Topic actions

Reply 80 of 1396, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

I typically use VirtualDub.

I haven't been able to get the Avermedia card to work in VirtualDub. Could be me that is doing something wrong though (but my Hauppauge analog TV card works fine)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 81 of 1396, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm I Can't remember which pinball game it was 😀

Pretty sure it was Fantasies through as I didn't have to crop the video, just resize. Whereas with 320 x 200 footage I need to crop.

I kinda got something going with VirtualDub, but there was no codec for it to use. To me it's such a vintage software. I used it under XP and with DivX but have moved on to other products.

I also don't think that the capture software can really change things. In the end it's the chip on the cards that does how it does things.

For the money I think you can't fault it. It's more versatile than other, digital only products, and through HDMI it's a set-and-forget solution. Doesn't matter what resolution, BIOS, different PC, plug in, plug out. You get one stretched 16:9 video, resize it to 4:3 BAM and you are done. Like eating pancakes 😀

I have a huge Pinball Dreams Deluxe (GOG.com) DOSBox / MS-DOS installation- and tweak guide video being uploaded. It was very easy to create with HDMI.

VGA on the other hand is great for 320 x 200 games once you are in the game. Games that change resolutions are a pain though.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 82 of 1396, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really like with Virtualdub that I can setup every parameter, codecs, add filters, use Avisynth etc.
I have the whole statistics about dropped / inserted frames and reached capture framerate. I always found this depth is lacking with other programs.

If you use a digital out with DOS games it will default to 60 Hz on the graphics card which is not the usual 720x400 70 Hz DOS mode and some games run at the wrong speed then. I also don't resize the videos, I just set the correct aspect ratio. This keeps the source pixel resolution intact.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 83 of 1396, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

I really like with Virtualdub that I can setup every parameter, codecs, add filters, use Avisynth etc.
I have the whole statistics about dropped / inserted frames and reached capture framerate. I always found this depth is lacking with other programs.

Are you talking about the Avermedia card or your Ephihan card working in VirtualDub?

elianda wrote:

If you use a digital out with DOS games it will default to 60 Hz on the graphics card which is not the usual 720x400 70 Hz DOS mode and some games run at the wrong speed then. I also don't resize the videos, I just set the correct aspect ratio. This keeps the source pixel resolution intact.

In VLC you can set the capture rate to 70FPS if you so desire btw. Also in 320x200 videos there is no correct aspect ratio setting that can be used properly on the Avermedia. It will display the image in 1.6:1 aspect ratio and not stretch the image to 4:3 like a regular VGA monitor does. The bottom 40 pixels (80 since it's upscanned to 640x480) is just black and needs to cropped away. With HDMI you don't need to do any cropping, as you get a stretched 4:3 320x200 image. (http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.no/search?q=aspect+ratio)

Reply 84 of 1396, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Elinda I do know that DVI captures at 60 Hz 😀

Fancy doing a video tutorial on VDub? So far I haven't been able to get anywhere with it...

Whenever I research these video stuff I end up in some deadend after having shot my machine to pieces with codec packs 😵

My YouTube channel

Reply 85 of 1396, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
elianda wrote:

Are you talking about the Avermedia card or your Ephihan card working in VirtualDub?

Both worked for me in Virtualdub. My upper statement is more a capture program comparison than specific to a certain capture card.
It may be that I had to run the Media Center application that came with the Avermedia before once to get it working in VirtualDub.

elianda wrote:

In VLC you can set the capture rate to 70FPS if you so desire btw. Also in 320x200 videos there is no correct aspect ratio setting that can be used properly on the Avermedia. It will display the image in 1.6:1 aspect ratio and not stretch the image to 4:3 like a regular VGA monitor does. The bottom 40 pixels (80 since it's upscanned to 640x480) is just black and needs to cropped away. With HDMI you don't need to do any cropping, as you get a stretched 4:3 320x200 image. (http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.no/search?q=aspect+ratio)

It may be that you have to crop to the effective signal area for low res modes on the Avermedia, I didn't tested this. However you usually know that the output should be e.g. 4:3, so you can set the correct aspect in the video container instead of resizing all frames.
For the capture rate I take usually the input rate the driver gives than setting a certain value. Usually analog VGA is not as exact such it will never hit exactly 70 fps. So if you force a different rate you will have sometimes dropped/inserted frames.
In certain situations this can be very problematic, e.g. if I capture material for ELSA Revelator shutter glasses, since one frame difference would swap left and right eye. So I usually go with a 1:1 frame rate. If you really want to hit exactly 60 or 70 fps, then it is more convenient to adjust the small offset later. If the sound is 0.1% slower, no one will notice.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 87 of 1396, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Well, I got the BroadcasterHD card, and it works fine under Windows 95 and stuff at a known resolution setting, but pure DOS... it just says out of range for me.

Yes it needs a higher resolution image to "get going". I usually run PCPBENCH 101.

Hit record and then you quit. The image will look weird so you will have to crop and resize it.

My YouTube channel

Reply 88 of 1396, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Well, I got the BroadcasterHD card, and it works fine under Windows 95 and stuff at a known resolution setting, but pure DOS... it just says out of range for me.

Yes it needs a higher resolution image to "get going". I usually run PCPBENCH 101.

Hit record and then you quit. The image will look weird so you will have to crop and resize it.

I never had it in record mode, but when I had exited from Windows 3.1 once, and it went into does where it was just... well...

Here's an example...
errrr.jpg

Reply 90 of 1396, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If using Svideo/composite try to use a desktop resolution of 720x480 (if you can) and turn off flicker reduction and just use the Yadif deinterlacer for videos. It's what i've done for my own. With some chipsets (3dfx) it can get really sharp.

