best windows 98 agp card

Discussion about old graphics cards, monitors and video related things.

Re: best windows 98 agp card

Postby Der Kuenringer » 2018-11-29 @ 02:36

Fair enough, I will probably end up with the Geforce 4 anyway. But still, is there any benefit to having 8-bit palletized textures & table fog, if I already run a late voodoo as a secondary card? The only game in my timeframe that I could see profiting from it would be Thief II. Or am I missing something here?
Der Kuenringer

Postby KT7AGuy » 2018-11-29 @ 03:09

If you've got a Voodoo as a secondary card, then I wouldn't worry about it. Thief games, FF7, and European Air War are some of the titles that use 8-bit palletized textures & table fog.
KT7AGuy
Oldbie

Postby schmatzler » 2018-11-29 @ 15:16

Der Kuenringer wrote:Hm, well maybe I should specify then. I would be happy if the card is able to play late space sim games, like Freespace Open, Independence War 2 & Freelancer at 1600x1200.

I can confirm that at least I-War 2 runs very well on 1680x1050 with a GF4 4800.

Don't know about the other games, though.
schmatzler

Postby ruthan » 2018-11-29 @ 16:25

Der Kuenringer wrote:Yes, the Voodoo is PCI. I hadn't considered ATi cards yet, mainly because of the warnings about compatibility. Would the Radeon 9000 series also be a good option? Another requirement for the card: i want it to be single slot, so in that respect ATi cards would likely compare favorably to Nvidias high end offerings.
Thanks for the suggestions!
And btw, as for 256mb vram, am I likely to run into problems with this?

Radeon 9xxx line is quite slow, im not really sure, if it would be upgrade which you want. There is lots of half dead Radeon Xxxx... cards which sometimes boot and something dont and have some dead memory chips => artefacts.. Its also first PCI-E generation, so even with AGP bridge, so there are a bit pre-destinated to be problematic, but there are just working in most cases.
With X line, X300 and x600 are just some modified 9xxx line, real deal is only X8xx single.. there are variants with single slot cooler - but it could be problem to find fan with decent sound profile.. lesser modes have quite reasonable TDP.. but prefer more silence than performance, or you can change cooler. There are some variant with 1 slots cooler at the bottom of card and 1 slots heatsink above.
Some my experience are X8xx much more compatible in DOS, probably because of ATI history from 1986 or something like that.. than any Nvidia cards (1995+).. and there working fine with fast systems.. they can really benefic from faster cpu.. Im using even some Radeon 3850 AGP (XP+) plus on Core 2 MBs and there are fine.

Update: 256 MB is fine, problem is with Nvidia 512 MB cards and there is some paid rLoew patch for it, which modifies cards bios.. I not sure if other 512 MB cards are affected too, probably not.
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough HW.
ruthan
Oldbie

Location: Schwarz Wald-from France to Ukraine, from Denmark to Austria. Celts+German+Slavs melting pot.

Postby Der Kuenringer » 2018-11-30 @ 13:03

Oh well, I just realized I can't actually use a Geforce 6800 or an ATi x800 :lol:
They are all 1.5v keyed, and I need a 3.3v compatible agp card. Seems like I'm reaching the end of the rope with a 5900/5950 or 9800 pro.
Der Kuenringer

Previous

Return to Video