VOGONS

Reply 20 of 658, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know exactly the differences between the Mystique version and the retail. I tested it on a Pentium 3, and both the retail and Mystique version ran very good on the card. Maybe there are some differences on slower computers, maybe it's all a marketing thing. The Moto Racer version for Mystique says "Optimized for Mystique 220" at the main screen.It runs on other cards, but you get some graphical errors which you don't see in the retail version.

All other games listed above are run with Matrox's own API, Matrox Simple Interface, or MSI.

OpenGL support was never Matrox's strongpoint..

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 21 of 658, by sheath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote:

I don't know exactly the differences between the Mystique version and the retail. I tested it on a Pentium 3, and both the retail and Mystique version ran very good on the card. Maybe there are some differences on slower computers, maybe it's all a marketing thing. The Moto Racer version for Mystique says "Optimized for Mystique 220" at the main screen.It runs on other cards, but you get some graphical errors which you don't see in the retail version.

All other games listed above are run with Matrox's own API, Matrox Simple Interface, or MSI.

OpenGL support was never Matrox's strongpoint..

I think I'm remembering an OpenGL ->Direct 3D mapper working okay with the M3D, I don't think I ever tried it with the Mystique. With a PIII 500 I'm guessing such a thing would work fine if I needed it for, what, higher than 640x480 resolutions. Thanks for the note on Moto Racer, I think I'll pick it up on the cheap just to see it on my 220.

I noticed the Mystique 200 drivers out there, was there an actual 200 model that came out earlier than mine? If so that must have been the one that came in my PC in 1996.

Reply 22 of 658, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The M3D is based on the PowerVR chipset, which is completely different from the Mystique.

There is another previous model of the Mystique which runs on a 170mhz RAMDAC compared to the 220mhz the Mystique 220 runs at, but I have never heard it be called the Mystique 200. You sure you are not confusing it with the G200?

The "original" Mystique is required for Battle Arena Toshinden and Actua Soccer. See this thread for more info:

Battle Arena Toshinden on Matrox Mystique

Reply 23 of 658, by sheath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote:
The M3D is based on the PowerVR chipset, which is completely different from the Mystique. […]
Show full quote

The M3D is based on the PowerVR chipset, which is completely different from the Mystique.

There is another previous model of the Mystique which runs on a 170mhz RAMDAC compared to the 220mhz the Mystique 220 runs at, but I have never heard it be called the Mystique 200. You sure you are not confusing it with the G200?

The "original" Mystique is required for Battle Arena Toshinden and Actua Soccer. See this thread for more info:

Battle Arena Toshinden on Matrox Mystique

Right, I didn't mean to make it sound like the M3D was part of the Mystique line. I considered the M3D Matrox's first "hardware accelerated" 3D card like 3DFX at the time. I forgot that it was PVR based, now I really want to find the card again. That reminds me why I went from the Mystique +M3D to the Evil Kyro.

Yes, I must be thinking about the G200, that is one of the driver inf files I tried while I was testing this Mystique 220, I guess I might have assumed it was the G220 properly. Yup, it looks like I got the model numbers mixed up.

Reply 25 of 658, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know if Sento/Creep Clash (bundled with the Matrox Impression) were ever sold as retail? As in, a cardboard box?

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 26 of 658, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NitroX infinity wrote:

Does anyone know if Sento/Creep Clash (bundled with the Matrox Impression) were ever sold as retail? As in, a cardboard box?

I think it was only shareware (mail) order. Did it come with a box? No idea.

Reply 27 of 658, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some updates on this project:

- PowerVR list expect to be completed in a couple of days (I just updated it with some more games and added resolution support)
- Redo reviews & articles layout
- Highlight exclusive games for each API
- Make a Excel file available for download showing other available ports including 3DFX and Direct3D

Later inclusions will be selfmade patches. The first ones to be released will be:
- Indycar Racing II Retail to Speedy3D including updated tracks.
- Actua Soccer CGL patch
- Hi Octane 3D Blaster PCI CGL patch

Reply 29 of 658, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for including my ideas about the Excel sheet! (Or maybe a Google Docs Spreadsheet? Better for viewing online when you have no Excel/OpenOffice installed. You can import Excel files there so you could still prepare it within Excel.)

Reply 30 of 658, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thought I'd might give some info on a card not yet mentioned;

Artist Graphics Artist 2000i
Released in 1995 (manual states first edition July 1995)
3GA is the chip's name.

