Topic actions

Reply 720 of 1104, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote on 2021-01-09, 09:25:
vetz wrote on 2012-12-05, 00:07:

I tested the 4.0.0 drivers for the PCX1. Damn the performance drop is significant compared to the 4.1.2 in Direct3D in all games! The drivers certainly improved over time. With the 4.0.0 I could finally get Motoracer (demo) running without problems, but the framerate suffered. A patch was released for Motoracer retail, but I only got the Mystique enhanced version of the game and it doesn't work with that version.

Hellbender and MTM trial still didn't work properly with the 4.0.0 drivers. What is curious though is that I can't find any information on Google Groups about people really complaining about these two games in late 96/early 97. They were prime test candidates for D3D games. Only thing I find is that they run slow, which makes me think that PowerVR never bothered to fix these games, but just turned off acceleration on the PCX1 in the application settings.

Die Hard Triology still don't want to run in D3D mode. I have no clue what is going on there, as the readme states support for the PCX1.

that's interesting...I am thinking it's about the other way round. older drivers are better for my PCX1.
I am currently using the Apocalypse3d driver from this CD http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=995&menustate=0

Think that depends on each game, some will run better, some actually worse, and some will run correct. Also the host card can have alot to say on the performace you get, see https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/ where Gona gets huge differences in frame rate Tomb Raider

Also if you need drivers, I've made a compilation with all drivers that I was able to acquire:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=545

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 721 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used that collection-drivers before, but the driver on Apocalypse-CD v5 is different from your collection.
It has also a very different install process. Please check that. The driver from V5 is 11/1997! 4.0.2.x?
I think also the framerate on Motoracer1 seems to be much better!

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 722 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another idea that comes to my mind is, if there exists a sgl-wrapper. could this thing perhaps be used the other way to improve compatibility for the original card and d3d games? just an stupid idea...

Reply 723 of 1104, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote on 2021-01-09, 11:44:

I used that collection-drivers before, but the driver on Apocalypse-CD v5 is different from your collection.
It has also a very different install process. Please check that. The driver from V5 is 11/1997! 4.0.2.x?
I think also the framerate on Motoracer1 seems to be much better!

You're right, the driver on this CD is 4.0.2, which is not included. What about 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 for the Apocalyse 3D (PCX1) in that compilation, do they also cause lower framerates?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 726 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a solution for POD 😀 You have to install the pod21pvr update TWICE! then he generates a podpvr and everything is fine 😀 nhlpowerplay98 is stuttering on the 4.0.2 drivers but fifa98 is fine. I stick to these 4.0.2 drivers.

Reply 727 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If someone will test out other textures for tombraider2, then please check these:

https://core-design.com/FTP/TR2_Alpha_Mod_Part_1.zip
https://core-design.com/FTP/TR2_Alpha_Mod_Part_2.zip
https://core-design.com/FTP/TR2_Alpha_Mod_Part_3.zip

They do work with PVR-Renderer 😀 . Decide for ourself if they are better than the original ones.

Reply 728 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Far from being perfect, but they work on PCX1. Copy the *.wad file in the directory and then use the launcher or a batch file. Hexen has the worst compatibility. Menu is broken, Hud is broken (on all), reflections/lights are too bright. But hey...it works! Don't know how to improve with the opengl32.ini or if the is another better version of the opengl32.dll.

Attachments

• Filename
    Hexen1.zip
    File size
    552.49 KiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    Heretic1.zip
    File size
    488.53 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    Doom2.zip
    File size
    499.71 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    Doom1.zip
    File size
    499.86 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 729 of 1104, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so would the pcx2 fair better in a 64bit pci slot maybe. can it even take adavantage ? i can see the slight boost of a maybe a bx system at 133fsb because of the overclocked pci bus but your still stuck with a pentium 3 . then again doubt you can expect much more moving to a pentium 4.

Reply 730 of 1104, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

in bx system pci bus doesn't overclock it has proper divider, its the AGP bus that overclocks to 89mhz
in a true 66mhz pci slot that was attached to like a PCI-X 133 slot the card wouldn't run becasue its not 3.3v keyed. Its keyed for 5vonly. It wouldn't even be insert able in such a slot.
the card though will get better FPS on faster CPUs though as it scales.

Reply 731 of 1104, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
greasemonkey90s wrote on 2021-01-18, 00:43:

so would the pcx2 fair better in a 64bit pci slot maybe. can it even take adavantage ? i can see the slight boost of a maybe a bx system at 133fsb because of the overclocked pci bus but your still stuck with a pentium 3 . then again doubt you can expect much more moving to a pentium 4.

No, 64bit PCI requires that extended connector.
Gona just tried 66 MHz PCI on Apocalypse 3Dx and it did not work either.

Reply 732 of 1104, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-01-18, 02:17:

in bx system pci bus doesn't overclock it has proper divider, its the AGP bus that overclocks to 89mhz
in a true 66mhz pci slot that was attached to like a PCI-X 133 slot the card wouldn't run becasue its not 3.3v keyed. Its keyed for 5vonly. It wouldn't even be insert able in such a slot.
the card though will get better FPS on faster CPUs though as it scales.

oh yea thats right for some reason i thought the pci bus was also overclocked my bad well unless you have pci divider control but correct my bad. and thats right about 5v issue damn to much dreaming in my head.

Reply 733 of 1104, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Putas wrote on 2021-01-18, 04:40:
greasemonkey90s wrote on 2021-01-18, 00:43:

No, 64bit PCI requires that extended connector.
Gona just tried 66 MHz PCI on Apocalypse 3Dx and it did not work either.

noted thanks man

Reply 734 of 1104, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ve started a new thread but thought I’d ask here as well. I recently acquired a Matrox m3D and Windows detects the card and I’m able to install drivers. Unfortunately when Windows restarts it hangs at the Windows startup logo. I’m running this in an IBM Aptiva Socket 7 VX board with a K6-3 running Windows 98 SE. I’m using drivers from the PowerVR driver pack found here on the ftp. I’ve tried moving PCI slots and removing other PCI devices to no avail. I’ll def try this card in another machine in a day or two but has anyone else come across this behavior?

Reply 735 of 1104, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, even though Windows mentioned there were no IRQ conflicts I forced it to IRQ 9 from 10 using tweak Bios and now she’s booting into Windows!
Unfortunately the few things I’ve tried are horrible slideshows, gotta love this old tech 🤣.

Reply 736 of 1104, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Swapped the graphics card to a Mystique and now we’re in business with some decent FPS. I guess it just didn’t like the onboard Rage II.

Couple of questions:

Can I force specific refresh rates on the m3D? I’d like to lock it to 60Hz if possible. If I try to go below 640x480 in Quake it pushes an 85hz refresh which my LCD can’t handle.

And what is “M3dpci.exe” that’s now in my autoexec.bat ?

Reply 739 of 1104, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How’s 26 FPS in SGL Quake on a K6-3 450Mhz at 640x480? Any issues with this number? Am I low or high or right on the mark? This is on a Matrox m3D (PCX2).

Attachments

Last edited by Chadti99 on 2021-04-07, 10:47. Edited 1 time in total.