S3 AGP Cards (and possibly others) Too Bright

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 163, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jepael wrote on 2016-06-02, 18:58:

Here are two simple DOS .com programs to either turn the bit on or off, but I haven't tested these. I used NASM to compile these so I haven't tested them on S3 card. These are so simple you could just do these in debug and save them.

S3BLACK.COM does not work with my PCI S3 ViRGE/GX (as well as S3BRIGHT.COM). So I decided to make new DOS executable for fixing the "too bright" BIOS bug of ViRGE/GX with LCD displays. Probably it will work on ViRGE/DX - test it.

P.S. I'm sorry for "digging up the dead guy". I decided to share my version of ViRGE/GX bright bug fix tool.

Updated attachment: COM executable replaced with EXE.

Attachments

• Filename
    S3ViRGE-GX_Fix.zip
    File size
    883 Bytes
    Downloads
    19 downloads
    File comment
    S3 ViRGE/GX(DX) brightness BIOS bug fix for DOS; CRC 3685305415
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by analog_programmer on 2024-02-29, 19:41. Edited 2 times in total.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 161 of 163, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-06-30, 21:57:

S3BLACK.COM does not work with my ISA S3 ViRGE/GX (as well as S3BRIGHT.COM). So I decided to make new DOS .com executable for fixing the "too bright" BIOS bug of ViRGE/GX with LCD display. Probably it will work on ViRGE/DX - test it.

P.S. I'm sorry for "digging up the dead guy". I decided to share my version of the little ViRGE/GX tool.

Glad that you shared the utility, which is convenient. It will work 100% with ViRGE/DX since it is very similar to the ViRGE/GX sans support for SGRAM.

The one written by Jepael were intended for late S3 video cards starting from the ViRGE/GX2.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 162 of 163, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-06-30, 21:57:
S3BLACK.COM does not work with my PCI S3 ViRGE/GX (as well as S3BRIGHT.COM). So I decided to make new DOS executable for fixing […]
Show full quote
Jepael wrote on 2016-06-02, 18:58:

Here are two simple DOS .com programs to either turn the bit on or off, but I haven't tested these. I used NASM to compile these so I haven't tested them on S3 card. These are so simple you could just do these in debug and save them.

S3BLACK.COM does not work with my PCI S3 ViRGE/GX (as well as S3BRIGHT.COM). So I decided to make new DOS executable for fixing the "too bright" BIOS bug of ViRGE/GX with LCD displays. Probably it will work on ViRGE/DX - test it.

P.S. I'm sorry for "digging up the dead guy". I decided to share my version of ViRGE/GX bright bug fix tool.

Updated attachment: COM executable replaced with EXE.

Does this work with GX2 AGP? I have this problem with my GX2 and S3BRIGHT did not work as i remember.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 163 of 163, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marxveix wrote on 2024-03-27, 11:49:

Does this work with GX2 AGP? I have this problem with my GX2 and S3BRIGHT did not work as i remember.

I can confirm that it works with ViRGE/DX and GX PCI versions. I don't have any S3 ViRGE/GX2 AGP card, so I can't confirm/deny if it works with this videoscards. You can try the tool with your GX2 AGP card, it's harmless as it is not permanent solution for the bright bug. If here's some issues, just restart the machine.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"