VOGONS

Rendition Verite Thread

Topic actions

Reply 480 of 652, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys, recently acquired a Diamond Stealth II S220 and trying to catch up on this thread.

I’m having an issue with vquake108 where it freezes within a few seconds of the game starting. I’ve tried version 106 of vquake but it mentions I have the wrong microcode. Any help would be appreciated and I’ll keep reading in the meantime, thanks!

Reply 481 of 652, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tried the DMAtest tool but it says PCI access failed, failed to access Verite Board.

Attachments

Reply 482 of 652, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All caught up, updated the bios from 1.31 to 1.36 and no change, vquake still freezing. I noticed one other user that mentioned the same motherboard chipset as mine, Socket 3 SIS, so I feel like this should work.

Might have to try this card in another machine.

Last edited by Chadti99 on 2020-08-07, 03:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 483 of 652, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Patched the dmatest.exe with the v2dosfix and got the following results.

Attachments

Reply 484 of 652, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I noticed the card was quite hot and decided to a put some make shift cooling on it. Now I’ve been able to keep it running for a bit longer, almost a minute once. I think there may be an issue with this card. Anyone else come across this?

Attachments

Reply 486 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if it is running the BIOS that Diamond released which clocks the V2100 up to V2200 speeds and that it's not stable at that speed.

I'd try underclocking it regardless and see if that fixes it. I think Powerstrip can change its clock speeds.

Reply 488 of 652, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Chadti99 wrote on 2020-08-06, 23:45:

Hi guys, recently acquired a Diamond Stealth II S220 and trying to catch up on this thread.

I’m having an issue with vquake108 where it freezes within a few seconds of the game starting. I’ve tried version 106 of vquake but it mentions I have the wrong microcode. Any help would be appreciated and I’ll keep reading in the meantime, thanks!

Have you checked to make sure you have the correct .uc microcode dependency files in the game's root directory?
Have you tried any games other than vQuake? Perhaps the Tomb Raider Rendition demo?

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Reply 489 of 652, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Chadti99 wrote on 2020-08-07, 02:17:

Socket 3 SIS, so I feel like this should work.

Might have to try this card in another machine.

As far as I know all Quake versions are needed FPU a strong FPU. I should try the card in a machine at least Intel p166 or one with better FPU performamce.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 490 of 652, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was able to get Tomb Raider running after disabling sound, otherwise it would crash immediately to a garbled screen.

Swapped the card into a slot 1 machine and it appears to be working fine with vquake! 30fps on timedemo 1 at 720x480. Smooth enough for me and I really like the video quality.

I guess I’m just pushing the boundaries of a socket 3 too far. It’s frustrating that it works at all before freezing but I guess that’s the way it goes on this old hardware. I’ll try it on another Socket 3 board I have once I can flash a new bios for it.

Been wanting to try one of these cards out for a long time, thanks for all the help everyone!

Reply 492 of 652, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote on 2020-08-07, 17:13:

Oh you were running it in a 486? I didn't notice that. I don't think you can count on any 486 chipset having PCI DMA that works well enough for a Rendition card.

Got it, if I do run across a 486 board it works in I’ll update here.

Reply 493 of 652, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mithloraite wrote on 2013-01-07, 13:14:
Thanks for the find! Might I ask what's special about it? Any speed or visual improvements? […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote:

I went digging. Here's a particularily rare old version of VQuake the googles can't find.

Thanks for the find!
Might I ask what's special about it? Any speed or visual improvements?

On my typical SiS 160MHz 486 VQuake is significantly less speedy than Voodoo1+GLQuake. Can't cope well with 640x480 with weaker CPU... though V1 and V2 do great 😐
...and the card is Verite v2200 so it should compare with V1 at least in some aspects.
I would like some "mega" edition of VQuake... 😀

I realize this post is a few years old but in case you pop back on, was curious which SiS motherboard and specific v2200 card you had working in vQuake? So far I’ve been unsuccessful.

Reply 494 of 652, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Moved the 220 back to the socket 3 board and replaced the POD for an AMD 5x86 and it appears to be running without issue although I need a proper cooler for this CPU to know for sure. Very interesting!

Reply 495 of 652, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It’s working on the POD now!

I left the cpu jumpers in place for the 5x86 and reinstalled the POD and now I’m running stable for almost an hour. This is a Lucky Star LS486e board, I think revision c. Seeing 22.5fps on Timedemo 1, no sound. I really need to find out what these jumpers do.

Reply 496 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chadti99 wrote on 2020-08-08, 13:57:

I left the cpu jumpers in place for the 5x86 and reinstalled the POD and now I’m running stable for almost an hour. This is a Lucky Star LS486e board, I think revision c. Seeing 22.5fps on Timedemo 1, no sound. I really need to find out what these jumpers do.

Cool stuff. The V2xxx chips are less touchy than the V1000 so maybe that's helping. V1000 likes to lock up even on a 440BX motherboard.

Reply 497 of 652, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Chadti99 wrote on 2020-08-08, 13:57:

I have experienced similar with an other 486 motherboard and AMD 5x86: with the official jumper settings was not good but after lot jumper playing I have found a stable jumper settings.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 498 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that's because the P24T (POD) spec changed during development. That's part of why it's hard to find a board that works really well with it. Some boards need physical modifications even though they have a P24T jumper configuration.