Rendition Verite Thread

Topic actions

Reply 101 of 652, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Davros , ofcourse you understand it is mandatory to post pics now! 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 102 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heretic 2 runs on the Quake 2 engine. I believe that Quake 2 came with a special Verite OpenGL ICD so that file is probably exactly that. It was primarily for the V1000 boards, I think.

Reply 104 of 652, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i'll email it to anyone who wants it

ps: maybe the heretic 2 demo has it

edit: It does
http://www.gamershell.com/download_4568.shtml

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 106 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's undoubtedly a minimal miniGL that only supports what the Quake2 engine needs.

Rendition released both a miniGL and a full OpenGL driver for download. They are in my driver pack in the first post of this thread. They work on both V1000 and V2x00 but the former is almost too slow for GL.

The newest OpenGL game I think a Rendition card can run is Half Life and it isn't exactly pretty. 😀 And that's on a V2200. One big issue is that they don't do per-pixel mip mapping, meaning you can see texture detail change on a per polygon basis and this is really ugly in some games.

I've attached the readmes for the GL drivers. They are interesting.

Attachments

Reply 108 of 652, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rendition-Verite-V2200- … =item1c140744b9

8mb v2200 rendition verite's bnib it seems, half a dozen of 'em.

Man that's one ugly card.

Reply 109 of 652, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

My first thought is: ....that's it???
It looks a lot like one of those early AGP SiS cards or a Virge GX or something.
Anyway, I think I'll pass for 15 Pounds. I'm a lil low on funds atm (stuped Ebay, L0L!)

Reply 110 of 652, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

swaaye, Excellent Post! I'm speechless again! 😀

bushwack, Your 3dfx and Verite Collections Rock! 😀

I've got a V2200 coming my way. Just wondering if higher colour modes are accessible for this card in Windows 3.1x without the SVGA patch, using Windows' own built-in SVGA driver.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 111 of 652, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

I talked to that guy about a bulk lot deal but the only break he could cut me was a little off shipping. It comes to about $30 USD each ($180) to take the whole lot, a few dollars more each to buy just one and Paypal always rips you off with currency conversions so figure spending another $2-$3 per card for that. I don't think it's worth $30+ even if they are new in the box. There isn't even any games, demos or utilities to show the card off in the box, just the card. I contemplated posting here for anyone who wanted to contribute to a pool to buy the lot but I didn't think anyone would go for it at that price.

Reply 112 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah these are just some uber cheap generic cards probably built off surplus liquidated chip inventory. 😁 Not to say that the fancier cards from Hercules, etc were top quality with their blurry analog output.

Reply 114 of 652, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ooohhh...I got one! 😁

The Diamond Stealth II on ebay got marked down 35% so I went for it. I figure if I'm going to pay big for a Rendition card I might as well get one from a name brand company instead of a generic one that I have to wait to ship from England and get ripped off for currency conversion. I would have liked to get the 8mb framebuffer, but these things are so hard to find I'm happy just to get this one.

Reply 115 of 652, by catatonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I looked at the disc that came with my Thriller3D. It appears to be a generic Hercules disc with drivers for all their cards from 1997 with folders named "glide", 'stingray', 'term' (terminator), 'dynamite', 'thriller', etc. Some even have OS/2 drivers. There are demos for a Worms game (I don't know which one) , 'Tritryst', 'Command & Conquer', and 'Zone Raiders'. I believe they are all 2D games from 1995. THe Rendition drivers are for Win95 and NT 4.0. Both have an "OLD" version and a newer one. Video capture drivers are there for Win95.

Reply 116 of 652, by Concupiscence

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an 8 MB Hercules Thriller3D with TV Out at my place, but don't even know if it works...

The Quake II-specific renderer was an interesting piece of work: written in RRedline, it's designed for the V1000 and manages the game pretty well at 512x384, but doesn't support colored lighting since it's based on the software renderer. It's certainly better than software alone - at least, at the time when it was new. A brief test on a V2200 was more impressive, mostly because the Athlon XP 1800+ which fed it was vastly more than capable of saturating the card with data. As noted elsewhere in this thread, the per-vertex mipmapping didn't do the card any visual favors. The OpenGL driver was also pretty patchy... Unreal was more or less infeasible. I think there's a Youtube video showing what I mean. Even with that CPU, speed in VGA mode sucked.

All of that said, the march of time's rendered them interesting curiosities. Even the integrated video in my i865G-powered HTPC would club the Rendition and eat its bones.

Reply 118 of 652, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Btw, is it easy to flash the Diamond Stealth II's? I know I got that file somewhere but I never tried it as I got nothing but the .exe file, no manual or howto's.