VOGONS

Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 355, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Archimedean Dynasty 3dfx patch installs and uses glide2x.ovl for Voodoo Graphics/Voodoo Rush. Of course this file can't work with Voodoo2/3/4/5/Banshee. You must delete/rename glide2x.ovl in the game directory.
Extreme Assault needs patch 1.2.3 for Voodoo2 and later cards. So - install all 4 patches (they are sequental) and try again.
Shadow Warrior... the EMS size maybe? Try this game with the EMM386.EXE NOEMS.
Extreme Assault and Shadow Warrior work ok on my test PC (Pentium 4 3.2E, MS-DOS 7.1, Voodoo2), Archimedean Dynasty freezes with all 3 executables.
DOSBox have better compatibility because of hacks.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 221 of 355, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
I had another go at screamer2 and screamer rally, this time with my voodoo5 5500 agp system. (asus tusl2-c, p3-s 1400mhz, 512mb, […]
Show full quote

I had another go at screamer2 and screamer rally, this time with my voodoo5 5500 agp system. (asus tusl2-c, p3-s 1400mhz, 512mb, win98se, soundblaster live!)

To my surprise, BOTH games start fine with the v2 executables (same used for v3) as long as i copy the v5 glide2x.ovl into the game's folder.

Unfortunately the faulty interlaced corruption is there in both games. this could be solved with the v3 by using a different version of glide2x.ovl, but i tested more than 10 different versions for the v5 and is doesn't help (they do all start the games).

Using the perfectly working glide2x.ovl from the v3 gives the error of ''no 3dfx card detected'' so that doesn't work for v5.

any thoughts on this?

Can the v5 glide2x.ovl be altered so it is the same as the working one of the v3?

Interlacing corruption is from a machine running entirely way too fast and as such the card is pumping very high frame rates. You can try forcing vsync on. I noticed it usually happens if the frame rate goes past the refresh rate. Noticed this odd effect in Q2DOS with V5. I haven't tried SSTH3_SLI_AA_CONFIGURATION=0 but might be worth testing.

Reply 222 of 355, by bakudd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this zip archive on a French software CD (dated 1998)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/09n2lmnss0v … EMONIUM3DFX.ZIP

It says its a voodoo 2 fix for pandemonium, it has a bat file and pandy3.exe (i dont know if its the same as included with the game)

Here are the contents of the bat file

set SST_GRXCLK=90
set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
set SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
set SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2
SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=60
SET SSTV2_FASTMEM=1
SET SSTV2_FASTPCIRD=1
SET FX_GLIDE_ALLOC_COLOR=3
rem pause
call pandy3.exe

Reply 224 of 355, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maraakate wrote:
meljor wrote:
I had another go at screamer2 and screamer rally, this time with my voodoo5 5500 agp system. (asus tusl2-c, p3-s 1400mhz, 512mb, […]
Show full quote

I had another go at screamer2 and screamer rally, this time with my voodoo5 5500 agp system. (asus tusl2-c, p3-s 1400mhz, 512mb, win98se, soundblaster live!)

To my surprise, BOTH games start fine with the v2 executables (same used for v3) as long as i copy the v5 glide2x.ovl into the game's folder.

Unfortunately the faulty interlaced corruption is there in both games. this could be solved with the v3 by using a different version of glide2x.ovl, but i tested more than 10 different versions for the v5 and is doesn't help (they do all start the games).

Using the perfectly working glide2x.ovl from the v3 gives the error of ''no 3dfx card detected'' so that doesn't work for v5.

any thoughts on this?

Can the v5 glide2x.ovl be altered so it is the same as the working one of the v3?

Interlacing corruption is from a machine running entirely way too fast and as such the card is pumping very high frame rates. You can try forcing vsync on. I noticed it usually happens if the frame rate goes past the refresh rate. Noticed this odd effect in Q2DOS with V5. I haven't tried SSTH3_SLI_AA_CONFIGURATION=0 but might be worth testing.

Thank you for the suggestion but i already tried that and it didn't make a difference. it behaved the same on a p3-700 with v3 system and it got fixed by using a different glide2x.ovl
Unfortunataley the same fix doesn't seem to work on a voodoo5. Still like to see AA in this game so maybe i will have another go soon but with a voodoo4.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 226 of 355, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bakudd wrote:
alexanrs wrote:

Pandemonium is not a DOS game, and while it works with a Voodoo2 (with the variables), it runs too fast.

The Voodoo 2 is what makes the game run too fast?

Dunno, it behaved like that with a Voodoo2 with a Pentium MMX 200MHz and a K6-2 333MHz. That same K6-2 (and the K6-2 500MHz it was replaced with) + dgVoodoo runs it at decent speeds. The software mode version is fine, though.

Reply 227 of 355, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently the matrices for both V2 & V3 are not visible, when checking the link it gives a "This account's links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!". I'm not much into Dropbox so I don't know what exactly "temporarily" means, but maybe they could be uploaded as attachments in this forum for them to become "permanent" and avoid these quirks? Unless of course they're not that often, my timing trying to find them was unfortunate and "temporarily" is for real...

Reply 228 of 355, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:

Currently the matrices for both V2 & V3 are not visible, when checking the link it gives a "This account's links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!". I'm not much into Dropbox so I don't know what exactly "temporarily" means, but maybe they could be uploaded as attachments in this forum for them to become "permanent" and avoid these quirks? Unless of course they're not that often, my timing trying to find them was unfortunate and "temporarily" is for real...

You are just unfortunate. I didnt receive any email from Dropbox about this, but the limits they provide on free accounts of 20gb and 100.000 downloads daily are totally bollocks, no way the patch files and images here go over that. My account has been disabled two times before because of links shared at my work. This time I have no idea why, but they will be back in 5 days. Attaching files to the forum is not an option for tables like this. Vogons re-scales them and there are file size limits as well as a maximum amount of files

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 229 of 355, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

You are just unfortunate. I didnt receive any email from Dropbox about this, but the limits they provide on free accounts of 20gb and 100.000 downloads daily are totally bollocks, no way the patch files and images here go over that. My account has been disabled two times before because of links shared at my work. This time I have no idea why, but they will be back in 5 days. Attaching files to the forum is not an option for tables like this. Vogons re-scales them and there are file size limits as well as a maximum amount of files

Oh OK, thanks for clearing this up. My luck 😵

Reply 230 of 355, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:

[

Oh OK, thanks for clearing this up. My luck 😵

Links are back. Dropbox banned me because of one of the patches which they deemed as "malware". Total bullocks, but anyway, I got my public access back.

Reply 231 of 355, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any thoughts as to why I have to use such a specific glide2x.ovl file?

For Tomb Raider 1, I had to specifically use glide2x.ovl from driver V3.03.00. The June 1999 release. Other glide2x.ovl files that I tried, did not work.

As for the glide2x.ovl files that did not work, depending on which one I tried, the tests result in a blank screen once the menu attempts to load or it just results in software rendering. In all cases, the cinematic videos loaded and ran fine. The blank screen, or software fall back, occurs once the main menu loads. This would be the first point of 3D acceleration occurring.

My Voodoo2 boards are STB manufactured, and use 100MHz memory. I am testing in a MS-DOS 6.22 environment.

Reply 232 of 355, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bytesaber wrote:
Any thoughts as to why I have to use such a specific glide2x.ovl file? […]
Show full quote

Any thoughts as to why I have to use such a specific glide2x.ovl file?

For Tomb Raider 1, I had to specifically use glide2x.ovl from driver V3.03.00. The June 1999 release. Other glide2x.ovl files that I tried, did not work.

As for the glide2x.ovl files that did not work, depending on which one I tried, the tests result in a blank screen once the menu attempts to load or it just results in software rendering. In all cases, the cinematic videos loaded and ran fine. The blank screen, or software fall back, occurs once the main menu loads. This would be the first point of 3D acceleration occurring.

My Voodoo2 boards are STB manufactured, and use 100MHz memory. I am testing in a MS-DOS 6.22 environment.

You're using the Voodoo Rush patch then. I'd recommend using the Voodoo1 patch. You'll get shadow on Lara as well.

Edit: It shouldnt be that picky on Tomb Raider 1. Something must be up with your system. Voodoo1/2's can be temperamental with higher FSB/CPUs on DOS games. I see the Rush file is linked in the top thread, but that is a mistake (the missing shadow was not known at that time). I'll fix it later, but Voodoo Graphics patch is available here: http://www.patches-scrolls.com/dl.php?file=3dfx.zip. Should be same batch file as used in Battle Arena Toshinden and other static linked games.

Reply 233 of 355, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Higher CPU/FSB very well could be the cause. I'm using an ASUS CUBX-E with a 1Ghz PIII and a 100Mhz FSB. I had the same kind of results when I clocked it down to 667Mhz / 66Mhz

My Voodoo1 boards run fine at the higher speeds, however they also do not need .ovl files. A simpler design. I did not know about the shadow feature. Very cool.

