VOGONS

First post, by HenriWintermans

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello forum!

I've been stuck with a problem and I figured someone here might be able to help.

I just got a Gigabyte GA-586S2 rev 1.2 with a Pentium-MMX 200 MHz CPU in it (I'm assuming this latter info is largely irrelevant, but whatever).

The problem is the following: I'm trying to get image on a PCI video card, but the board only gives the 1 long, 3 short beeps to let me know it didn't detect a video card.

I got an ISA card out of one of my older machines (Trident TVGA8900C), and it works fine with that one, but of course I wasn't planning on using a Pentium machine with an ISA card.

The PCI card I tried is an S3 ViRGE/325 that works fine in every other machine I have.

I tried to change BIOS settings, on a screen very close to this one, but neither the Auto or the default Manual settings worked, nor me playing around with the Manual settings did anything. But I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing there anyway, to be honest.

If anyone has any tips or thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 2 of 3, by HenriWintermans

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-04-15, 05:07:

Do you have any other PCI cards (video card or otherwise) you could use to test the PCI bus/slots ?

I presume that you have tried it in different PCI slots .

I have a Matrox PCI card somewhere but I can't find it... I also have an ATI Rage XL, producing the same results.

The ViRGE I only tried in the top two PCI slots as the CPU is in the way for the other two. The Rage I tried in all four, and nothing.

Reply 3 of 3, by HenriWintermans

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so... I found that Matrox card, and I tried it just as a last, desperate act of defiance. It works with that one. So I'm not sure if this mystery is solved, but I guess at least I have one card it works with, so that's something.