VOGONS

Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

Topic actions

Reply 280 of 355, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok made all Dos Glide games which i wanted (im not playing simulators and jet simulators) work at V3+i865+Core2 some notes how to:
Blood - needs settting 640x480 and V2 bath Build variables (these for V2 are fine for V3), other its not working, realmode (Himem only, no EMS driver loaded) is needed. 64 MB RAM neeeded. This is only game on list which needs some glide variables fiddling. Realmode also means no sound unless you have sound drivers which not need EMS..
Redguard (demo) - working with load V3 driver -107
Q2DOS - working with H3 + H5 + mesa drivers, there are part of Q2DOS project. Realmode.
Q1DOS with working with H5 + mesa drivers, there are part of Q1DOS project. Realmode.
Screamer II - working with driver 104. Realmode.
Carmageddon - working with last V3 driver -107 in realmode, i have to set no no sound. Realmode.
Screamer Rally - working with driver 104. Realmode.
Descent II - it needs realmode, d2(_)fx patch is working.
Is game is running in small windown after patch press "+" full view. If you have very small view distance in glide mode, you have to run games with -noLowMemParamete parameter. There are also parameters for nosound and nomusic for testing.
Hexen2Dos (Hammer of Thyrion, demo is available) - working fine in realmode, you have to copy driver from project folders..
Lands of Lore II - its working in EMS mode (sound card is mandatory..) with SB IRQ7, i triead all Vooodo 3 drivers, all are working, but all have some display artifacts problem.
Here i have problems, i most of the game start but not everytime and im same setting and boot session i have i picture some glitches.. Maybe they could be mitigated by some glide variable or other fix..

LoL2 glitch:

LoL2-glitches.jpg
Filename
LoL2-glitches.jpg
File size
239.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 281 of 355, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
Does a compatibility matrix exist for the Voodoo Banshee as well, or does it offer the exact same as a Voodoo 2?
I've skimmed the forum, and at times I've read conflicting information on that topic.

A few posts claiming equal compatibility:

Which Voodoo card to buy?
Which Voodoo card to buy ?

candle_86 wrote:
KT7AGuy wrote:

Will a Banshee work with static-link DOS games like Archimedean Dynasty and EF2000?

If it works on the voodoo 2 it works on the banshee.

Voodoo Banshee vs Voodoo II
Voodoo Banshee vs Voodoo II

Nahkri wrote:

Banshee is a voodoo 2 minus a texturing unit, but with 100mhz gpu and memory, so it's early glide compatibility is same as the voodoo 2.

At least one post is putting it into question: (it's based on Blood though, so it might just be a misunderstanding in this case)

3Dfx Banshee - Capable of running like V1 (like V2 can)?
3Dfx Banshee - Capable of running like V1 (like V2 can)?

leileilol wrote:

I couldn't get Blood to work on Banshee ages ago so I doubt it. Treat it as a prototypical Voodoo3 than a Voodoo Graphics redux.

If Banshee were the miracle card, we'd all be using one by now.

Also, is there a thread or some other resource dealing with win9x early glide compatibility as well? I know it's offtopic, but I've read in here that Uprising: Join or Die is potentially one such case that will only work with the Voodoo 1.

Reply 283 of 355, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote:

Ok made all Dos Glide games which i wanted (im not playing simulators and jet simulators) work at V3+i865+Core2 some notes how to

No Pyl on the list means it doesn't work? as it looks to match your gaming preferences?
BTW anyone knows if it works with Voodoo 4/5?

Reply 284 of 355, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

No Pyl on the list means it doesn't work? as it looks to match your gaming preferences?

Not tested, i wasnt game which i knew and want to test.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 286 of 355, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found on Youtube this and it looks more like Alien Breed on console..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHb7yb9KL8s

Reply 290 of 355, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Der Kuenringer wrote:

Does a compatibility matrix exist for the Voodoo Banshee as well, or does it offer the exact same as a Voodoo 2?

