VOGONS

PowerVR Fun Thread

Topic actions

Reply 461 of 1104, by rodarkone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey guys - I have a power vr card - but unfortunately don't have too much information about it - If I remember is the model with 3D and sound incorporated

I've spent a lot of time looking for the correct driver for the card but I tested a demo of tomb raider and it didn't worked.

do you know what 3d games are compatible with it ?

Reply 462 of 1104, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3d and sound incorporated: That would mean Videologic Apocalypse 5D Sonic. Pretty rare. Please check if it matches these photos:
http://vgamuseum.ru/gpu/powervr/videologic-ap … 0-ess-agogo-xp/
http://www.amoretro.de/2013/11/videologic-apo … -agogo-pci.html

That card has a PowerVR PCX2 chip. The PowerVR demo of Tomb Raider should work with it.
For drivers see eg. http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=16,1
For compatible 3d games see 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

Of course it is possible that you have a completely different card. The later Kyro/Kyro2 cards are more common. Those can just do Direct3D and OpenGL, no PowerSGL. Please check your card first.

Reply 464 of 1104, by rodarkone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed the board - looks like is working under my win 98 se machine but I cannot play anything in 3d ... when I try Q2 none of the provided 3D drivers are accepted. I found some 3d wraper but is still not working it trows an error regarding some SDL.dll that needs to be updated 🙁(

Reply 465 of 1104, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One more update with Verite V1000L as primary card, the SiS 315 was for some reason limiting Incoming a lot. Found out latest driver does not work with 66 MHz FSB, Win98 default one was used then. I am afraid it does not perform that well. I am too busy to continue, the data is enough for me.

Reply 466 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjt wrote:

System Shock 2?

haven't tried this yet iirc, but from what I remember from testing the Thiefs, there's gonna be a big gray lightmap with otherwise correctly blended alphablend-heavy effects

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 468 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC the demo version would probably be Rendition-only. I remember it being all Rendition exclusive in 98 (along with other rendition-exclusive papyrus titles that seem gimped to promote their own Screamin' 3D cards. those sierrassholes)

Games that don't work btw (As in don't start):
4x4 Evolution (D3D7 and OpenGL both fail, even with the Techland driver)
Catechumen
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer (you'd think it'd would, given vertex lighting and alpha blending/modulation only it would look perfect)
Starsiege Tribes (OpenGL mode has a LOT of protection to foreign ICDs as an aggressive anti-cheating measure)
Dungeon Keeper 2 (odd when Black & White works)
Doom 3

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 469 of 1104, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rodarkone wrote:

I installed the board - looks like is working under my win 98 se machine but I cannot play anything in 3d ... when I try Q2 none of the provided 3D drivers are accepted. I found some 3d wraper but is still not working it trows an error regarding some SDL.dll that needs to be updated 🙁(

You might want to create another thread since I seem to be the only one answering you here, but I suppose not many people have experience with the Apocalypse 5D (Sonic or not) since it is so rare. I guess it would fetch quite a bit on ebay. (I have never even seen one, but somebody from Germany recently offered one on AmiBay who wanted 180€ for it and it seemingly sold for the price. No mention if boxed or not. There were two auctions on ebay.ie for boxed ones which sold for crazy prices.) If you are not genuinely interested in the 5D Sonic and not collecting either I'd probably sell it and get something easier to play with.

That said (ie. I also don't have experience with that card), I'll assume you properly installed the drivers (no question marks in device manager) and the PowerVR MiniGL wrapper for Q2 (I suppose that's what you tried) complains about SDL.dll being too old instead of missing you could try some of the demos linked from the thread I already mentioned: 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
(I found some remark in an old magazine returned from Google Books search about driver installation being a little difficult, you were supposed to run a special installer routine before installing the card.)
If none of the demo works I suppose the driver isn't installed correctly.
I'd probably try to install a reference driver for the PCX2 chip then (you can find those on vogonsdrivers), but I don't know if that will work or if you need the combined package for the card.

Reply 471 of 1104, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Quake2 doesn't use SDL.

Oops, I misread that as SGL.DLL and even wrote SDL.dll. The PowerVR MiniGL dll references SGL.DLL so I suppose that's what was meant.

Reply 473 of 1104, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Apocalypse 5D drivers are available on Vogonsdrivers

I already posted the link to the driver package you uploaded. I don't know if rodarkone tried that one or what the issue is.

Reply 474 of 1104, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
idspispopd wrote:
vetz wrote:

Apocalypse 5D drivers are available on Vogonsdrivers

I already posted the link to the driver package you uploaded. I don't know if rodarkone tried that one or what the issue is.

Sorry, missed that you linked to it earlier (posting from my phone so easier to overlook stuff)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 476 of 1104, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kreats wrote:

Speaking of Apocalypse 5D's... I use one in my DOS 486 but realize I never have actually used the PowerVR side of it.

Are there any PowerVR games that work under DOS?

Only Tomb Raider. I don't think a 486 is powerful enough though.

Reply 477 of 1104, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

quick question to the PowerVR experts here (which Im not one of) . which are the best drivers (in terms of performance/compatibility) for a PCX1 (specifically the Apocalypse 3D).

right now Ive got 1 of the PCX1 cards Ive got, running in my Dual Tualatin 1.4 system under Win98SE. with the latest reference drivers, and compared to the benchmark results on the Vintage3D website, my results are all over the place, some are higher some are lower (specifically Quake2 , which is getting around 5-6 frames lower on my machine).

The primary card is a Voodoo5500.

Reply 478 of 1104, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's an AMD 5x86 133 - still basically a 486 tho

Damn, never was much of a tomb raider fan. One more game than none tho.

Ho hum.. looks like I'll have to put windows on it at some point. which will also kill performance.

Reply 479 of 1104, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tomb Raider for PowerVR have two executables, one for PCX1 and one for PCX2. Even though the PowerVR part is a PCX2 in the Apocalypse 5D I'm not sure it'll be recognized as such by the game.