Topic actions

Reply 40 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

I really wonder how EISA performs.

I have not done any benching as yet... still busy making the system mods, so i'll soon be benching too! 😁

Apparently though it is closely comparable with MCA bus in terms of throughput. Transfer rates will obviously be much better than regular old ISA... but still nowhere close to (33 MHz+) VLB.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 41 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It happened... not that i'm complaining, but... I found her!

6528ca463965463.jpg

ATI Mach 32... curious to see what she does for NT with a 135MHz RAMDAC.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 43 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

hmm... shows picture 😉

How well... we shall see.

Reply 44 of 129, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you bench the card, could you crank up the resolution to 1024x768 and check VGA signal quality as part of the test?

Will you include Windows benches?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 45 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

When you bench the card, could you crank up the resolution to 1024x768 and check VGA signal quality as part of the test?

Will you include Windows benches?

Ohhh yes... it will be getting a right good testing so it will!

I'm glad you asked though... as I have a question too. Windows benchmarks... are you familiar with any... particularly for NT 3.1?

Reply 46 of 129, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386_junkie wrote:
It happened... not that i'm complaining, but... I found her! http://thumbnails105.imagebam.com/46397/6528ca463965463.jpg ATI Ma […]
Show full quote

It happened... not that i'm complaining, but... I found her!
6528ca463965463.jpg
ATI Mach 32... curious to see what she does for NT with a 135MHz RAMDAC.

Have fun with the (my) card.
I am looking forward to your tests.

Attached you can find pics of the Miro Rainbow Win 4 MB EISA card = Miro Crystal 32 Eisa with 170 MHz RAMDAC.
Unfortunately some broken pins of the 928 Chip had to be fixed because it was not well packed.
But finally it works.

Attachments

• P2080067.JPG
    Filename
    P2080067.JPG
    File size
    3.52 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • P2080066.JPG
    Filename
    P2080066.JPG
    File size
    3.36 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • P2080065.JPG
    Filename
    P2080065.JPG
    File size
    2.41 MiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by moturimi1 on 2016-06-17, 21:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 47 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
moturimi1 wrote:

Attached you can find the Miro Rainbow Win 4 MB EISA card = Miro Crystal 32 Eisa with 170 MHz RAMDAC.

Thanks for posting the pics... it is some card, 4 MB and the RAMDAC... all on the EISA Bus! 😎

Reply 48 of 129, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I might have gotten a ISA/EISA 386/486 combo motherboard... not tested yet, so can't really say I'm on the lookout for EISA graphic card 😀

Would be nice to see some real world performance - 386_junkie? 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 49 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

I might have gotten a ISA/EISA 386/486 combo motherboard... not tested yet

Which motherboard? Have you any pictures?

Results will be coming soon, but from early function testing... the ATI Mach32 and Matrox S3 805 are front runners.

Reply 50 of 129, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone had a chance to try the 2MB Compaq QVision EISA SVGA cards? I once had the 4MB Elsa Winner 2000, and I found it didn't really seem to take advantage of the EISA bus. I seem to remember Qvisions being held in fairly high regard, and the fact that Compaq was in the gang of nine gives them some credibility.

I might have gotten a ISA/EISA 386/486 combo motherboard.

Do these actually exist? I may have seen such a thing with a HiNT chipset, but sadly HiNT doesn't support the full EISA specification.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 51 of 129, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:
kixs wrote:

I might have gotten a ISA/EISA 386/486 combo motherboard... not tested yet

Which motherboard? Have you any pictures?

Results will be coming soon, but from early function testing... the ATI Mach32 and Matrox S3 805 are front runners.

I'll take a picture and post it sometime tonight. It has one EISA slot - well at least it looks like it 😉

I'd like to see how EISA cards compare to ISA and VLB in DOS and Windows. I don't have any EISA VGA cards.

Reply 52 of 129, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If there's only 1 slot, it's almost certainly OPTi local bus or proprietary expansion bus. If it were HiNT mini-EISA, half the slots would be 32-bit. Generally on real EISA boards all or most of the slots are 32-bit.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 54 of 129, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's this board:
http://molka.x86-guide.com/en/collection_dive … pu-no238-1.html

Just tested it and it won't post - no video signal at all. I haven't had the chance to test it when I got it... but I guess it might be in that 10% of components that fail 🙁 Will try again later...

Reply 55 of 129, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

It's this board:
http://molka.x86-guide.com/en/collection_dive … pu-no238-1.html

Just tested it and it won't post - no video signal at all. I haven't had the chance to test it when I got it... but I guess it might be in that 10% of components that fail 🙁 Will try again later...

This is the OPTI Local Bus. There are cards with Tseng ET4000AX out there that fit into this slot. On the card you can read "Local Bus".
I had one and thought it was broken because it did not post in an EISA board. Nowadays I know that these only work in the OPTI Locas bus boards.

Reply 56 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Has anyone had a chance to try the 2MB Compaq QVision EISA SVGA cards? I once had the 4MB Elsa Winner 2000, and I found it didn't really seem to take advantage of the EISA bus. I seem to remember Qvisions being held in fairly high regard, and the fact that Compaq was in the gang of nine gives them some credibility.

The Compaq QVision and the later released Compaq Advanced VGA are both in the queue.

Reply 57 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Currently bench-marking and logging the results all the EISA graphics cards I have on Compaq's Systempro.

I have eight cards to use: -

Artist XJ1000 (GPX)
ATI Mach32
AIR Aview2E (S3 924)
Generic (S3 911)
ELSA Winner 1000 (S3 928)
Matrox (S3 805)
Compaq Qvision
Compaq Advanced VGA

I'll be using both Dos and Windows benchmark programs; -

DOS
3dBench 1 & 2
PCBench
Doom

Windows NT
Windsock 3.30
Wintune 2.0
Winbench 4
Winbench 9 (95 v1.10)

If anyone has anymore graphics bench-marking programs for DOS let me know thanks. The above Windows benchmark programs are the only one's I can get working on NT... so far.

Afterwards I may look to bench all available ISA cards of similar or same chipset, also on the Systempro. The database may get quite big, though comprehensive enough.

Thanks

Reply 59 of 129, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

I like your project of benching many EISA cards

Against hopefully the same chipset versions in ISA.

kixs wrote:

Will do the same with my VLB cards... eventually

Yes. 😀