What monitor do you use?

Topic actions

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm curious what monitor you use with your RETRO RIG 😀

I myself have been using different 17 inch non flat screen monitors up until today but I got ed up with them not lasting long..last one held up for 4 months.
I got a mega deal on a used 17inch Samsung Syncmasteer 710n TFT but I realize I must go hack to standard CRT monitors again since these TFT's can't handle low res without showing an unsharp image 😜

Last edited by Amigaz on 2008-12-23, 08:19. Edited 1 time in total.

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 1 of 101, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I currently use a 19" non-widescreen LG Flatron L1960TR.

VGA games:

Colour - excellent. General image appearance - satisfactory.

SVGA games:

Colour & general image appearance - excellent.

General Windows XP usage:

Text - satisfactory.
Graphics - good.

Problems:

The monitor is far too bright (even with brightness set to 0!), it's much too harsh and bad for your eyes.

Also, the front panel electronics make a constant humming sound.

Overall:

Not recommended, despite the good "real DOS" results.

I am thinking of replacing it with an HP2065 (which is a 20" non-widescreen 1600x1200 4:3 TFT). I want a new TFT primarily for use with old 486/Pentium machines. I am rather nervous about getting a widescreen TFT (with clever scaling options), because my number one concern is broad old PC hardware compatibility.

One thing that bothers me about getting the HP2065 though is "panel lottery". When you buy one, it could either have a good panel in it from one manufacturer, or one that's not quite so good from another manufacturer. It's a bit like a "lucky dip".

Widescreen models that I am thinking about (in the back of my mind) are from BenQ and Dell (Ultrasharp). Both 24" models.

Best regards, Robert.

Reply 3 of 101, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Samsung Syncmaster 950P 19" here. It's about 8 years old now. But I do play most of my DOS games in DOSBOX now and on a LCD. The scaling is not that annoying, frankly.

Reply 5 of 101, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I own (quantity 3) the best CRT ever made. Two are spares. It's a 19" tube by Hitachi, and the last model they made. Frankly, I think it blows away the Sony Trinitrons of the day.

I have them in three different "monitor" casings.

1) Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751 (my current monitor for everything)
2) KDS VS-195e (same Hitachi 19", glossy coating)
3) Gateway 19" monitor of some type - forget the model, but it had the same tube. My tertiary spare.

They can pry these CRT's from my cold dead hands. 😵

Reply 8 of 101, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sony G500 (Trinitron 21" CRT) here. I'm very happy with it, but it's eight years old and might die soon (black level already half gone).
Looking for LCD replacement, but those I've already seen either come with crappy interpolation and useless scaling options or I can't afford them.

Reply 9 of 101, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lacie Electron 22 Blue IV (re-badged Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB) connected to a BFG 7950GT (NVidia). Used with the WinXP (SP2) NTVDM with the 7950GT vBIOS altered for 85Hz refresh rate for all VESA video mode resolutions using a patched VGA.SYS file. Connected to my now aging Intel D925XECV2 motherboard with a Pentium 4 (672) running at a stock 3.8GHz.

The second of the dual video inputs of the Lacie Electron Blue IV connect to whatever retro rig I am testing/using. So one CRT handles current and retro rigs...

dvwjr

Reply 11 of 101, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all your breplies so far. 😀

I had to change the initial post since it seems some don't know what "RETRO" means 😉

Which I hd my Sony Multiscan G200 17inch Trinitron left....it started to die about 2 years ago, all of a sudden everything on the screen hade a very blue tone 😵
All of these good CRT's are on the edge of dying when you get them so it's hard to find a good one for long term use

I wonder if there's a TFT out there that can scale right and which can display or old games in some clarity

Reply 12 of 101, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

I wonder if there's a TFT out there that can scale right and which can display or old games in some clarity

This thread -

Re: Which 1600x1200 LCD?

contained two good posts by Vogons users "GL1zdA" and "Malik" which may interest you.

Regarding the 24" Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP, 1920x1200 (16:10) monitor, some of its scaling options don't work terribly well, so I have read.

Malik's screenshots look good, and these are VGA games using an old graphics card.

Also, GL1zdA reports that "Through D-Sub (analogue) 320x200 and 320x240 work without problems" on his BenQ monitor.

HTH.

Reply 13 of 101, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My TV is a Samsung Series 5 32" LCD and that does a wonderful thing via HDMI (no DVI though) when set to "PC" mode, namely 1:1 pixel mapping. The only issue is that this only works in in its native res - 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz. If any other mode is in operation it's either scaled up or down to meet 720P or 1360 x 768 and doesn't look correct. However via VGA all the native lower resolution modes work properly and remain 1:1 unslaed and that's because via VGA my 9600GT is not scaling the display at all. FP scaling can be disabled in HDMI but it produces unpredictable results in some modes.

Reply 14 of 101, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
This thread - […]
Show full quote
Amigaz wrote:

This thread -

Re: Which 1600x1200 LCD?

contained two good posts by Vogons users "GL1zdA" and "Malik" which may interest you.

Regarding the 24" Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP, 1920x1200 (16:10) monitor, some of its scaling options don't work terribly well, so I have read.

Malik's screenshots look good, and these are VGA games using an old graphics card.

Also, GL1zdA reports that "Through D-Sub (analogue) 320x200 and 320x240 work without problems" on his BenQ monitor.

HTH.

mmm...seen that thread.
Problem is that imho a 24inch screen is too big and the gfx will look too blocky
The LCD TV sreenshots is widescreen and the original 4:3 ratio is stretched to 16:9 which is bad

Reply 15 of 101, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aspect ratio can be fixed at the screen via the remote/screen controls for real DOS output or managed via DOSBox so that's not a big issue. Yes blockiness can be a problem but for some it may be the appeal too 😉

Reply 16 of 101, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fiddled a bit with my monitor settings and think I got quite good results:
01fe8e21670908.gif

Reply 18 of 101, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Amigaz, you're on TV! 😀

5u3, have you finished using that laptop yet...because it's beginning to make your face go green! 🤣

Yep, that's me 😀

That damn Hans, I managed to push over that slab before he came so now I have to fight him with my fists which is mission impossible 🙁