VOGONS

VGA Capture Thread

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 1395, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That Dark Crystal looks just like the Broadcaster HD. Maybe different software?

C2rw2JDh.jpg

qHzekF6h.jpg

Mc2X8n8h.jpg

NJFh6JSh.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 62 of 1395, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The VGA2PCIe successor card captures: ftp://78.46.141.148/videos/DVI_Capture/

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 63 of 1395, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

The VGA2PCIe successor card captures: ftp://78.46.141.148/videos/DVI_Capture/

You bought the succesor as well 😲

The specs look amazing. 4x PCIe as well...

My YouTube channel

Reply 64 of 1395, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok I'm off to bed. The video is uploading and should finish in 2 hours or so:

New Capture Device: Wing Commander II

Not wanting to brag but I believe this video is pretty much as good as its going to get with this AVerMedia card. I still have to try capturing at 60fps and seeing if this makes the scrolling a bit smoother.

My YouTube channel

Reply 66 of 1395, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just want to add that the Avermedia card have some quirks which I have elaborated in previous posts (and Mau1wurf can as well). It is not a "perfect" card for vintage computer capturing, but there are no "perfect" affordable solution as they are made for another marked. The stuff me and Mau1wurf have been doing with the Avermedia is exploring unsupported features with the card.

Anyway, the other Startech card have gotten good reviews with capturing older 240p console stuff. Check links:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16815158317
http://www.videogameperfection.com/av-gear/st … re-card-review/

I don't know of anyone that uses it for VGA capture, so if anyone would buy it and report back their experiences that would be awesome.When I bought my Avermedia there were basically no information what soever online regarding VGA below 640x480 and what cards/software to use. I dunno if it's the best buy.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 68 of 1395, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Not wanting to brag but I believe this video is pretty much as good as its going to get with this AVerMedia card. I still have to try capturing at 60fps and seeing if this makes the scrolling a bit smoother.

To judge the quality it is probably not suitable to upload it at youtube. Compared to current state-of-the-art video quality vs. stream bandwidth youtube seems to fall back. At least I hope that they saved the original uploads, so when it comes to better quality encodes they could reencode already uploaded content. But who knows when such thing will happen...

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 69 of 1395, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well YT is what people will watch, so to me that is what matters most 😀

You can download the videos from your own channel, I believe the format of those files is it. Meaning that is as good as it gets in terms of how YT stores it.

And if technology changes, like TVs that sync to video: Hey a reason to get new capture gear and make new videos 🤣

My YouTube channel

Reply 70 of 1395, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stefan_L wrote:

The Startech card (and SC-500N1) can only capture between 50hz and 60hz... so most DOS stuff don't work as it is 70hz.

Do you own one and can confirm this?

Reply 71 of 1395, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pinball Fantasies / Mania (GOG.com version) on a 386DX-40 with Sound Blaster Pro 2 and TSENG ET4000 captured through VGA with the AVerMedia.

I'm not sure why the software has a setting for interlacing seeing that the signals are all progressive. The setting matters though, with weave (and another one) giving the best results for scrolling. This game is a bit annoying as it switches resolutions. So plenty of resizing one has to do 😁

Although this game refreshes at 60Hz, the AverMedia doesn't seem to be able to get a smooth 60 fps capture. After converting to 29.97.. fps there is nothing left of the smooth scrolling that you get on a 386 PC 🤣

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJZ3wJ4dGCE

My YouTube channel

Reply 72 of 1395, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

Do you own one and can confirm this?

I have a SC-500n1 and i have never been able to capture anything above 60hz.
For example the intro (pics) of Pinball Fantasies do not work as it is 70hz but the main menu and in game works fine as it is 60hz.

Reply 73 of 1395, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh well that rules out that card then 😐

My YouTube channel

Reply 74 of 1395, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Pinball Fantasies / Mania (GOG.com version) on a 386DX-40 with Sound Blaster Pro 2 and TSENG ET4000 captured through VGA with th […]
Show full quote

Pinball Fantasies / Mania (GOG.com version) on a 386DX-40 with Sound Blaster Pro 2 and TSENG ET4000 captured through VGA with the AVerMedia.

I'm not sure why the software has a setting for interlacing seeing that the signals are all progressive. The setting matters though, with weave (and another one) giving the best results for scrolling. This game is a bit annoying as it switches resolutions. So plenty of resizing one has to do 😁

Although this game refreshes at 60Hz, the AverMedia doesn't seem to be able to get a smooth 60 fps capture. After converting to 29.97.. fps there is nothing left of the smooth scrolling that you get on a 386 PC 🤣

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJZ3wJ4dGCE

You are using Recentral software right? I had problems capturing at 60fps with that software. The other Avermedia software and other programs captures 60fps just fine. The progressive settings is something only found in Recentral.

Also it is too bad Youtube does not support 60 FPS uploads 🙁 I'm sure it'll come though in the future and all my raw files are rendered in 60FPS before upload.

Reply 75 of 1395, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yyp I use Recentral. It captures in 60 fps, just little micro stutters. Nothing mayor to be honest.

What other Avermedia software are you referring to?

EDIT: Found that Media Centre Software. Will have a go...

Apart from VLC, is there anything to capture VGA, that doesn't create new files when I shut down the machine and swap cards for example?

I tried PowerDirector, was a no go. PowerDirector is my video editing software. This where I aspect correct the clips, boost the audio, add titles and all of that.

Haven't played much with VLC. I could open a stream, but couldn't figure out how to change from VGA to DVI.

My YouTube channel

Reply 76 of 1395, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Haven't played much with VLC. I could open a stream, but couldn't figure out how to change from VGA to DVI.

When you hook off the "device settings" before loading up the capture stream you get loads of popup messages. Here you can change the resolution and framerate. One windows lets you change from RGB video input (VGA) to Serial Digital Input (DVI).

Avermedia Media Center uses MPEG2 for capture, which is a bit easier on your CPU than x264.

There are also other software mentioned here (VideoKepper and AmaRec):
http://www.videogameperfection.com/av-gear/st … pture-software/

I haven't tested them.

Reply 77 of 1395, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey nice links. Will for sure check them out.

My YouTube channel

Reply 78 of 1395, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I typically use VirtualDub.
Also Pinball Fantasies uses 70 Hz, not 60 Hz. This may explain the stutters you see.
Also if your card really does 60 Hz only it may be that the game itself runs only 6/7 of the regular speed i.e. too slow.

Youtube Channel

Reply 79 of 1395, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well through VGA the monitor tells me it's a 60Hz signal and it's butter smooth.

But it's not the only game I used to test. Wing Commander III was the other one. It has a nice scrolling credits when you die. A god test for capture cards 😀

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2014-01-14, 11:12. Edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel