VOGONS

Reply 300 of 658, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps I'll have to go for an AGP Card as main card because I need one more PCI Slot.
Therefore I think I will go for a savage2000 or a VirgeGX2. What do you think is the better choice?

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 301 of 658, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

Perhaps I'll have to go for an AGP Card as main card because I need one more PCI Slot.
Therefore I think I will go for a savage2000 or a VirgeGX2. What do you think is the better choice?

A Savage2000 is a bit more powerful in Direct3D and offers higher resolutions in Windows (more RAM), but you'll get no S3D support. In DOS they are about equal in both speed and compatibility. Up to you what your goal is with the system.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 302 of 658, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, thx, I am not sure about S3D because of this: http://vintage3d.org/virge.php#sthash.DkfFhSu7.sCcEZXap.dpbs
But I think I will have to test it by myself. What is the latest Card that offers S3D compatibility?

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 303 of 658, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

Ok, thx, I am not sure about S3D because of this: http://vintage3d.org/virge.php#sthash.DkfFhSu7.sCcEZXap.dpbs
But I think I will have to test it by myself. What is the latest Card that offers S3D compatibility?

That would be the GX2 😀

That page you linked to focus mostly on the Direct3D capability. The S3D games that is worth playing/getting is Havoc and Destruction Derby

Reply 306 of 658, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Exhaustive list of MANTLE games:

Battlefield 4

🤣 🤣 🤣

On a more serious note, I think there's also Dragon Age Inquisition, Thief (the terrible reboot), Battlefield Hardline(?) and maybe a few tech demos?

Reply 308 of 658, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:
Is it possible to use this three cards in one machine? […]
Show full quote

Is it possible to use this three cards in one machine?

- S3Virge (Main Gfx-Card)
- PCX2 PowerVR
- Voodoo1 or 2 (not both)

Doc

Wasn't there a thread about using a Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 at the same time?

vetz wrote:

If you had a switchbox and an AGP motherboard (allows you to select main VGA card in DOS between PCI and AGP), this would probably be the largest API setup possible:

Or a monitor with two inputs.

vetz wrote:

That page you linked to focus mostly on the Direct3D capability. The S3D games that is worth playing/getting is Havoc and Destruction Derby

I like Terminal Velocity, but that may be nostalgia.

Reply 309 of 658, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the main list the Matrox Impression should actually be Impression Plus. Matrox's names are a bit confusing. While the Ultima and Ultima Plus differ only in the amount of memory on the card, the Impression and Impression Plus have totally different chips. There's still the question of how the Impression Lite supports these games. It accelerates only wireframes, but the advertisments mention the inclusion of the 3D-SuperPack in both Plus and Lite variants.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 310 of 658, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GL1zdA wrote:

In the main list the Matrox Impression should actually be Impression Plus. Matrox's names are a bit confusing. While the Ultima and Ultima Plus differ only in the amount of memory on the card, the Impression and Impression Plus have totally different chips. And the Impression Lite won't probably also work for these games, because it only accelerates wireframes.

You're right, fixed 😀

Reply 311 of 658, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:

It accelerates only wireframes, but the advertisments mention the inclusion of the 3D-SuperPack in both Plus and Lite variants.

it does more than wireframes, basic feature set is same for all the Matrox chips(ets) of that generation.

Reply 312 of 658, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Star Divers:

AGP bus video board enablement update program

Filename
agp.exe
File size
120.73 KiB
Downloads
154 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PowerVR (PCX1) dedicated update program

Filename
sdspcx1.exe
File size
101.29 KiB
Downloads
161 downloads
File license

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 313 of 658, by Tweakstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I found a "new" RRedline Game: Die by the Sword (base game as well as the Limb by Limb expansion).
It offers me "Rendition" Acceleration and there is a RLVERITE.dll file in the gamedirectoy.

Attachments

• sword.png
    Filename
    sword.png
    File size
    9.45 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    3D Setup Die by the Sword
    File license

Reply 314 of 658, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice find!

I also see Rendition mentioned in this press release:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/inter … l-76740782.html

Seems a bit strange that this game has been missed previously, but have you also tested the game on the Verite?

Reply 316 of 658, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tweakstone wrote:

Yep, works perfectly 😀
Tested with a hercules Thriller 3D 4MB AGP and latest Hercules Win9x drivers.

I also tested it myself, will add it to the list 😀

Reply 317 of 658, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
If you had a switchbox and an AGP motherboard (allows you to select main VGA card in DOS between PCI and AGP), this would probab […]
Show full quote

If you had a switchbox and an AGP motherboard (allows you to select main VGA card in DOS between PCI and AGP), this would probably be the largest API setup possible:

-Windows/DOS: S3 Virge GX2 AGP (S3D, Direct3D) OR ATI Rage 3D PRO AGP (ATICIF, Direct3D)
-Windows/DOS: Creative 3D Blaster PCI (CGL, RRedline, Speedy3D, Direct3D)
-Voodoo 1 or Voodoo 2 (Glide, Direct3D)
-PCX2 PowerVR (PowerSGL, Direct 3D)
-Paradise Tasmania 3D

The S3 Virge has some better compatibility for early DOS games than the ATI Rage, but the ATI Rage have more kickass games with ATICIF exclusive Wipeout and Assault Rigs.

You meant in the BIOS, didn't you? Or is there DOS-based utility that allows you to switch between PCI and AGP without having to go to the BIOS?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 319 of 658, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice topic:
I discovered for me Panzer Dragon and Rebel Moon, these two games interested to me =)

Questions:
Did any of those API is wrapped? Interested especially in NV1 and 3d blaster for games above.

I am wondering did they all belong to OpenGL 1.1 cut version like 3dfx? or they have unique own API?

If they have own developed API. It might be some video cards capable to do effects or special things that is not possible on modern cards, like some missed knowleadges. Did these all discontinued? Did all dev studios now belongs to i mean acquired by other studios? like 3dfx -> nvidia.

Its theoreticaly possible to make wrappers? 3dfx is open sourced all other need reverse enginering right? and it especially hard because need to work on hardware directly.

Wondering why all these devs them self's didn't maked wrappers =). why all that deserves abandon.

Sorry for bumping and many questions. Still continue reading. Very interesting. Thank you very much.

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv