VOGONS

Reply 40 of 44, by FramerateUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using a Voodoo 1 (an Orchid Righteous 3D) paired with a TNT2 Ultra in as PII-450 machine for quite a few years and it's been pretty solid. I've got an Apocalypse 3Dx in the machine too, and it's quite nice to be able to cover quite a few bases when it comes to 90's games.

Most games work great, the only exception being Ultim@te Race Pro which for some reason has a very yellow tint to the fog - so I use the PowerVR instead.

I did have a Celeron 300 previous and that worked just as well, but I had 450 as a kid and wanted the same again. Also, a 450 paired with as TNT2 Ultra can get away with playing some newer games like NFS: High Stakes.

Reply 41 of 44, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-03-30, 19:53:
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-03-30, 18:03:
Meatball wrote on 2022-03-24, 15:01:

There's nothing wrong with them. Most people love them, especially around this time frame. I Irrationally avoid them is all because I have always had access to Pentium IIs and IIIs. I'm not generally fond of "budget" parts, even if they are of greater value. I never used Celerons 'back in the day' and it continues to today. Pentium IIs are dirt cheap today. It's the Slot 1 motherboards, which can be costly if one is of the mindset $80-$100 is costly. (which it could be.. depends on the goals, person, budget, etc.) And I buy motherboards with the box and all accessories for that price, in general. You should be able to do a lot better than that for a loose one. The problems here won't because it's a Celeron per se, that's for sure.

BTW wanted to tell you, yeah the card was broken it had broken conducting paths as i got the celeron 400 the card started the 3dfx logo now had no textures anymore just black somethings so i checked the card more detailed and found out that the lower chip for the both had cutted conducting paths to ram 1 and ram 4 so it either gave a circuit or whatever...it never had a chance...glad the seller offered a refund.

The 2nd time (card) will be the charm.

Second Card arrived Today. Works out of the Box. But had small glitches in NFS2 SE in the menue...Gameplay was nice and stable. Turok did Run fine menue and Ingame. I guess its the "2D Card" who Renders the Menues?

Reply 42 of 44, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-04-01, 18:26:
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-03-30, 18:03:

BTW wanted to tell you, yeah the card was broken it had broken conducting paths as i got the celeron 400 the card started the 3dfx logo now had no textures anymore just black somethings so i checked the card more detailed and found out that the lower chip for the both had cutted conducting paths to ram 1 and ram 4 so it either gave a circuit or whatever...it never had a chance...glad the seller offered a refund.

Second Card arrived Today. Works out of the Box. But had small glitches in NFS2 SE in the menue...Gameplay was nice and stable. Turok did Run fine menue and Ingame. I guess its the "2D Card" who Renders the Menues?

The Voodoo renders the game completely, it just can't render 2D in "windowed" mode. Try a different driver. I just played (and retested a few minutes ago) Need for Speed 2 SE on Obsidian 100DB-4440 cards in SLI - they are based on the original Voodoo, and I don't have any corruption. My Glide2x.dll version is 2.43.2.

Reply 43 of 44, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-04-01, 18:46:
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-04-01, 18:26:

The Voodoo renders the game completely, it just can't render 2D in "windowed" mode. Try a different driver. I just played (and retested a few minutes ago) Need for Speed 2 SE on Obsidian 100DB-4440 cards in SLI - they are based on the original Voodoo, and I don't have any corruption. My Glide2x.dll version is 2.43.2.

My Glide2x Version is 2.48.00.0455

Reply 44 of 44, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FramerateUK wrote on 2022-03-31, 13:12:

I did have a Celeron 300 previous and that worked just as well, but I had 450 as a kid and wanted the same again. Also, a 450 paired with as TNT2 Ultra can get away with playing some newer games like NFS: High Stakes.

I have found PIII 750-900 to be best for NFS High Stakes. Too many cars at start can cause major frame rate drop and the game doesn't run smooth until they are overtaken. That happens even at 750Mhz with maxed out graphics and 32bit color. At 840Mhz (112x7.5) or 900Mhz it is overall more playable. One shouldn't expect the be able to run NFS at full quality with slower processors.

Riva TNT2 is a good match for 450 as the CPU it can't take advantage of faster graphics card.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS