Reply 20 of 27, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:
Some interesting information there! Thanks! […]
Show full quote

Some interesting information there! Thanks!

Coming to SLI, :

Ok, let's say we do have 2 Voodoo2s already in our possession. Like most of here, I suppose. If that's the case, is there anything stopping the use of Voodoo2 SLIs in a socket 7 based system? Are there any detrimental effects, or will the smoothness be the same with a Voodoo1 in these systems?

And for the Voodoo2 12MB in SLI (Total 24MB), will the stuttering be an issue here? Or will the coupled memory compensate that?

No worries - V2 will work flawlessly with K6-based machine, or P1 MMX. The only game I noticed stuttering was Halflife 1 - it happens whenever a new area is entered. Otherwise no stuttering at all.

Reply 21 of 27, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

voodoo6m.png

I would say there is no point in 6MB Voodoo Graphics until 1999. Voodoo 2 8 MB should be fine until 2000 and 12 MB is a similar overkill.

Once upon a time I upgraded my Winchip 200 system from 2d to Voodoo3 3000 PCI and it was great improvement even on that Pentium 100-like CPU.

Reply 22 of 27, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I say always avoid 8MB V2. It has the same amount of texture memory as Voodoo1 4MB.

Here are some details for Quake2 on why 4MB texture memory is a plus:
http://www.team5150.com/~andrew/carmack/johnc … .html#d19980216

Reply 23 of 27, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just got my Soyo motherboard. I have put in a S3 Virge and 2 Voodoo2 12MB SLI. CPU is Pentium 200 MMX. RAM - 384MB PC100 SDRAM. Will do some benchmarks soon. What games do you guys suggest for testing (so that we can compare with available data)? Currently installed MS-DOS 6.22. Will install Win95c in it soon.

Last edited by Malik on 2012-01-29, 02:39. Edited 1 time in total.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 25 of 27, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are right Swaaye, I forgot they have it divided per tmu. If it has to duplicate everything then Voodoo2 is not very forward looking.

leileilol wrote:

Doesn't the Voodoo2 be capable of more buffering the Voodoo1 can't do?

At 800x600 yes.

Reply 26 of 27, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

What games do you guys suggest for testing (so that we can compare with available data)? Currently installed MS-DOS 6.22. Will install Win95c in it soon.

Quake 2 and Turok. MDK2 has a nice benchmark but not sure if your system can pull it off.

Reply 27 of 27, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back when I was running a Pentium MMX @ 200, playing Unreal with a Voodoo2 12mb was very choppy, while running a pair of V2's in SLI made the game very playable. It wasn't your typical 2x speed boost, more like 4x boost if running Unreal with a low end CPU. May have been a driver or DirectX issue at the time.