Use this common sense for DOS Glide games compatibility.
- If the game uses GLIDE2X.OVL and your Voodoo-whatever card has its own GLIDE2X.OVL, then the likelihood for the game to work is very high, provided the game is conformant to Glide 2.4 programming guidelines. You need to use the GLIDE2X.OVL from the card, not the one from the game, if one is included. Usually, the one from the game would be the Voodoo1 version.
- If the game is static linked, then almost certainly that it would be linked with Voodoo1 version of GLIDE2X.OVL because back then the timeline of such games was Voodoo1. You will need environment vars to emulate a Voodoo1. Not every Voodoo-whatever card has one, and it does not always work. Most people knew Voodoo2 has one, but whether that would work for Banshee/V3/V4/V5 is still a mystery.
- Sometimes, you may only get GLIDE2X.OVL from 3Dfx reference drivers package, not from the official OEM drivers for the Voodoo-whatever card you own. In that case, it depends the OEM had copied exactly the 3Dfx reference design for their products. Otherwise, the reference driver GLIDE2X.OVL may not work or have stability issues on non-reference designs.

Reply 291 of 355, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there is more static link games (listead here as dynamic its right but they have also static version)
http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic. … 72&p=3473#p3473
and if you ever interested
3dfx dos demos
http://www.pouet.net/lists.php?which=72

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 292 of 355, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never could get Tomb Raider 1 working on any of my Voodoo2 cards, no matter what driver I used or variables I set. The game would simply not use the 3dfx card. Period.

So, today I pulled the plug and spent way too much money to get a Diamond Monster 3D 4MB version of a Voodoo1. Should be here in a few weeks and then we'll see how Tomb Raider runs then.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 293 of 355, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FFXIhealer wrote:

I never could get Tomb Raider 1 working on any of my Voodoo2 cards, no matter what driver I used or variables I set. The game would simply not use the 3dfx card. Period.

So, today I pulled the plug and spent way too much money to get a Diamond Monster 3D 4MB version of a Voodoo1. Should be here in a few weeks and then we'll see how Tomb Raider runs then.

I tested tomb raider quite a while to get it working with voodoo 2 card. Basically in the end I managed to make it work on my pentium 3 system.
From http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com/voodoo2.html I downloaded driver version win9x V3.03.00 and I copied glide2x.ovl file from the driver to the tomb raider installation directly. All the other glide2x.ovl file version from other driver packages on that web site were too speed sensitive that my voodoo 2 would not be detected by them in pentium 3 system. You didn't mention what system you tried tomb raider and voodoo 2 in, so I can't say for sure if the the same speed sensitivity was the issue. I didn't use any variables, it was just matter of if voodoo 2 was detected or not because of speed of the system.
Any slow down software like throttle did not help with voodoo 2 detection.

Reply 294 of 355, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

I tested tomb raider quite a while to get it working with voodoo 2 card. Basically in the end I managed to make it work on my pentium 3 system.
From http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com/voodoo2.html I downloaded driver version win9x V3.03.00 and I copied glide2x.ovl file from the driver to the tomb raider installation directly. All the other glide2x.ovl file version from other driver packages on that web site were too speed sensitive that my voodoo 2 would not be detected by them in pentium 3 system. You didn't mention what system you tried tomb raider and voodoo 2 in, so I can't say for sure if the the same speed sensitivity was the issue. I didn't use any variables, it was just matter of if voodoo 2 was detected or not because of speed of the system.
Any slow down software like throttle did not help with voodoo 2 detection.

I tried 3 different systems, all failed.

System 1: Primary Windows 98 gaming rig
Intel Pentium III 600MHz "Katmai" Slot 1 CPU
ASUS P2B Revision 1.02 MB (100MHz FSB)
256MB PC-100 SDRAM
Diamond Viper V770 (NVidia Riva TNT2) 32MB AGP
2x STB V2-1000 Voodoo2 12MB PCI in SLI
Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE64 Standard ISA
40GB Western Digital HDD
Windows 98 Second Edition

System 2: Hand-out IBM Aptiva
AMD K6-2 300MHz Socket-7 CPU
66MHz FSB
64MB PC-66 SDRAM
on-board ATI Rage II+DVD chip
Diamond Monster 3D II Voodoo2 8MB PCI
on-board Crystal Audio chip
8GB Quantum Bigfoot HDD
Windows 98 First Edition

