VOGONS

VGA Capture Thread

Topic actions

Reply 760 of 768, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I took one for the team. I bought this USB capture device for ten bucks. It has a UTV007 chipset which apparently does a decent job of converting S-Video. I will test it out with the S-Video out of a few PCI cards I have lying around and report back.

USB-Capture-UTV007.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 761 of 768, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know a way to screen capture on XP? I tried OBS but it wanted to use DX10 and needed Vista or greater for that. I'm currently trying Afterburner...

Ryzen 3700X 4.4-ish GHz | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz | Nvidia 1070ti | 750GB NVMe
AM1 x4 3820 APU Thing | 6GB DDR1 | iGPU or GTX 650
Slot 1 PIII 450MHz | 256MB PC100 | Nvidia MX440 | AWE32 CT3910

Reply 762 of 768, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-02-01, 20:12:

Does anyone know a way to screen capture on XP? I tried OBS but it wanted to use DX10 and needed Vista or greater for that. I'm currently trying Afterburner...

Maybe try OBS Classic? OBS Studio came out way later.

Reply 764 of 768, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding my matrix:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14CrBt … dit?usp=sharing

Fraps, Bandicam and Camtasia,Dxtory have / had XP support.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 765 of 768, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

xjas maybe there could be a Dreamcast VGA round 3?

I recently realized a few useful cases for checking out the blocky bilinear filtering (which is common on PVR1 and PVR3, but hard to find lossless shots of PVR2 but I do believe it's the same as PVR3 for all channels):

- Illbleed. Loads of low res textures in that but even better are bloody scenes that shoot blood textures real close up to the screen so it's an extreme closeup of red texels on an alpha texture (and sometimes brown). Bleeding doors, bloody showers and toilets work best. Also surprisingly, there's not much apparent VQ texture compression involved. Youtube only has composite and emulator captures.
- Quake III Arena. It's a FPS game with a zoom button. There's layered alpha textures around the walls.
- Sonic Adventure. Tails' story starts with a more smokey crash, and walking in pools of water (i.e. the pool, chao garden) can get the camera real close to the water texels. I believe texels lose color some filtering precision when additive blended.
- D2. The big stretched out snow texture should show little texel differences and appear clearly blocky. I think this even showed in old press shots... There's also zoom
- Army Men Sarge's Heroes. It's still literally the texture resolution of the N64 game, so blocks should show easily. Also there's zoom!!

I'd want to focus my next PVR2 shader adventures on the texture filtering, and I did stock up on PVR1-related research material on that at least. Basically i'm looking for these

Attachments

• pvr1luxel.png
    Filename
    pvr1luxel.png
    File size
    9.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by leileilol on 2020-03-20, 00:27. Edited 3 times in total.

by the way, DOSBox is not for running Windows 9x

Reply 766 of 768, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Sure, I can do those! I've been meaning to move my DC out to my gaming/capture area anyway. I'll try to get you some good shots in the next few days.

I also have a Matrox m3D in my K6-2 right next to the capture rig if that helps.

selected builds & megathreads { Quick & Clean | Like a Hipster | Only One 'T' | In a Lunchbox | IT IS THE NINETIES }

Reply 767 of 768, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another thing about DC VGA captures is curiousity about the green and some obvious channel shift/bleed. I've noticed some of this on official Toy Commander screenshots from '99 which had some similar artifacts to your earlier captures! Wonder if different DC models/VGA adapters affect that...

Last edited by leileilol on 2020-03-20, 00:27. Edited 1 time in total.

by the way, DOSBox is not for running Windows 9x

Reply 768 of 768, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been working on trying to capture S-Video output for DOS stuff instead of VGA but I gave up on it after trying with various cards for a couple of weeks. The color and sharpness is just too bad to make any meaningful capture viable 🙁 Time to invest in decent VGA capture gear - back to square 1. *SIGH* 38 pages of VOGONS to read through tonight 🤣

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.