Topic actions

Reply 1040 of 1056, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vvbee wrote on 2020-12-27, 18:59:
bumpnthump05 wrote on 2020-12-27, 17:11:

Yes, I would like maximum sharpness, but in all honesty it wont do me any good due to Twitch's compression and loss due to bitrate. Plus i am going for that nostalgic feel for the users watching. I do have a "NTSC Bleeding" effect filter i can put on my capture via my OBS shaders but i honestly dont like it very much. I think it over does it.
But although i do want quality for screen shots, anybody can see most pixel perfect stuff on YouTube without the effects. I'm not going to be capturing for YouTube but streaming on Twitch, That wouldn't stop me to try and make it better though, but I'm having issues with Vision even opening up. I click both Vision Window & Vision Configure and the processes run in my Task Manager, But nothing pops up to adjust. I've tried other drivers as well. I do know my capture i posted is 800x600 in windows and even my windows capture looks blurry. The only video settings i can adjust are the ones that pop up the dialog box when I click video properties in OBS. I have learned that they DO NOT SAVE. So before i can try and make this any better, I have to figure out how to save my settings, or make it better somehow. Although it would suffice for twitch streaming, the alignment is even slightly off.

Capture2.JPG

Try VCS, it should have better configurability. Although maybe not so good for OBS since it outputs in OpenGL.

I find that using an OSSC as a digitizer and then using a DVI or HDMI capture card like an E1S is quite convenient .

Advantages (for me) are

a) Analogue adjustments are very easy to do using OSSC's on screen display. Doing these on the OSSC is, IMHO, more convenient than doing the equivalent on the E1S capture PC .

b) Using OSSC to feed an HDMI splitter allows the use of a modern monitor with the best possible quality and low latency while capturing at the same time using a capture PC .

Bonus point: using an HDMI/DVI switch before the HDMI/ DVI splitter allows easily switching to using a natively HDMI/DVI equipped card for both play and capture .

Obviously, an OSSC costs additional money, but since I was already using one, it made sense for me to use it's digitized output to feed the E1S digitally .

P.S. I have not gotten to audio capture yet, but the plan is to feed a USB S/PDIF capture card on the capture PC with the output of the VS-880EX that I use as a digital mixer .

Hopefully, I will actually get to use this setup for something other than a proof of concept .

Reply 1041 of 1056, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-12-28, 06:19:
I find that using an OSSC as a digitizer and then using a DVI or HDMI capture card like an E1S is quite convenient . […]
Show full quote
vvbee wrote on 2020-12-27, 18:59:
bumpnthump05 wrote on 2020-12-27, 17:11:

Yes, I would like maximum sharpness, but in all honesty it wont do me any good due to Twitch's compression and loss due to bitrate. Plus i am going for that nostalgic feel for the users watching. I do have a "NTSC Bleeding" effect filter i can put on my capture via my OBS shaders but i honestly dont like it very much. I think it over does it.
But although i do want quality for screen shots, anybody can see most pixel perfect stuff on YouTube without the effects. I'm not going to be capturing for YouTube but streaming on Twitch, That wouldn't stop me to try and make it better though, but I'm having issues with Vision even opening up. I click both Vision Window & Vision Configure and the processes run in my Task Manager, But nothing pops up to adjust. I've tried other drivers as well. I do know my capture i posted is 800x600 in windows and even my windows capture looks blurry. The only video settings i can adjust are the ones that pop up the dialog box when I click video properties in OBS. I have learned that they DO NOT SAVE. So before i can try and make this any better, I have to figure out how to save my settings, or make it better somehow. Although it would suffice for twitch streaming, the alignment is even slightly off.

Capture2.JPG

Try VCS, it should have better configurability. Although maybe not so good for OBS since it outputs in OpenGL.

I find that using an OSSC as a digitizer and then using a DVI or HDMI capture card like an E1S is quite convenient .

Advantages (for me) are

a) Analogue adjustments are very easy to do using OSSC's on screen display. Doing these on the OSSC is, IMHO, more convenient than doing the equivalent on the E1S capture PC .

b) Using OSSC to feed an HDMI splitter allows the use of a modern monitor with the best possible quality and low latency while capturing at the same time using a capture PC .

Bonus point: using an HDMI/DVI switch before the HDMI/ DVI splitter allows easily switching to using a natively HDMI/DVI equipped card for both play and capture .

Obviously, an OSSC costs additional money, but since I was already using one, it made sense for me to use it's digitized output to feed the E1S digitally .

P.S. I have not gotten to audio capture yet, but the plan is to feed a USB S/PDIF capture card on the capture PC with the output of the VS-880EX that I use as a digital mixer .

Hopefully, I will actually get to use this setup for something other than a proof of concept .

If you capture very dynamic sources like DOS games, VCS may end up being easier, since you can configure unlimited pinpoint presets/filters that are automatically applied from then on.

VCS's latency is sub-frame, probably in the ballpark of 3-8 ms, depending on your system and settings. Processing 480p into 1440p nearest neighbor takes like 2 ms on my 2015 CPU, a couple more ms to draw the 1440p to screen in software mode. Processing and drawing a 480p frame without scaling is less than 1 ms. The total capture delay from source to card to screen should be like 1 frame, though I haven't measured.

Reply 1042 of 1056, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can someone recommend me some convertor for component to VGA, or something more modern?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1044 of 1056, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video
I had some cheap component to VGA convertor, it never worked, maybe other cables or boxes are working. I need it primary for also for original Xbox, if it would be easy i guess that there would be available.. Which had component out.. but there are some special cables for 35$ like in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG3aLLiJuXc&a … ernVintageGamer
so some magic is probably needed..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1046 of 1056, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jackhead wrote on 2021-01-20, 17:09:

My combination is a OSSC + Mira Box USB-C (the stick like one). Anything i tryed so far work, down to 320x240 resolution np. Tryed many capture cards but the mira works really good!

