VOGONS

First post, by genocho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Time ago i found this monitor on a thrift store. Now i have a bit of free time iam looking for a way to connect it to i guess an hercules / mda graphics card.
In the back monitor have 3 conectors i presume for video, one is a female db-15, second is a round din 5 like pc xt keyboards or tandy, and the last one is a d-7 blue labeled every pin from a to g. Never saw this kind of connector. Hope someone can help me with the pinout or the way to find out a way to use this monitor.

gp7kLMC.jpg

ZAcfKdx.jpg

Sorry about the bad quality of the pics

Reply 1 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is this page anyt help ? http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/mda_cga_ega/mda_cga_ega.htm

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 6, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your monitor has that homemade side cutter look about it.

The odd blue connector was commonly found on antique Sony monitors used in racks, security and broadcasting . My guess it’s DC in as power from the atm.

https://images.app.goo.gl/y9YCiWafWdD1N3Jo9

Sadly because your screen looks to be an industrial unit you will find very little data, your only hope is to open it up and trace out what each pin does, if your lucky they are color coded

https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/ibm100/us/en/icons/bankauto/

From what I remember those monitors were usually recessed behind a piece of glass inside a machine, likely came from a bank terminal or ATM.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DR-ApXXtdp8

Sadly Because everyone on the planet thinks VGA is DB15 (instead of hd15) trying to find pin outs or video standards that used db15 is going to be quite difficult (obviously Mac doesn’t count)

83A1DCEB-021B-42AE-B455-41FBC882958C.png
Filename
83A1DCEB-021B-42AE-B455-41FBC882958C.png
File size
814.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Thinking about this further db15 on an IBM mono might be an ASCII connector not meant for a video connection.

Reply 4 of 6, by genocho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply rmay,

The monitor comes with a 220 power cord, so dont need dc to fire up, so i guess that blue conector is for other use.
About the din5 and the db-15 guess i have to open it up and make more pics, with a better camera.
Always was wondering why the bezel was missing and that theory about the bank terminal makes sense, because buttons are still in the knobs.......
I will keep searching,

Regards.

Reply 5 of 6, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
genocho wrote on 2021-01-24, 18:54:
Thanks for the reply rmay, […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the reply rmay,

The monitor comes with a 220 power cord, so dont need dc to fire up, so i guess that blue conector is for other use.
About the din5 and the db-15 guess i have to open it up and make more pics, with a better camera.
Always was wondering why the bezel was missing and that theory about the bank terminal makes sense, because buttons are still in the knobs.......
I will keep searching,

Regards.

Someone may have hacked a cable into the thing, most of those screens lacked a PSU

You will likely need to trace it out, doubt you will find info.

The only place you could ask would be the sentient internet intelligence named
“Chuck” who manifests with posts on vcfed forums
He appears to have the entire IBM history known to mankind in memory.

If he doesn’t know your SOL

77CA2672-1C45-4911-A2A8-FC54E7FD6DDA.jpeg
Filename
77CA2672-1C45-4911-A2A8-FC54E7FD6DDA.jpeg
File size
34.2 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by rmay635703 on 2021-01-24, 20:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 6, by genocho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you,

I posted also in VCFED, hope he find out.

If not I will open it and try to find out. My guess is could be a mda/hercules but who knows, if someone put inside a power supply, maybe hacked something else.
Monitor was used in spain, and if i power it shows contrast and brightness so looks fine besides no video .