VOGONS

EISA Graphics / Video Cards

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've posted the EISA chipset benchmarks over here for anyone who's interested: -

EISA Graphics card benchmark results

Cheers,

Last edited by 386_junkie on 2017-04-13, 22:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 61 of 129, by Shadow Lord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
moturimi1 wrote:

the Miro Rainbow Win 4 MB EISA card = Miro Crystal 32 Eisa with 170 MHz RAMDAC.

Just to clarify: are the two cards exactly the same or does the Miro Rainbow have a better RAMDAC then the Crystal? How about chipsets and memory, are there any differnces?

Reply 62 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shadow Lord wrote:
moturimi1 wrote:

the Miro Rainbow Win 4 MB EISA card = Miro Crystal 32 Eisa with 170 MHz RAMDAC.

Just to clarify: are the two cards exactly the same or does the Miro Rainbow have a better RAMDAC then the Crystal? How about chipsets and memory, are there any differnces?

Yea can confirm the Rainbow has a better RAMDAC than the Crystal (see my card below... only 135MHz!)

Chipset and memory are the same though oddly enough... I wonder if there is much difference... other than greater refresh rates / frames.

Attachments

• Miro Crystal 32.jpg
    Filename
    Miro Crystal 32.jpg
    File size
    475.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 63 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, and before I forget... for a small fortune, a new edition to the EISA family, New Old Stock (NOS) and still to unwrap!: -

Attachments

• Spectrum 24.jpg
    Filename
    Spectrum 24.jpg
    File size
    133.62 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 65 of 129, by Phido

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

THese used I believe a custom asic, but they could be had with a cirrus logic VGA daughter board (because these don't do VGA otherwise).

The MAC versions were highly desirable, and used to cost $1000+ (could be as much as $4000) when new.

Reply 66 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't had a chance to open the box as yet... plan to do this soon, over the weekend if I can. I do know that the chipsets are custom / proprietary... to Supermac, with no VGA core, similar to the earlier 3D graphics cards like 3Dfx if I remember correctly.

I only know of one other person to have this card, and they have used / tested it in at least one of their systems... and may be able to share more about it (Anonymous Coward): -

My Ultimate VL/EISA 486

From their thread: -

Spectrum24.jpg
Filename
Spectrum24.jpg
File size
101.09 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 67 of 129, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's not much to know really. It has 3MB of VRAM, and it can display up to 1024x768 in true colour. There is another mode that is slightly higher resolution, but it is kind of weird. It's something like 1152x910. As far as I know, this card only supports 24 bit modes...not 15 or 16-bit, at least I wasn't able to set those with the driver that I downloaded from the metropoli ftp.
As far as I know there is a VGA add-on for this card so that you don't have to use the pass through cable. Judging by the connectors, I would say that a memory expansion or decoder card may have existed, but I doubt that would be easy to find.

This card was reviewed in a 1994 issue of PCmag. When it came out in 1993 it was pretty good, but I believe cards like the S3 964 and Mach64 are faster.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 68 of 129, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys....long time no chat.

I bought a lot that included a DEC EISA pentium 60 system part out (cards, EISA motherboard w/ Pentium 60 cpu Card, proprietary PSU) and of the the cards is that SuperMac 24 EISA card. I also found an ET4000AX EISA version too, so probably going to pair those together for a Pentium 60 EISA system in the future.

I don't see any software or EISA configuration files for the SuperMac 24. Is there software available from anyone to upload to the vogons site?

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 69 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dogchainx wrote:

I bought a lot that included a DEC EISA pentium 60 system part out (cards, EISA motherboard w/ Pentium 60 cpu Card, proprietary PSU) and of the the cards is that SuperMac 24 EISA card. I also found an ET4000AX EISA version too, so probably going to pair those together for a Pentium 60 EISA system in the future.

I don't see any software or EISA configuration files for the SuperMac 24. Is there software available from anyone to upload to the vogons site?

Ahh... be careful with that ET4000AX... that is an Opti-local bus card (not EISA) I believe and may damage the card and/or board that you install it on. Have you a picture of this card?

Disk.jpg
Filename
Disk.jpg
File size
281.35 KiB
Views
File license

Coincidentally, I had just opened the box today and uploaded the disk data (see attached). Yet to scan the manual though. Enjoy!

