VOGONS

VGA Capture Thread

Topic actions

Reply 340 of 1395, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You want to correct the aspect ratio though. Believe it or not, most of the online footage is in the wrong aspect ratio 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 341 of 1395, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These days I use an SC-512N1-L/DVI and an XPC-4. Not cheap, but the simplest combination for what I do. X68000 games use rather exotic resolutions like 768x512 at 31khz. Some games even switch between 31khz and 15khz on the fly (31 for menu, 15 for gameplay). And the XPC handles it beautifully.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 342 of 1395, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

You want to correct the aspect ratio though. Believe it or not, most of the online footage is in the wrong aspect ratio 😀

Yes, most of the old stuff is 4:3 display aspect ratio. Just taking the pixel resolution and assuming the pixels are quadratic is wrong.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 343 of 1395, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just bought an AverMedia Live Gamer HD Lite and a component/VGA to HDMI converter to go with it.
I connected everything as supposed to be: HDMI IN in the capture card to HDMI OUT on the converter and VGA IN in the converter to the VGA port on the PC I'm testing this on.
I then fired up RECentral and I get a blank preview, I can only hear sounds when I connect a component console on the converter, I can't even access the converter's menu, pure blank screen but with all the info detected.
B4plREqUQAOKIk8D6rfT5g.png

Seeing that my capture card also has an HDMI OUT for video passthru, I connected one of my main computer's monitors on it and I can see everything, I get the video output of the converter and I can see any console or retro PC I connect to it and even the converter's menu !!!

The problem remains though, since I still get a blank preview on the software and when I record it records either a 1 kb .ts video file or a blank .mp4 file.
I don't even UNDERSTAND HOW this issue is even actually possible !!! I MEAN... the HDMI IN should have a priority on the passthru, why the heck does the converter bypass it and only shows in the HDMI OUT ?
How do I capture videos ? When I connected my PS3 with direct HDMI on the capture card, it worked perfectly (only problem I couldn't record due to HDCP, I need an HDMI splitter to fix that... or get this converter to work as it should and use component).
Please help, I don't understand what's going on there !!!

EDIT: People down at Reddit say that it MIGHT be HDCP related, but I think it's not, because my PS3 has HDCP for real, but I can see and even play on my PC through this capture card and its software just fine, I just can't record with the software (but I can record with Shadowplay... it drops some FPS due to the double encoding, I guess, but it kinda makes the job done...), while with this converter I see NOTHING on the preview screen, but I can see everything perfectly fine (and even hear audio) when I plug my monitor in HDMI OUT on the capture card... but stil get a black preview and doesn't record anything.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 344 of 1395, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, booting up my computer with both the VGA (via a DVI adapter) to my NEC CRT and a DVI-D cable from the second output to my capture card, I am able to get output to my main PC. However, the reported resolution and refresh are all wrong. my PEXHDCAP reports DOS running at 1376x768 resolution with 60Hz refresh. Is this common for DOS when output via DVI?

Reply 345 of 1395, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It simply depends on the graphics card how it converts the signal for DVI.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 346 of 1395, by Tree Wyrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NightSprinter wrote:

So, booting up my computer with both the VGA (via a DVI adapter) to my NEC CRT and a DVI-D cable from the second output to my capture card, I am able to get output to my main PC. However, the reported resolution and refresh are all wrong. my PEXHDCAP reports DOS running at 1376x768 resolution with 60Hz refresh. Is this common for DOS when output via DVI?

In this setup your graphics card acts as scaler for digital output. And yes that's pretty common behavior. What happens here is that typically graphics card will scale original image to the closest or "native" supported resolution that your capture cards reports back to graphics adapter via EDID (capture card pretends to be a display) as opposed to sending signal in original resolution. Some capture cards allow you to customize EDID information that'll be sent to graphics adapter.

Reply 347 of 1395, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We had this discussion in dosforum and here are some very interesting details: http://www.dosforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11 … lit=edid#p81126
(I know it is in german, but google translate...)