Technical documentation states support for the following 3D API's;
OpenGL, Argonaut BRender, Criterion Software RenderWare, Rendermorphic Reality Lab, Intel 3DR & HOOPS (link)

http://web.archive.org/web/19961029091318/htt … PDF/3gadata.pdf

Reply 31 of 658, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was this card geared more towards CAD users? Never heard about it from a gaming perspective. If the list is going to include cards that were towards CAD / 3D animation stuff, then there are loads.

Reply 32 of 658, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://web.archive.org/web/19961029091239/htt … om/3ga-main.htm

The 3GA's features include built-in Windows acceleration, 2D and 3D lines, flat-shading, Gouraud-shading, and texture-mapping. The last feature is especially important for running 3D action games like Doom and Descent, and means that games can now be run at more that 15 frames per second at 4x the current 320 x 200 resolution. Initial benchmarks show that the 3GA is significantly faster than the S3 968 Windows accelerator.

It's predescessor was definately aimed at CAD users but this one, in my opinion, was meant primarily for games.

Reply 34 of 658, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 3GA's features include built-in Windows acceleration, 2D and 3D lines, flat-shading, Gouraud-shading, and texture-mapping. The last feature is especially important for running 3D action games like Doom and Descent, and means that games can now be run at more that 15 frames per second at 4x the current 320 x 200 resolution. Initial benchmarks show that the 3GA is significantly faster than the S3 968 Windows accelerator.

Now this sound like pure marketing.

• There was no known accelerated version of the original Doom and only a special version of Descent for NV1 so it is safe to assume that there were no special versions for this rather obscure accelerator.
  • S3 968 is a 2D accelerator so this sentence does not refer to 3D acceleration.

I'd say if anybody finds a game (patch) that natively supports this 3GA chip it should be included in the list, not earlier.
There is a short thread here Artist 3GA 2000i, what memory? which does not mention any distinctive games.

Reply 35 of 658, by kanyero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have uploaded a s3 virge patch for screamer here:

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_merece-la-pena … ngo_1878193_s20

Direct link to mega if you cant read spanish:

https://mega.co.nz/#!0c0hiL7A!OfeVsy86RTg1LuU … VxV4FzN36uSb0FI

I had this patch lying around in a cd since i had my p200 mmx. Now i dont have a s3 virge to test, but feel free to check by yourself.

I hope this would help you. 😀

Reply 36 of 658, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanyero wrote:
I have uploaded a s3 virge patch for screamer here: […]
Show full quote

I have uploaded a s3 virge patch for screamer here:

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_merece-la-pena … ngo_1878193_s20

Direct link to mega if you cant read spanish:

https://mega.co.nz/#!0c0hiL7A!OfeVsy86RTg1LuU … VxV4FzN36uSb0FI

I had this patch lying around in a cd since i had my p200 mmx. Now i dont have a s3 virge to test, but feel free to check by yourself.

I hope this would help you. 😀

Thanks, this is probably from the Number Nine bundled version. I'll test it out and report back 😀

Reply 37 of 658, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good news! Can confirm that the patch works with Screamer. I tested it with a S3 Virge GX2. Framerate isn't fully smooth in 640x480 with everything turned on, but it has bilinear filtering. There are some graphical glitches, but that could be because I'm running it with the GX2, and not the 325/DX. I've moved the game to the supported list in the S3 Virge section 😁

Made an unlisted video for it: http://youtu.be/x7yqJYB3dxs
Not making it public since I'll do a proper video for my channel later. This is only for you who reads this thread 😉

I also made the Actua Soccer VLB & PCI CGL patch available.

Reply 38 of 658, by kanyero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm glad to help with this kind of stuff 😀

I'm sure i had more s3d patches somewhere in my cds, unfortunately most of them went to the garbage when i got my first dvd burner. Anyway i could have a look to see if i had something else that could be useful for you.

Reply 39 of 658, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanyero wrote:

I'm glad to help with this kind of stuff 😀

I'm sure i had more s3d patches somewhere in my cds, unfortunately most of them went to the garbage when i got my first dvd burner. Anyway i could have a look to see if i had something else that could be useful for you.

Appreciate it 😀 I doubt there are any more S3 games out there, but I've been mistaken before. While I do have information on almost all of the OEM versions in the list, the one I would love the most info on would be the PowerSGL version of Flight Unlimited. It came bundled with Compaq Presario PCs which had the Midas 3 and the PCX1 installed in late 1996. There are very little archived information regarding it on Google Groups.