VOGONS

Reply 280 of 661, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I apologize if this was mentioned somewhere already, but which Matrox cards are capable of 3D acceleration in Nascar Racing? I have a few older ones, and I just bought a (brand new, sealed!) copy of the game on eBay. I'd loooove to get my hands on an NV1 of course, but that isn't likely to happen... ever.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 281 of 661, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I apologize if this was mentioned somewhere already, but which Matrox cards are capable of 3D acceleration in Nascar Racing? I have a few older ones, and I just bought a (brand new, sealed!) copy of the game on eBay. I'd loooove to get my hands on an NV1 of course, but that isn't likely to happen... ever.

Matrox Millennium.
http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/component/k2/ … -mga-millennium

Calling it "3D Accelerated" is maybe a misnomer, as some of the posts on the first page of this thread get into, but vetz proved that it _is_ accelerated.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 282 of 661, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
Matrox Millennium. http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/component/k2/ … -mga-millennium […]
Show full quote
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Matrox Millennium.
http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/component/k2/ … -mga-millennium

Calling it "3D Accelerated" is maybe a misnomer, as some of the posts on the first page of this thread get into, but vetz proved that it _is_ accelerated.

Is the MIllennium II backward compatible? I have both. I think my Millennium (1) has a memory expansion installed as well.

Reply 283 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Is the MIllennium II backward compatible? I have both. I think my Millennium (1) has a memory expansion installed as well.

No, it's not.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 284 of 661, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

No, it's not.

Okay, good to know. I just tossed in my Millenium with the 4MB expansion memory, installed the CDROM version of Nascar Racing, loaded it up with the Matrox executable and it works beautifully! Its too bad this is the only game that really uses this card... it runs surprisingly well with this Pentium 200 MMX in SVGA mode with all settings turned up to maximum.

Now, one thing I'm curious about...

Is there a way to choose which PCI video card will be used when I boot my system? I've never honestly bothered running multiple video cards in the same interface before, and certainly never in DOS. I have an STB Velocity 3D (Virge VX) installed for best DOS game compatibility, but it'd be nice to have the Millennium in there for Nascar if I only had to reboot and switch the VGA cable or something. Currently, the Millennium seems to just override the Velocity 3D completely when it is installed (Velocity is in the first PCI slot, Orchid Righteous 3D is in second, Matrox is in third) with no obvious way to switch back.

Reply 285 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Is there a way to choose which PCI video card will be used when I boot my system? I've never honestly bothered running multiple video cards in the same interface before, and certainly never in DOS. I have an STB Velocity 3D (Virge VX) installed for best DOS game compatibility, but it'd be nice to have the Millennium in there for Nascar if I only had to reboot and switch the VGA cable or something. Currently, the Millennium seems to just override the Velocity 3D completely when it is installed (Velocity is in the first PCI slot, Orchid Righteous 3D is in second, Matrox is in third) with no obvious way to switch back.

Not that will work with any card on top of my head. For the Matrox Millennium there is a jumper on the card which will disable VGA on boot. You can still use it from Windows, and from there it may be possible to launch NASCAR through a DOS window.

Reply 286 of 661, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Not that will work with any card on top of my head. For the Matrox Millennium there is a jumper on the card which will disable VGA on boot. You can still use it from Windows, and from there it may be possible to launch NASCAR through a DOS window.

That's actually very interesting! I've been thinking of installing Windows 98 or 95 on the small ~400MB partition on this drive (its a 2.5GB) just in case. I just can't remember how to set up a boot menu to allow me to choose between it or DOS... its been so long since I did any of this stuff. I primarily want to use this system in pure DOS mode (with Windows 3.1 available in a pinch) but some games that'd work quite well on it require Windows 95.

I'll have to do some more research.

Or I may just try out all of my games with the Matrox card and if they all work without slowdowns or problems, I could just use that and take out the Virge VX. I haven't really run into anything personally that hasn't worked with the Matrox, I've just seen a lot of posts talking about incompatibilities with many games.

Reply 287 of 661, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apparently Sds stardivers by Cybelle had support for powervr

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 288 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:

Apparently Sds stardivers by Cybelle had support for powervr

You need to provide some proof/source for that before it can be added to the list.