Youtube Channel

Reply 348 of 1395, by 33oldnew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

My new/old layout:
Video:
VGA card -> VGA cable (standard M/M) -> VGA adapter F/F -> Gefen scaler VGA to HDMI ->
-> HDMI cable -> HDMI Splitter 1X2 -> HDMI cable -> Startech Capture Device -> USB 3.0 PC
Audio:
Sound card -> Jack/Cinch male cable -> Startech cable -> Startech Capture Device -> USB 3.0 PC

Gefen scaler EXT-VGAAUD-2-HDMIS
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-vgaaud-2-hdmis.jsp?prod_id=8915
Startech Capture USB3HDCAP
https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/ … i-vga~USB3HDCAP

An example in my video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9hBhSoks4

Quality on YouTube is lower than saved on disk, automatic YouTube conversion.

Attachments

• EXT-VGAAUD-2-HDMIS conn.jpg
    Filename
    EXT-VGAAUD-2-HDMIS conn.jpg
    File size
    3.26 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Gefen scaler with VGA adapter
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 349 of 1395, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Text mode seems slightly shifted.

Youtube Channel

Reply 351 of 1395, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone got pci passthrough working for a pci capture card in virtualbox on linux host/windows guest? Through versions 5.1.18 and 5.1.24 of vb, I get my visionrgb-pro recognized by its drivers but it won't receive video, just a blank window. I suspect there may be a setting that has it working.

Been using libvirt/kvm/spice for some months, and it works, but has inadequate performance for 60 fps capture + scaling.

Reply 352 of 1395, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My VGA capture setup is super-stupid-cheap.

It's a $10.00 A/V capture block that uses a old flip-phone USB cable to work, and then I have a VGA to Composite converter I got from a trash bin to convert my VGA boxes to composite for the converter. For now I'm using Bandicam Software.

Here's the Youtube Channel Trailer I created using that device
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBWt8UJc4gU

Kind of a shame I don't have a lot of time to upload anything though. Been kind of busy and computers are usually a fall/winter thing for me usually, maybe early spring if it's colder like it was this year.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 354 of 1395, by Tree Wyrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alpakka31 wrote:

Is the AV.io compatible for DOS resolutions?
I can't find any information about that.

Apparently not. I had asked Epiphan support about that a while ago and this was the answer:

"The AV.io HD wouldn't be able to capture from your example resolution of 320x200 unfortunately. The lowest VGA signal resolution it can capture from is 640x480."

Reply 355 of 1395, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tree Wyrm wrote:
Alpakka31 wrote:

Is the AV.io compatible for DOS resolutions?
I can't find any information about that.

Apparently not. I had asked Epiphan support about that a while ago and this was the answer:

"The AV.io HD wouldn't be able to capture from your example resolution of 320x200 unfortunately. The lowest VGA signal resolution it can capture from is 640x480."

I'd press them on that to make sure they aren't just pulling numbers off of a spec sheet that wouldn't bother to list dos resolutions.

Reply 356 of 1395, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Epiphan DVI2PCIe can capture 15khz 240p signals even though its not on the spec sheet. Technically 320x200 is really 720x400@70Hz, the actual content is line doubled.

Reply 357 of 1395, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Curious: how does the DVI2PCIe handle games that switch refresh rates? The two big DOS titles I know that do so are Epic Pinball and Jazz Jackrabbit. I alao tried to get in touch with Modern Vintage Gamer about the Micomsoft SC512 regarding that, but never got a response.

Reply 358 of 1395, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A different refresh rate is a different mode:
e.g. from 640x480 60 Hz to 640x480 56 Hz it changes the mode to the new timing. So if you go for 640x480 60 fps with your capture software when changing to 56 Hz you may have to set it to inserting frames. I usually set in virtual dub to insert null frames (i.e. frame doubling), which would be four null frames in a second for 60 -> 56 Hz.
If the resolution changes one has to scale. The Epiphan driver has the option to do the scaling in the driver already. So you can set the driver to deliver always e.g. 1024x768 to DirectShow programs. Then every input resolution gets scaled to 1024 before the capture software gets the image stream.

Optimal would be a capture solution that supports variable frame rate and resolution. The Epiphan driver actually brings a directshow extension with its driver where one could read back resolution/frame rate changes. I don't know of any capture software that supports it though.

Youtube Channel

Reply 359 of 1395, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, that's pretty useful. Probably beyond what the PEXHDCAP60l and SC512N1-DVI/L can do (though as mentioned before, someone did show that particular model CAN handle DOS input, but still skeptical about it working right on driver revisions beyond 140).