VOGONS

STB Voodoo II

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by intel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a STB Voodoo II card which has two stickers on the back. The first is 210-0336-00X, when I look this number up I see that the card is a 12MB card. The second is 120-0782-006, when I look this up I see that the card is a 8MB card. Dxdiag show the card to have 10MB of memory. The properties tab shows about 2MB of texture memory and 4 MB of frame buffer memory. Did these cards come in 10MB or do I have bad card.

Reply 1 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DXdiag never shows correct amount of memory on Voodoo cards. Moreover, no one has ever seen a 10MB version of Voodoo 2. Click Display - Properties - V2 1000 - System info to see the correct spec.

OR

Open your case and see for yourself - V2 8MB has RAM chips on the front only, while V2 12MB has chips on the back as well.

Reply 2 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's not correct. My STB cards are 12 MB and only have memory chips on the front 😀

The Monster 3D II has chips on both sides, 24 in total and they are labelled V53C16258HK25.

The STB has 12 chips on the front labelled V53C819HK25. They must be double the capacity.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 24, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quantum3D released 10MiB Voodoo2 cards.

STB only released a 12MiB card, no 8MiB. As far as I know (and I should damn well know as a 3dfx collector 😉 ).

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 6 of 24, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NitroX infinity wrote:

Quantum3D released 10MiB Voodoo2 cards.

STB only released a 12MiB card, no 8MiB. As far as I know (and I should damn well know as a 3dfx collector 😉 ).

I'm pretty sure those 10mb cards are for arcade machines and not originally meant for general computing use.

Reply 7 of 24, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, but they exist nonetheless 😉

@intel; the program you are using to see those specs is only reporting one TMU, it doesn't seem to notice the other one.

If it is a 4+2+2 card, then I am surprised. Could you provide us with pictures of the card (front and back) ?

Reply 8 of 24, by intel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Filename
Back.JPG
File size
937.92 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
Back
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
Front.JPG
File size
983.13 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
Front
File license

Let me know if you need a close up of any part of the card.

Reply 9 of 24, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think the program is reporting it right.

Get Everest Home Edition or SiSoft Sandra from somewhere and see what they say.

Reply 11 of 24, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

RacoonRider: Dodge Garage has pictures of a PowerColor Voodoo2 with a build-date in early 2000, with post-STB logos on the chips. I've personally never seen anything like that either offered for sale or with my own eyes though.

As to this card:
Falconfly.de says the card is an STB BlackMagic 3D based on the P/N on the FCC badge, and the pictures agree with that. The STB P/N (V21312) also returns BlackMagic 3D from my searching as well. I agree with NitroX Infinity - afaik STB did not release an 8MB variant; this card should be 12MB.

Reply 13 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got one of the exact same cards.

My other 2 STB cards come with 100 MHz memory. Otherwise they are identical.

The voodoo 2 driver shows you the memory of your card. I wouldn't rely on external programs.

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 24, by intel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is what I am getting from the Driver System Info tab:

vm.jpg
Filename
vm.jpg
File size
34.47 KiB
Views
File license

Is this what is to be expected on a 12MB card?????????

Reply 15 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The frame buffer is fine, but the texture memory is lower compared to what it should be. It should be 4MB. I have a 12 MB Monster 3d II with faulty memory and it only shows 2 MB frame buffer which means I can't run it at 800 x 600.

Do games work at 800 x 600 for you?

There a lot of Voodoo 2 cards with memory issues. Maybe overclocking or overheating killed them, I don't know. I make sure I run all mine at the default 90/90 MHz.

Here are my STB cards in SLI:

xVzrFOx.png

My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 24, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was just reading this thread and decided to check System Info on my own V2-SLI rig. It reported only 2mb Total Texture Memory... hum..
After the initial panic I tried this: Disable SLI/reboot/re-enable SLI/reboot.

Now texture memory is reported at it's normal 8mb. I don't know if this is just a sign of pending ram problems or just a fluky SLI issue that can be fixed by re-setting. I also don't know if there is a reciprocal procedure to 'coax' the OP's single card along...

Reply 17 of 24, by intel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@tincup : I only have the single card in the computer. I am not running SLI right now.

@Mau1wurf1977 : I will test 800x600 tonight.

If you have 2 12MB cards that is a total of 24MB. If I add the memory in your system info I see 12MB. Does the system info not report the memory for the second card? With two cards should the Frame Buffer Memory not be at 8MB and the Total Texture Memory at 16MB????

Reply 18 of 24, by intel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this in another thread posted by : Artex

Filename
old_school.jpg
File size
92.86 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license

It would be nice if he could post what cards he has so that we can compare.

Reply 19 of 24, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The screenshot Artex posted is from newer drivers.

Mau1wurf1977 is using older drivers which just shows the memory of one card, even if SLI is enabled. So 4MB framebuffer + 8MB texture. Divide those numbers by two, sum them up and you get 24.

See this thread: Help with voodoo2 ebay sale

Last edited by vetz on 2014-05-05, 15:09. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes