VOGONS

Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 355, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about Uprising? I can't get it to run on anything other than my 4MB Voodoo 1, and it's not very smooth... on any Voodoo 2 / Banshee configuration it will hang at the loading screen... Any advice?

EDITED - woops - just noticed the title sais DOS Glide.... uprising is a windows game...

Reply 201 of 355, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad I saw this thread. I was all set to try the S3 version of Descent 2 when I discovered that my Virge card was dead. I was going to buy another one when I saw this thread. I downloaded the unofficial 3dfx patch instead and can play the game with my Voodoo 3 now!

Reply 203 of 355, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

voodoo3 is on page 2 of this topic.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 204 of 355, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have tested my Voodoo2 with P4 3.0E/2 GiB RAM/6 GB FAT32 HDD volume/MS-DOS 7.1 (Win98 SE no GUI).
Have used uide.sys, shsucdx.exe and ctmouse.exe from Freedos 1.1.
All statically linked games not detect the Voodoo2, all .ovls except 3.03.00b and 3.02.02 not detect it too. It was expected, the CPU is too fast for them. Downclocking to 1.6 GHz have foxed .ovls but statically linked games still refuse to work.
There is 1 trouble.
Archimedean Dynasty freezes instantly even with the software renderer. To be more precise - both software .exes and the 3dfx .exe freeze the PC w/o any message.
Any suggestion?

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 205 of 355, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

voodoo3 is on page 2 of this topic.

Only for DOS. The situation with Windows games stays unknown, - there may to be issues too.
Probably the compatibilitiy of V3 and V4-5 was similar as we don't see any testing.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 206 of 355, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At least the glide games I tried, worked across all Voodoo cards. But I admit, it was mostly Unreal, UT, Turok, Turok 2, Descent III and maybe some other games. But no exhaustive testing by any means.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 207 of 355, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Older Glide games (like Pandemonium) that use glide.dll instead of glide2x.dll will only work up to Voodoo2. I got Pandemonium working with a Voodoo3 on a K6-2 366 using dgVoodoo, though, but that is emulation (even though it is on a retro machine), as even my Voodoo2 gave me trouble (game running too fast, even with all the environment variables set).

Reply 208 of 355, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alexanrs wrote:

Older Glide games (like Pandemonium) that use glide.dll instead of glide2x.dll will only work up to Voodoo2. I got Pandemonium working with a Voodoo3 on a K6-2 366 using dgVoodoo, though, but that is emulation (even though it is on a retro machine), as even my Voodoo2 gave me trouble (game running too fast, even with all the environment variables set).

It's actually "wrapping", not what hobbyists consider "emulation" per se. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 209 of 355, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been digging through my old games and looking for the ones I don't have. I've come into a couple of issues about the list that have been giving me a bit of a problem.

Every where I look the games Actua Soccer & VR Soccer 96 are listed as the same game, just with different names. The same seems to be true for Fatal Racing & Whiplash. Are they the same games or are they different games?

Also, NASCAR Racing 1999 Edition is listed as a Windows game (not DOS.) The ones I found on eBay, when I can actually see the requirements in the pictures, say Windows 95. Is there a DOS version of the game that I just can't seem to find?

Feeding Dragon

Reply 210 of 355, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FeedingDragon wrote:

Every where I look the games Actua Soccer & VR Soccer 96 are listed as the same game, just with different names. The same seems to be true for Fatal Racing & Whiplash. Are they the same games or are they different games?

They are the same games, given different names on different continents.

FeedingDragon wrote:

Also, NASCAR Racing 1999 Edition is listed as a Windows game (not DOS.) The ones I found on eBay, when I can actually see the requirements in the pictures, say Windows 95. Is there a DOS version of the game that I just can't seem to find?

It had a Windows installer (and IIRC a Windows binary too?) but come with a DOS binary. Or something like that. Been a while since I looked at it but I'm sure vetz will remember.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 211 of 355, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FeedingDragon wrote:

It had a Windows installer (and IIRC a Windows binary too?) but come with a DOS binary. Or something like that. Been a while since I looked at it but I'm sure vetz will remember.

You are correct. Its the most "windowfied" DOS game I know about, Elderscrolls Redguard is another one. I dunno actually if they have a DOS installer at all.

Last edited by vetz on 2015-08-11, 09:23. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 212 of 355, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nascar Racing 1999 Edition - no DOS installer, DOS and Win32 glide executables. AFAIK is the only glide game with DOS and Win32 versions.
Plus there are DOS software, Win32 software (ddraw?) and DOS Rendition executables.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 213 of 355, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

About Dreams to Reality - is the DOS Glide version any better than the Windows D3D one? The Glide version is crashing both inside Windows and in pure DOS (though I haven't tested many glide2x.ovl versions) but my Voodoo 3000 seems to be able to handle the D3D version just fine.

Reply 214 of 355, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alexanrs wrote:

About Dreams to Reality - is the DOS Glide version any better than the Windows D3D one? The Glide version is crashing both inside Windows and in pure DOS (though I haven't tested many glide2x.ovl versions) but my Voodoo 3000 seems to be able to handle the D3D version just fine.

There's a D3D version ?

Reply 218 of 355, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

I have some Problems with my V3+V1 Combination. Perhaps it's better to change the V1 with a V2.

works perfectly fine:

Clean install 98se
install directx 7
install voodoo1 (i prefer the old diamond drivers first, and then a newer driver WITHOUT overwriting some file when asked)
install voodoo3

Now in some games you can simply choose for d3d, others pick the v3. Windows glide games that support the card will pick the v3. For older glide games that do not pick up the v1, install the v1 glide.dll in the game folder (same place as executable).

Same steps with v2 + v3, works perfectly.

I tried v1+v2 sli+ v3 just for fun in one system but that gave me troubles (v1 didn't work but should be possible)

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 219 of 355, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what are the "old" diamond drivers? http://falconfly.de/voodoo1.htm

To be correct:

- I installed Win98se (it detects the v1 but there are no drivers installed)
- I install the V3-DX6 driver
Schleichfahrt and Extreme Assault are working in Dosbox of Win98se with 3dfx.

When I boot Dos 6.22 and want to run some Dosglidegames I get several issues:

- Schleichfahrt: Does not run. It does not change the GFX-Mode. It stays in Textmode and freezes.
- ExtremeAssault: This Game works with the V1 under plain Dos.
- ShadowWarrior3Dfx: Game does not work. I alway get a white screen and nothing else, the machine freezes.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines