VOGONS

First post, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all.
i have a Compaq Armada 1550 that was running windows 3.11 for workgroups but the installation was getting a a few errors here and there so i formatted the hd and installed
win 3.11 the retail version so not the workgroups version after i installed the laptops windows 3.1 video drivers i get a error everytime i go to open the control pannel its says can only work with linear addressing hardware. click ok or cancel either one will open the control panel as normal but i am annoyed at this error and dont understand what it means or how to fix it. also i cant work out how to uninstall the graphics drivers to see if that would fix the issue.

also what is the difference between windows 3.11 and 3.11 for workgroups is one better than the other?

Reply 1 of 1, by ThisOldTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You'll need an updated video card driver -- even the generic from Chips & Technologies for the card built-in or just use the default SVGA driver.
The only difference between 3.1 and 3.11 (for workgroups) was networking support for networks. Ironically it's confusing because 3.1 *could* use internet for example, but didn't have the necessary software for being a client on a larger network.

I rescue old PCs and keep them from being recycled... and preserve Dos/Win 3.11 Software on https://www.ThisOldTech.ca.
Current Machine: AST Advantage! Adventure 6066d Cyrix DX50, 32M, 500MB, Vibra16 + CD/Floppy