VGA Capture Thread

Topic actions

Reply 181 of 1403, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣

What would you like to see? What CPU? What resolution?

I got to redo the DOS benchmarks I used for my Socket 7 motherboard reviews. I noticed that I get different scores when shutting down into MS-DOS mode compared to booting > F8 > Command prompt.

Luckily the Windows benchmarks are all good so it shouldn't take me long 😀

Also colour conditional formatted results to easily spot who's strong / weak in what area.

And a little hint: GO SIS!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 182 of 1403, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This might be of interest! A quite decent solution for capturing low resolution 320 x 200 DOS footage:

StarTech VGA2HDMIPRO Professional VGA to HDMI® Audio Video Converter with Scaler

My YouTube channel

Reply 183 of 1403, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems to be built out of similar stuff to my Gefen VGA to DVI box.

I just wish YouTube would hurry up with it's 60fps support, I've been able to do it for years now and have a few things that benefit from it. Anybody want a demonstration?

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 184 of 1403, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

Anybody want a demonstration?

Sure!

I also agree. 60 fps captures are so much smoother. I did this Quake 2 gameplay on a V3 with v-sync and it's so smooth to see at 60 fps on the big screen. Thing is compression actually works quite well with 60 fps so videos shouldn't become that much larger in terms of storage requirements.

How much was your unit? Is your menu any different?

My YouTube channel

Reply 185 of 1403, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

Seems to be built out of similar stuff to my Gefen VGA to DVI box.

I just wish YouTube would hurry up with it's 60fps support, I've been able to do it for years now and have a few things that benefit from it. Anybody want a demonstration?

I would wish that they wouldn't stick to a specific fps rate but use the one from the source. 60 fps is already an improvement. However all low res DOS stuff is 70 Hz, so all 70 fps animations will still stutter a bit on 60 fps.
And there are 50 fps videos from all the old consoles and old home computers such as C64 etc.
All my original encodes use the source fps rate.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 186 of 1403, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems 60 fps on Youtube has been enabled for everyone. The last two videos I uploaded play back at 60 fps if a HD resolution is chosen.
Older videos are not (yet?) available in 60 fps.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 187 of 1403, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, nice, will re-upload one of my Voodoo videos 😀

But how come there are no news about this?

EDIT: They also added a processing indicator to the Video Manager. Nice.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 188 of 1403, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is, already 14h ago: http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/29/60-fps-youtube/

Youtube Channel

Reply 190 of 1403, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never even heard of that site 🤣

I kinda expected an email from YouTube or something like that. Oh well, glad they have added this feature.

Reply 191 of 1403, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made a temporary youtube channel where I uploaded all videos again to enable reprocessing for 60 fps.
There you can watch the videos at 60 fps until the previous uploaded videos in the normal channel are upconverted.
You can find it here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm7iR0Kcp4VfmzWDEfHIqMg
A few videos are still processing...

Youtube Channel

Reply 192 of 1403, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Firtasik wrote:

No 60 FPS for Firefox users yet. 😵

much to my dissapointment when my 60fps video was still 30 to me. If this is a Chrome exclusive thing then that's pretty low for a marketing tactic

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 194 of 1403, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

60 fps Test Quake 2 3dfx Voodoo 3 3500: http://youtu.be/4jm5dOUOUv0

The fluency of 60fps is awesome 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 195 of 1403, by ShaiWa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

60 fps Test Quake 2 3dfx Voodoo 3 3500: http://youtu.be/4jm5dOUOUv0

Did you use a vga splitter or did you play directly play this in RECentral? if so how did you experience the latency?
Bought this week a KME Legacy pixel Transformer vga to dvi scaler but I'm in doubt between the avermedia broadcast HD or LGP lite or maybe the more expensive Extremcap because of latency reasons.

Reply 196 of 1403, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi!

There are simply timedemos, so I captured it directly.

I do however have splitters for VGA and DVI. The VGA splitter will degrade quality by a tiny bit not much and is ideal for gaming + capturing.

Most other cards have some sort of cloning capability and you can just clone the image and play and capture that way. The DVI splitter has a bit of a delay when resolutions are changed.

I find the lag minimal to be honest but that's not the main reason I avoid playing in Recentral. It's just more convenient to sit at the main screen, keyboard, mouse than on the capture PC.

Reply 197 of 1403, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm... Knew I forgot something; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDNTA-59X0U

Reply 198 of 1403, by ShaiWa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Philscomputerlab for the info.
HighTreason, definitely have to test those with the scaler and my ips screen just to see if they can handle it 😀
What cature card did you use or did you use a vga to svideo to usb solution?
offtopic: Stil want to make your version of the stereo covox, that one is really great.

Reply 199 of 1403, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VGA Out > powered VGA Splitter > Gefen DVI Scaler Plus > Blackmagic Intensity Pro

The Gefen was only 99p and differs slightly from the one linked as I suspect it is a version they don't make now, it's beaten up looking but it works. The Intensity Pro does not encode video on the fly and requires a pretty hefty RAID setup to do this stuff, though the lack of compression does make for a quality boost and reduces load times in Vegas as the CPU doesn't have to decompress the video.

That Covox doesn't differ greatly from Mr.H's, I seem to think I just fixed one or two issues in the logic diagram I had, but now you mention it I have to fix mine as I jammed the wrong power brick in, it was the right voltage but the incorrect polarity, I might add a rectifier to it or even just a diode to ensure that can't happen again... I've got to finish repairing my DX-100 first though as I think the DAC in that is also dead and I know for a fact the tone generator is... If I get that working it will appear on the internet at some point as the repair work is very extensive due to the board being cracked in several places and it being unable to complete the test mode due to the firmware locking up... Which I suspect is down to corruption somewhere.

As for the VGA, I think I'll come back later and add a few stills of stuff taken directly from the card, I'd upload an AVI but the file size is ridiculous and I don't really fancy paying the bill for the bandwidth it would use; around £2 for every 1GB... Sucks when your city only has one ISP.