to offend anyone.
Found on tumbler long ago (?).. I wished I could provide some credits.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 22, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-01, 23:40:
You're right. Sorry, I missed that part. :sweatdrop: Just checked my DOS programs and "2SHOW" graphics viewer supports this 360x […]
Show full quote
Benedikt wrote on 2020-09-30, 10:02:

320x400 is indeed possible on every VGA, but the original question was about square pixels and pixels that are 2/3 wider than tall are quite far away from that.

You're right. Sorry, I missed that part. 😅
Just checked my DOS programs and "2SHOW" graphics viewer supports this 360x480 @256c mode also.
2show_001.png

Edit: Also added a sample picture viewed in different modes for resolutions comparison.
Hope that's okay. I know it's not everyones taste, but it's harmless, at least. Don't mean to offend anyone.
Found on tumbler long ago (?).. I wished I could provide some credits.

Thank you!