(Also who makes a shortcut to Day of the Tentacle and not use the rather excellent provided icon!?!)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 91 of 1396, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

If using Svideo/composite try to use a desktop resolution of 720x480 (if you can) and turn off flicker reduction and just use the Yadif deinterlacer for videos. It's what i've done for my own. With some chipsets (3dfx) it can get really sharp.

(Also who makes a shortcut to Day of the Tentacle and not use the rather excellent provided icon!?!)

I'll try that out! 😀

There's an icon provided? 😮

I also don't really plat Day of the Tentacle on this machine, there's an odd audio issue I get, with the SoundBlaster 16 under windows with the game. 🙁

Reply 92 of 1396, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made some Video from my #9 GXiTC in Windows for Workgroups 3.11:
ftp://78.46.141.148/videos/tiga/win311_benche … w_afterdark.mkv
The 386 system is upgraded with a Ti486DLC-40. What you see is a ISA graphics card using the Texas Instruments Graphics Architecture to run 1280x1024 at 16 bit color depth. TIGA was introduced in 1992 and enabled for the first time TruColor graphics on PC. The card is equipped with 4 MB framebuffer, one graphics processor with 1 MB instruction RAM. The card itself supports two graphics processors, but I am not even sure if the Win3.1 driver would support it too. I do not use the Acumos2 VGA that is on the board itself, but plugged another ET4000. This is what you see in the BIOS. It is connected with an internal VESA feature connector cable. The TIGA card is meant to be used in a multi monitor setup. This means by default all ET4000 modes, as e.g. fullscreen textmode is routed to the second VGA output of the card in WfW 3.11.
Might be a bit lengthy at some scenes, but I tried to capture the real speed of the system, quite impressive for 1992 tech.
Shown is
Winbench99
Wintach 1.0
a bit Photoshop 4 action, with MOD4WIN playing in background. Note that I have the scratch disk set on a network share and network transfer pauses the playback timer. (cooperative MT)
In the end some Afterdark screensaver effects, one breaks the playback of MOD4WIN.

VLC is able to stream and seek from a ftp resource.

Youtube Channel

Reply 93 of 1396, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

I made some Video from my #9 GXiTC in Windows for Workgroups 3.11:

Very nice! The quality of that capture is just nuts.

Amazing what a 386 can do and how similar the software is from back then 😀

My first 3DFX capture. What's on the screen is good, but a portion is not visible at the top. Tried all sorts of settings, but it doesn't "auto adjust" like the LCD when you press the button at the front.

Screamer 2 / Bleifuss 2 (GOG.com Version) on a Pentium MMX 233 Diamond Monster 3D II (3DFX Voodoo2)

My YouTube channel

Reply 94 of 1396, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That game looks pretty neat there. 😀

I got a VGA to S-VIDEO converter, and converted S-VIDEO to Component through my Pioneer AV Receiver to my capture device, and for grins and giggles, tried Rayman 2 on my 486DX4. 🤣

Using the Voodoo 2 3DFX card. Trying to see how the game would perform or to see if it'd even run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv1B0tYc-Oo

Reply 95 of 1396, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ReeseRiverson wrote:

I got a VGA to S-VIDEO converter, and converted S-VIDEO to Component through my Pioneer AV Receiver to my capture device, and for grins and giggles, tried Rayman 2 on my 486DX4. 🤣

May I ask why you are doing it so complicated? Don't you have a VGA capture card in another thread?

Reply 97 of 1396, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

My first 3DFX capture. What's on the screen is good, but a portion is not visible at the top. Tried all sorts of settings, but it doesn't "auto adjust" like the LCD when you press the button at the front.

Same problem on my Creative Voodoo2. I think the problem can be solved either by using Voodoo 1 (little possibility) or using Voodoo3. Voodoo3 is my favorite capture card for Glide stuff, and it works in most DOS glide games as well (including this game). It centers perfectly in all resolutions.

Reply 98 of 1396, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:
ReeseRiverson wrote:

May I ask why you are doing it so complicated? Don't you have a VGA capture card in another thread?

Mainly because my Broadcaster HD really seems to hate the default DOS/BIOS resolution and it doesn't display the 3DFX logo properly. 🙁

Maybe it's a driver version issue? Some of you guys seem to have better luck with this card than me. 🤣

Reply 99 of 1396, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ReeseRiverson wrote:

With S-Video, hands down the best quality capture is straight off video cards with S-Video out. Don't use splitters and not even clone mode. Just work on the preview image of the capture software.

But I wonder, you do have an AVerMedia now as well or do you send it back?

Easiest way to do captures with the AVerMedia is through DVI > HDMI. The image is very very good and what I use for all my videos now. Apart from stuff on the 386 or 3DFX for example.

@ Vetz Haven't god a Voodoo 3 but might get one! Anything to look out for? Different versions / clocks / memory?

ReeseRiverson wrote:

Mainly because my Broadcaster HD really seems to hate the default DOS/BIOS resolution and it doesn't display the 3DFX logo properly. 🙁

Maybe it's a driver version issue? Some of you guys seem to have better luck with this card than me. 🤣

Just saw your post 🤣

When I boot up on my 386 I never get an image. The card doesn't sync at all on most cards. Some machines / cards output a different DOS font and they sync. Like on my Tualatin system.

So what I do is run something in 640 x 480 resolution. You get an image and then when you quit the image is still there, but looks a bit squished. You will need to crop it in your Video editor.

I use Recentral for recording!

My YouTube channel