That game never showed up in any of the Japanese PowerVR research I did, also there is no mention of PowerVR/PowerSGL support on the box (Direct3D is mentioned though).

Last edited by vetz on 2016-04-02, 18:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 289 of 661, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://web.archive.org/web/20031121234451/ht … /ndownload.html

This sounds suspect, don't you think?

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 290 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Link still works, I'll check it out either with the demo or with an hexx editor. Could be a direct3d executable wwith powervr fixes. Other games had that as well, or it could be full powersgl support

Reply 291 of 661, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Link still works, I'll check it out either with the demo

Good luck with that: for some odd reason I couldn't download more than 3% of it (I tried Jdownloader2, Dap, Idm...) and shitty archive.org server doesn't support resume.

Reply 293 of 661, by Tuxality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

vetz, your suspicions were correct. Sadly this game is Direct3D only. It might be written with PowerVR in mind, but it's not a SGL game. This patch is only an update to the game which contains bug fixes for PowerVR in form of replacement exe. If my translation is correct, it fixes i.a. transparency problems with PowerVR PCX1 running this game. Still I think that it's worth getting, because this game looks quite interesting.

Last edited by Tuxality on 2016-04-03, 22:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 294 of 661, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If only I could find some working demo or good screenshots/images. The game is on sale @ a medium price on japanese auctions and I might add it to my next batch of purchases from japan.

Reply 295 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tuxality wrote:

vetz, your suspicions were correct. Sadly this game is Direct3D only. It might be written with PowerVR in mind, but it's not a SGL game. This patch is only an update to the game which contains bug fixes for PowerVR in form of replacement exe. If my translation is correct, it fixes i.a. transparency problems with PowerVR PCX1 running this game. Still I think that it's worth getting, because this game looks quite interesting.

Thanks for checking up on it Tuxality! I took a look on the patch file as well, and I could not find any PowerSGL references, only D3D.

The game isn't that expensive from both Amazon.co.jp and other places in Japan, like here 300 yen (2.7 USD) https://medio.bz/item.php?cc=5&item=4943769000217

Last edited by vetz on 2016-04-04, 09:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 296 of 661, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice catch vetz, however I live far away from japan and I only pay fees on fees on something I know at least (whoever uses a proxy service like fromjapan, noppin or similar knows what I am talking about). And no, I have no intention to ask infos, screenshots or videos to that assembler blogger guy, he probably would reply he has no bandwith for that 🙄

Reply 298 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:
Is it possible to use this three cards in one machine? […]
Show full quote

Is it possible to use this three cards in one machine?

- S3Virge (Main Gfx-Card)
- PCX2 PowerVR
- Voodoo1 or 2 (not both)

Doc

Yes!

Highest amount of APIs for one machine without using any VGA switchboxes and multiple 2D cards would be a system with:
-Creative 3D Blaster PCI (CGL, RRedline, Speedy3D, Direct3D)
-Voodoo 1 or Voodoo 2 (Glide, Direct3D)
-PCX2 PowerVR (PowerSGL, Direct 3D)
-Paradise Tasmania 3D

If you had a switchbox and an AGP motherboard (allows you to select main VGA card in DOS between PCI and AGP), this would probably be the largest API setup possible:

-Windows/DOS: S3 Virge GX2 AGP (S3D, Direct3D) OR ATI Rage 3D PRO AGP (ATICIF, Direct3D)
-Windows/DOS: Creative 3D Blaster PCI (CGL, RRedline, Speedy3D, Direct3D)
-Voodoo 1 or Voodoo 2 (Glide, Direct3D)
-PCX2 PowerVR (PowerSGL, Direct 3D)
-Paradise Tasmania 3D

The S3 Virge has some better compatibility for early DOS games than the ATI Rage, but the ATI Rage have more kickass games with ATICIF exclusive Wipeout and Assault Rigs.

Reply 299 of 661, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx! the main card must be very compatible with dos and win3x. I'll choose PCI, no AGP. I currently only own a pcx1 and therefore I'll use this. I think I will go for a voodoo2 because it's faster and has better image quality. The machine will be a klamath PII with 133Mhz (Dos/Win3x) and 300Mhz (Win9x/2k) choosable over the bios.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines