VOGONS

First post, by Scott8bit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, i wondered if anyone can offer some assistance converting an old vga output to HDMi. I have an old Dell with S3 trio and I wanted to use it on my newish monitor (LG 34um95-p) As I have no deskspace for another monitor. So I recently bought a cheap VGA to HDMi converter and it worked fine in windows, however when using DOS apps / games and bios the screen would just go black.

After some research it turns out these cheap converters can’t do everything so I did some research and read OSSC converters are the best option.

Anyway I have bought one but it’s still having issues showing bios or dos, where I am getting some strange artifacts / weird flickerings

(Picture attached)

Can anyone offer any advice or shed any light on how I can sort this out please?

Reply 1 of 2, by Scott8bit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update*

Very weird things, I have connected the OSSC to my 75” TV and DOS / BIOS works perfect! sadly thought windows doesn’t, that is now black screen.. I’m assuming I’m extremely unlucky 🤣

Reply 2 of 2, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might want to check VideoGamePerfection's forum, since they're the ones who develop the firmware for the OSSC:
https://videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/ … entium-233-mmx/

You may need to adjust timings or configure the OSSC to pass-through higher resolutions, or only use 2x upscaling, depending on your TV.
Different TVs react differently to the signal the OSSC sends, and certain modes are more compatible than others.
For example, Windows at 640x480@60hz might work best with these settings:
H. samplerate 850
H. synclen 59
H. backporch 56
H. active 720
V. synclen 2
V. backporch 30
V. active 480

Also, if you haven't yet, update your OSSC's firmware. It has a primitive OSD now and can store way more preset profiles for stuff.