What chroma modes does the Mirabox support : RGB24, YUY2, YV12 ?

Reply 1047 of 1056, by lukas12p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
So my order arrived, ordered from China via ebay: https://www.arcaderenovations.com/arcade-cga- … rter-board.html
I do not recommend it. It doesn't pass DOS text mode 70 Hz and even VGA 60 Hz!
It has RGB input so might be useful for some other/older video modes. I have tested only DSUB 15 pin input.
Cheapest AliExpress "VGA Capture HD 1080P" capture 60 Hz.

Reply 1048 of 1056, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone have any experience using the Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K? Does it work well with SD sources (240p etc) and common DOS signals like the regular text mode @70Hz in addition to 'regular' HD input?

It's a toss-up between the Intensity Pro 4k, or the Datapath Vision E1S..... but the Blackmagic support for Linux is far better.

Reply 1049 of 1056, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I connected my DVD player's Component up to a TV that had VGA in and it works fine. It was a fairly cheap converter so apart from making sure I used video cables instead of audio/cinch cables I am not sure of any magic... I had to make some settings on the DVD player and TV though... telling it exactly what signal to send, maybe there was the magic..?

Reply 1050 of 1056, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i recently bought some gear to try to stream retro PC games.

I bought an Elgato HD60 S, a VGA splitter and a VGA to HDMI converter.
Seems to output when in windows, but when i got into DOS it doesnt output . Anyone know why not?

Reply 1051 of 1056, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Law212 wrote on 2021-02-15, 02:22:

So i recently bought some gear to try to stream retro PC games.

I bought an Elgato HD60 S, a VGA splitter and a VGA to HDMI converter.
Seems to output when in windows, but when i got into DOS it doesnt output . Anyone know why not?

DOS VGA text mode is 720x400@70Hz .
In DOS games, the most commonly used VGA graphics mode, the 256 color one, is output as 640x400@70Hz (line doubled 320x200@70Hz) .

Most USB and PCI Express VGA capture cards do not support those 70Hz modes, which makes them unsuitable for use with DOS games and DOS text mode . This is likely the issue with your Elgato HD60 S .

A PCI Express Datapath E1S will work with those 70Hz modes rather easily . A StarTech USB3HDCAP is a USB option that can mostly work but requires jumping through some hoops. See http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2018/02/s … cap-review.html .

Yet another option is an OSSC (standalone VGA digitizer and line doubler) combined with something like a USB Cam Link 4K from Elgato ( owned by Corsair) . See Re: VGA Capture Thread

There are, of course, other options, but you will have to explorer this thread to know more about them .

EDIT: Corrected typo .

Reply 1052 of 1056, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote on 2017-12-17, 21:49:
DOSLIB has small and large memory model builds of VGA240.EXE. […]
Show full quote
SpeedySPCFan wrote:
TheGouldFish wrote:
I got a HD60 recently thinking it would make for a good capture card and I'm had so many issues. It only really supports widescr […]
Show full quote

I got a HD60 recently thinking it would make for a good capture card and I'm had so many issues.
It only really supports widescreen resolutions so it makes it very hard to use, so ended up using a VGA to HDMI upscaler to get most resolutions, but as many before I had the issue with dos and its refresh rates.
Which I have to say thanks for the VGA240 program it worked great and managed to record this using it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHnM21fnZug

I wonder how VGA240 is only taking 24KB of memory in your video? When I ran it, it took 73kb or so which made some memory hogs like Ys 2 Special and Illusion Blaze unplayable.

DOSLIB has small and large memory model builds of VGA240.EXE.

The small memory model dos86s build consumes only 24KB (last time I checked). The large memory model dos86l build consumes 73KB.

Use the small memory model build.

I cant find this file at all. just the .C anyone have a direct link?

Reply 1053 of 1056, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Law212 wrote on 2021-02-16, 02:55:
TheGreatCodeholio wrote on 2017-12-17, 21:49:
DOSLIB has small and large memory model builds of VGA240.EXE. […]
Show full quote
SpeedySPCFan wrote:

I wonder how VGA240 is only taking 24KB of memory in your video? When I ran it, it took 73kb or so which made some memory hogs like Ys 2 Special and Illusion Blaze unplayable.

DOSLIB has small and large memory model builds of VGA240.EXE.

The small memory model dos86s build consumes only 24KB (last time I checked). The large memory model dos86l build consumes 73KB.

Use the small memory model build.

I cant find this file at all. just the .C anyone have a direct link?

You can download the latest one from here https://github.com/joncampbell123/doslib/releases

Reply 1055 of 1056, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Law212 wrote on 2021-02-21, 21:24:

So I used the VGA 240 and it showed DOS in the capture card but when i started a game , it didnt capture. Any suggestions?

Were you able to see the game in the capture card's preview window or were you getting no picture at all ?
I could be completely off base here, but if it is the latter of the two , maybe the game is writing to the VGA CRTC registers and overriding what VGA240 is doing . Could you try some different games ?

Reply 1056 of 1056, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-02-21, 21:31:
Law212 wrote on 2021-02-21, 21:24:

So I used the VGA 240 and it showed DOS in the capture card but when i started a game , it didnt capture. Any suggestions?

Were you able to see the game in the capture card's preview window or were you getting no picture at all ?
I could be completely off base here, but if it is the latter of the two , maybe the game is writing to the VGA CRTC registers and overriding what VGA240 is doing . Could you try some different games ?

I tried a couple others games and it worked fine. I played Megarace and Microcosm and it captured just fine. Thanks