VOGONS

Reply 80 of 661, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well... it helps that there's a RenderWare logo right on the back of the box 😀

Also, some later RenderWare games include Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, San Andreas. All Direct3D. There are lots of RenderWare games but I don't see the point of listing them for this thread. It's not like it's a rendering engine with freely interchangable API backends for everything. It's no different than making a list of id Tech 2/3 games and BRender games.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 81 of 661, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Well... it helps that there's a RenderWare logo right on the back of the box 😀

-

I understand, but how would you confirm otherwise? (hexediting/searching/disassembly, looking at filenames/structure/etc.) And how would you determine which revision of RenderWare it is?

leileilol wrote:

Also, some later RenderWare games include Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, San Andreas. All Direct3D. There are lots of RenderWare games but I don't see the point of listing them for this thread. It's not like it's a rendering engine with freely interchangable API backends for everything. It's no different than making a list of id Tech 2/3 games and BRender games.

Most Brender games have API drivers. They may be interchangable to a degree, I don't believe anyone has checked yet.
Here's a collection of drivers: http://rr2000.toshiba-3.com/R4/PC/BDD.zip

Could have sworn MiniGL was exchangable between games (3dfxgl.dll to 3dfxgl.dll, etc.)
(and could be renamed (3dfxgl.dll-pvrsgl.dll), although to what end I don't know).
But you're the expert... 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 83 of 661, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

trickstyle says renderware in the intro

And how would you determine which revision of RenderWare it is? 😉

Stiletto

Reply 84 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Managed to acquire Nirgends ( 虚空漂流ニルゲンツ ) from Japan

Can confirm it's purely in Japanese. Max resolution is 640x480. Graphics are subpar and it is an RPG/action fighter game reminiscant of Wing Commander. The flying portions suck and I can't understand a word of the story haha..

Currently missing Actua Ice Hockey, Flight Unlimited and Actua Soccer of the PowerVR games to test out. It is just too bad the last two mentioned games will require a good portion of luck to get hold of 🙁

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 85 of 661, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Managed to acquire Nirgends ( 虚空漂流ニルゲンツ ) from Japan

Can confirm it's purely in Japanese. Max resolution is 640x480. Graphics are subpar and it is an RPG/action fighter game reminiscant of Wing Commander. The flying portions suck and I can't understand a word of the story haha..

Currently missing Actua Ice Hockey, Flight Unlimited and Actua Soccer of the PowerVR games to test out. It is just too bad the last two mentioned games will require a good portion of luck to get hold of 🙁

Congratulations! 😀

Someday I'll be coming to you when MESS starts adding 3D accelerators (I'm not expecting any others for DOSBox but you never know)

Stiletto

Reply 86 of 661, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's next for MESS anyway? PowerVR? (Would be necessary to do it for the Dreamcast emulation anyway - and PCX2 could be backward'd from the DC code they have now)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 87 of 661, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Say, um, this might be a bit of a stupid question, but do we need to now add AMD's Mantle API and Battlefield 4 to this list?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7371/understand … ics-api-for-gcn

Proprietary API, this is, after all...

Reply 92 of 661, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dant wrote:

Say, um, this might be a bit of a stupid question, but do we need to now add AMD's Mantle API and Battlefield 4 to this list?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7371/understand … ics-api-for-gcn

Proprietary API, this is, after all...

When vetz started the list he wrote "for all early 3D accelerators" so technically Mantle would be out. Not even S3 MeTaL is included.

Reply 93 of 661, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

The true step backwards are high level APIs which cause a good percentage of performance to be burned for nothing 😀

No. They made renderers lot more convenient, and ideally provide level field for competition.

Reply 94 of 661, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It depends on the perspective. If I see what kind of stuff is possible with custom X1950s/7800 GTXs... on the PC you could throw those cards in the bin one or two years after they were released.

I like AMDs approach. Low-level optimization is the way to go. Having some huge 200-250W TDP graphics chip and not using a good deal of potential performance seems pointless to me. I wouldn't even mind having proprietary renderers etc like it used to be, as long as companies are offering tangible benefits for the customer. Ideally competition always means developing your own standard without interference and not playing by some arbitrary rules. Look at how Intel's compiler deliberately cripples AMD CPUs. Who knows how much performance is wasted through Direct3D...

Reply 95 of 661, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, I'm surprised Intel is legally allowed to do that with their compiler.

I'm going to hope this "Mantle" API is actually going to be "open" like they say it is since there's no way in hell I'm getting another AMD product after having to battle with their crappy driver programming...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 97 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
idspispopd wrote:

Not even S3 MeTaL is included.

Been discussed in the past if this should be included or not. Do you guys want it on the list?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 99 of 661, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

What's next for MESS anyway? PowerVR? (Would be necessary to do it for the Dreamcast emulation anyway - and PCX2 could be backward'd from the DC code they have now)

Next for MESS is to get a decent PCI emulation system in its PC drivers - currently, it's pretty much ISA-only.

Next (I hope) will be x86 CPU emulation acceleration - they won't do virtualization but there will probably be a dynarec core. Currently, I believe there's only a interpretive x86 core.

After that, perhaps we'll see Voodoo added formally as an option to the PC drivers. It's been emulated for years for arcade games in MAME, so it should be easy.

Dreamcast is PowerVR Series 2, not PCX2 (Series 1) IIRC so closest PC card to Dreamcast is Neon 250. I mentioned Neon 250 to the current Dreamcast dev (Kale), he was intrigued. Looks like we'd need to get our hands on a VBIOS dump and drivers minimum, though. We had someone come forward asking to help with Series 1 emulation but I've lost track of who that was now.

Anyhow, that's all mostly conjecture.

The current shiny people are playing with is a GUI improvement via a integrated web server built into MESS, which is a weird toy. Still, the (eventual) ability to change floppy disks in a PC emulation - by using your netbook, tablet or cellphone - without leaving "full keyboard emulation" mode on your host PC is a neat trick.

Anyhow, we're starting to get off-topic. Maybe someday we'll start a MESS thread over here. 😀

Stiletto