VOGONS

Rendition Verite Thread

Topic actions

Reply 382 of 652, by falloutboy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had problems running VQuake2, it was the newish reference driver "v2k-3.0b5".
You are using "Release 3.0, build 5078 -- December 15th, 1998", I guess that's the problem.

With the latest Hercules driver "th3dw085.exe" no problems at all. Driver can be found here.
Rendition - Hercules Thriller3D Collection http://vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=18&menustate=17,1

Reply 383 of 652, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Small update of my Rendition Verite collection.

12783654_602625113227545_2866792701889400792_o.jpg

more pics and info here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.602 … 42542968&type=3

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 385 of 652, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow so many verite cards...
This thread along with the other that has the game shots makes me want to get one too, kinda want to check a V2200 card for quite some time but never found a cheap one to get. One day though I'll join the club 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 386 of 652, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Wow so many verite cards...
This thread along with the other that has the game shots makes me want to get one too, kinda want to check a V2200 card for quite some time but never found a cheap one to get. One day though I'll join the club 🤣

Or you can be like me. Bought mine (no label on the chip see above) for $4 from a used parts store some 5 years ago or so, had it sitting at home all these years, didn't even know it was a V2200, thought it was just a random generic PCI VGA card.

Reply 387 of 652, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I kinda and kinda not want a V2sometihng also

Kinda because of the odd GL testing potential with early generation hardware 😀

Kinda not because of the fact i've pretty much decommisssioned all of my old rigs right now. PCem is making them really dusty 🤣

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 388 of 652, by G1nX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought I'd share two cards from the development of the Rendition Verite line:

This one has holes for mounting a test socket on the pcb, early chip version, it had a fan and heatsink at one point, green pcb, two BIOS chips but doesn't boot-up.
Verite_DSC_0195w.jpg

This one has holes for mounting a test socket on the pcb, chip version V1000-M, functional.
IMG_0980w.jpg

Cheers,
G1nX

Retro-gamer & VGA Collector
Powered by Voodoo5 6000

Reply 390 of 652, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks more like where someone would mount a heatsink+ fan and bolt it through the board like later nvidia/amd boards had to me.. but I doubt these cards ever ran hot enough to warrant that.

Reply 391 of 652, by G1nX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Putas wrote:

How do you find these gems?

Friends and luck 😀

kithylin wrote:

It looks more like where someone would mount a heatsink+ fan and bolt it through the board like later nvidia/amd boards had to me.. but I doubt these cards ever ran hot enough to warrant that.

Not really. In the development stages of silicon they much rather have a pcb with socket like the one in the bellow pictures from which they can easily replace the chip when new batches of silicon were created and not loose time with soldering. Only once they got a stable chip then they would solder it to a board for further testing but the pcb layout was the same with appropriate reworks.
IMG_10454w.jpg
IMG_10451w.jpg
The only reason you don't see these this often because the socket itself is expensive and only few boards had them and those were kept in house by the engineers that worked on them.
The heatsink on the Rendition green prototype card has held in place by an adhesive thermal pad which is still attached to the chip and can be seen in the picture I posted. Why I believe it had a fan because there is a connector which seems to have been torn which would power the fan. Why they would put a fan on it well it was early development stages of the chip which ran hotter than the revision which reached production stages or just because they wanted to remove the heat factor as a potential issue.

Powered by Voodoo5 6000

Reply 392 of 652, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm still hoping for more Hercules Thriller Conspiracy fun, like if there was a demo which showed off the Fujitsu chip or something 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 393 of 652, by G1nX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

I'm still hoping for more Hercules Thriller Conspiracy fun, like if there was a demo which showed off the Fujitsu chip or something 😀

That makes two of us. Until someones find the drivers and compatible application to put the Fujitsu chip through it's paces the card will just be a nice display item in my collection.