System 3: Primary Windows 95 system
Intel Pentium P54C 200MHz Socket-7
Micronics M55hi+ MB (66Mhz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache)
64MB 60ns EDO 72-pin SIMM
ATI Rage IIc PCI
Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 4MB PCI (incoming card)
on-board Creative Labs Vibra16 chip
20.4 GB Maxtor drive with overlay software installed
Windows 95 OSR2

Tomb Raider will only work in regular software rendering on all of these systems. The test card for the Windows 95 system (#3 above) was the Diamond Monster 3D II Voodoo2 card from System #2). Never could get Tomb Raider to work properly with the Voodoo2 cards, so now a more age-appropriate Voodoo1 card is going into System #3. I mean, at 200MHz processor speeds and with the 16MHz bandwidth limit on the 64MB EDO RAM, it's never going to be able to utilize the power of the Voodoo2 anyway. And the system is .... well, I built it because I had the CPU and MB and I've obtained over the last two years all the other parts necessary to make it work and I had a fully licensed copy of Windows 95 lying around not being used. The Voodoo card is the last piece of the puzzle to make it a DOS/Win95 gaming system. It's fast enough to run 1997-and-earlier games and nicely covers the era where 3D games were just starting to come out - the earliest 3D graphics games.

System #2 was handed to me because I was looking for a case for System #3 to go into. I have since been given a better case anyway, so that system just needed a Voodoo2 card to really open it up to gaming.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 295 of 355, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This might be stupid question but did you install the 3dfx rush patch to the tomb raider and use that executable to run it?
I ask this because I thought that executable would not run at all if it doesn't find voodoo card and you would not get software rendering with it either.
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/tomb-raider.html

Reply 296 of 355, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:

Heh, I'm debating on getting one too, but the pricing is just ludicrous. Almost snagged a nice NIB Canopus 6mb model but waited too long, I'm bad at procrastinating! For the record, I got my V2 to run TR1 by disabling SLI, using the rush patch and going with a slower P3 450 in place of the 850. Truthfully couldn't tell you which of those had the most affect.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 297 of 355, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote:
FFXIhealer wrote:

Heh, I'm debating on getting one too, but the pricing is just ludicrous. Almost snagged a nice NIB Canopus 6mb model but waited too long, I'm bad at procrastinating! For the record, I got my V2 to run TR1 by disabling SLI, using the rush patch and going with a slower P3 450 in place of the 850. Truthfully couldn't tell you which of those had the most affect.

For me the main thing was cpu speed and speed sensitivity of the ovl file version. Rush patch is the only one that works with Voodoo2 because it searches for the glide2x.ovl file while the standard 3dfx patch only wants voodoo1 card and nothing else works with it. Having SLI didn't matter for me at all. if I had correct ovl file that worked with single voodoo2, it also worked with SLI. It also did not seem to matter which game it was, it seemed to be only that if the ovl file was correct the voodoo2 card(s) were detected and worked but not detected using other ovl file versions.

Reply 298 of 355, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tie Break Tennis 98 - i think it possible to run it, in nGlide compatibility page it tells need cycles=75000 and it work, so task is to make real machine close to that speed, match it, in another words need to be slowdowned, or need slow processor like am5x86 (100Mhz?) Speedtst utility with 75000 cycles tells
it:

Pentium iP54-75(100), Intel Triton 669118
ы This computer 659420 parrots, 244.5 XT
Am5x86-133-X5-P75(3-180), UMC8886BF/8881F 640845

Prost Grand Prix 1998 - i see menus, when i start race it goes black screen, nothing more.

Dreams to Reality - i will try test soon
on Voodoo2 with 350Mhz one processsor and another 2Ghz

Reply 299 of 355, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actua Soccer (OEM) patch exist , i think you already know https://gona.mactar.hu/3D/files/SOC3DFX.zip

I think for Dreams to Reality also slow PC needed , so if bios allow , slowdown Hz of CPU decrease .

I think Pyl designed for Voodoo 1 card , so anyone can test it? The next idea i want to try DOS32A extender for this game.

Prost Grand Prix - hmm should be way to make it work? DOSBox varsions that support glide pass thru (not emulation) works , what magic behind that? or those dosbox versions use something voodoo1?