So the reason for wanting to use the Rush patch, is a longer story. In general, I have been working with a friend to combine two other projects. One that enables missing Playstation audio, and another that remastered the music instruments. It is working great, but because one of those projects made use of editing the Rush patch, I am a bit forced to aim for using Rush as a solution.

Reply 234 of 355, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bytesaber wrote:

Higher CPU/FSB very well could be the cause. I'm using an ASUS CUBX-E with a 1Ghz PIII and a 100Mhz FSB. I had the same kind of results when I clocked it down to 667Mhz / 66Mhz

My Voodoo1 boards run fine at the higher speeds, however they also do not need .ovl files. A simpler design. I did not know about the shadow feature. Very cool.

So the reason for wanting to use the Rush patch, is a longer story. In general, I have been working with a friend to combine two other projects. One that enables missing Playstation audio, and another that remastered the music instruments. It is working great, but because one of those projects made use of editing the Rush patch, I am a bit forced to aim for using Rush as a solution.

The Voodoo1 have the same problems, even more so with FSB/CPU, so might seem it's not the problem. Try downclocking to 66mhz FSB to see if it makes any difference, but in my experience, 100mhz FSB should be fine. The need for .ovl files depends if the game is statically linked or not, not on the card used. The list in the first post mark these games. The Tomb Raider Voodoo Graphics patch is static linked.

Reply 235 of 355, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Roger that. Yep my focus right now has just been testing with Tomb Raider 1. I have not really tested any other games. Just been focusing on the idea about improving Tomb Raider 1 experience with the PSX music and Remaster tracks.

Reply 236 of 355, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm currently collecting hardware to build two retro PCs, one based on a Pentium 3 500Mhz and one based on an Athlon XP 2100. The first one is supposed to run old DOS- and Windows-9x-Games, mainly from the early 90s, the other one for Windows-Games form the 90s until... whenever those stopped working. 😀

I already have a Voodoo 1 (for the Pentium) and a Voodoo 3 (for the AthlonXP) card and am thinking about getting Voodoo 2 or even 2 of those. But I'm not sure if I'd really get a benefit out of those. For the DOS-machine, I think, the Voodoo 1 should suffice, even for early 90s games. The AthlonXP will get either a GeForce 2 GTS or the Voodoo 3, maybe I'll switch between both whenever they are "needed". I'm not sure there's a need for V2s...

What do you think?

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 237 of 355, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a voodoo1 in a Pentium 200.

And a Pentium 3 (500 Mhz) with Geforce 5200.

And and the Pentium 3 the 3dfx games run great with Dgvoodoo.

The only games i can not run with a wrapper are static linked exe's.
(and that need a voodoo1, no voodoo2)

I had planned to install a Voodoo2 in the Pentium3-Pc, but i do not need it.
A Glide Wrapper is fast enough and has higher Resolution and Antialising.

Reply 238 of 355, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Voodoo1 provides a 640x480 experience. A single Voodoo2 provides 800x600, and a SLI paired Voodoo2 provides a 1024x768 experience. An SLI pair can be compared to a Voodoo3 with varying differences at 1024x768.

For builds like this, Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 cards on a PCI bus work to cover 3dfx gaming options, while physically staying out of the way of AGP for nVidia cards. Use nVidia for improved performance of Direct3D and OpenGL coverage.

I use nVidia Geforce 2 TI with a Voodoo2 SLI pair. DirectX 7 (geforce2 cards) supports all DirectX 7 and older based games. DirectX 8 technically only claims support backward to DirectX 6 games. For a Windows 98 build, this seemed to be a good line to draw.

I run DirectX 8 and higher on different newer systems. 2001 (guessing) and newer era stuff. I also never felt that any of the late 3dfx cards (Voodoo5) provided any bennefit for 3dfx gaming. Most, if not all games, from Voodoo5 time period run great on DirectX cards.

Reply 239 of 355, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use this setup approach for 3dfx "only" games. If a game supports 3dfx mixed with other renderers (Direct3D and OpenGL), then I tend to lean away from choosing 3dfx modes, since the Geforec2 TI runs so much better with Direct3D and OpenGL. This is also how I tend to justify not running a Voodoo3. Which seems to compete with DirectX instead of providing access to anything exclusive. Anything old enough to be an exclusive 3dfx game runs great on Voodoo2.

Voodoo3 on PCI and a Geforce 2 TI on AGP also does not work well, as they are 2 primary video cards. This might work okay with dual monitors.

Just my personal adventure. Someone else may have a good argument against what I have described.