Filename
Spectrum 24 - EISA bus - Win 3.1.rar
File size
734.92 KiB
Downloads
65 downloads
File license

Reply 70 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

There's not much to know really. It has 3MB of VRAM, and it can display up to 1024x768 in true colour. There is another mode that is slightly higher resolution, but it is kind of weird. It's something like 1152x910. As far as I know, this card only supports 24 bit modes...not 15 or 16-bit, at least I wasn't able to set those with the driver that I downloaded from the metropoli ftp.
As far as I know there is a VGA add-on for this card so that you don't have to use the pass through cable. Judging by the connectors, I would say that a memory expansion or decoder card may have existed, but I doubt that would be easy to find.

This card was reviewed in a 1994 issue of PCmag. When it came out in 1993 it was pretty good, but I believe cards like the S3 964 and Mach64 are faster.

Included in the box was a pass through VGA cable should another card with VGA core support... similar to the EISA/VL system you installed it on.

The S3 964 and Mach 64 were both VLB though?... and @ 33MHz? ... For the EISA bus Spectrum 24 even to compete against those, restricted at only 10MHz show's it was quite a strong performer for it's time.

The only other time i've seen / used this VGA pass through to piggy back a higher end graphics adaptor was with 3D cards I had back in the 90's... 3Dfx and the like. Those were good times.

Reply 71 of 129, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At 8MHz, EISA is 33MB/sec, so it's not exactly slow. In theory VLB is up to 133MB/sec. but realistically you're never going to exceed 50MB.sec.
I think in this case, whatever chip is on the card makes a bigger difference than the bus.

I don't know if I can consider the Spectrum/24 impressive compared to a Mach64 considering the price and the brute forced design method they used. It's a full length card with a bazillion ICs and appears to have 3 RAMDACs.

Reply 72 of 129, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386_junkie wrote:
Ahh... be careful with that ET4000AX... that is an Opti-local bus card (not EISA) I believe and may damage the card and/or boar […]
Show full quote
dogchainx wrote:

Ahh... be careful with that ET4000AX... that is an Opti-local bus card (not EISA) I believe and may damage the card and/or board that you install it on. Have you a picture of this card?

Disk.jpg

Coincidentally, I had just opened the box today and uploaded the disk data (see attached). Yet to scan the manual though. Enjoy!

Spectrum 24 - EISA bus - Win 3.1.rar

That's awesome! Thanks! Kudos to you to opening up a rare box like that.

And yes, its an Orchid ProDesigner IIs EISA ET4000AX card. EISA in the name, and EISA on the BIOS chip. I've never seen one before. Can't remember exactly where I got it, but when I saw it, I had to have it for my EISA builds.

Reply 73 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dogchainx wrote:

And yes, its an Orchid ProDesigner IIs EISA ET4000AX card. EISA in the name, and EISA on the BIOS chip. I've never seen one before. Can't remember exactly where I got it, but when I saw it, I had to have it for my EISA builds.

Oh really!?... there is a proper EISA card with the Tseng ET4000AX chip!? ... I had only believed there to be only Opti-local bus cards with this chip but that is awesome!

You definitely have to upload a picture of that card now if you're able and have the time.... would be great to see, thanks

Reply 74 of 129, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here it is. An actual EISA ET4000AX. I have NOT tested it yet, and I need to clean up some corrosion on the EISA fingers before I do. I'm hoping it works, but yes...EISA ET4000AX does exist. Thankfully the EISA collection has the configuration files for it. That has been invaluable for a bunch of EISA cards I have.

Attachments

• 20190420_120000.jpg
    Filename
    20190420_120000.jpg
    File size
    930.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20190420_115946.jpg
    Filename
    20190420_115946.jpg
    File size
    1004.1 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 75 of 129, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weird, I didn't know this existed...

Reply 76 of 129, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its alive....

Attachments

Reply 78 of 129, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe its from a DECpc 560ST. I'm hoping it'll fit in an ATX case with some modifications for a hacked together DECPC 560ST build. It has the front panel display connection on the motherboard that HP used in their massive netservers...would be interesting to find that front panel to see if it'll work. Apparently that front panel part has the on/off reset buttons and LCD display information?

But yeah, ET4000AX EISA alive and well!

Reply 79 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dogchainx wrote:

ET4000AX EISA alive and well!

This is good news... and should hopefully be a fairly easy comparison with a Tseng ET4000 ISA equivalent... if you plan on doing.

Thanks for posting all the pictures... great to see!

Anonymous Coward wrote:

Weird, I didn't know this existed...

Indeed.

When I initially started this thread I only had a couple of EISA graphics cards myself... with limited knowledge of many others, so I was curious to know of any other cards that were out there.

I'm pleased to have found that EISA graphics cards were produced by just about all (if not, the main competitors at least) that manufactured graphics adaptors in this time. Albeit, there are not many floating about, and we are pleasantly surprised to learn of some new oddities... like this Orchid Tseng based card.